Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:25:23 AM EDT
I have been reading through all the treads concerning these two sights and I still am having trouble making up my mind.  Is one of significantly better quality than the other?  Also, has Troy got the leaning issue resolved or has this just been blown out of proportion?  

Thanks,
Kevin
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used both for several months each and prefer the Troy.  The lever on the 40L is shorter than the regualr 40 and its just enough harder to flip the lever due to reduced leverage that I fail to flip it if I am in a big hurry.  The 40L starts with the small aperature and the Troy with the large.  I perfer startig with the large aperature.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#2]
i have one of each....the #40LSP is great...I love that flip up feature with the spring. The only thing I dont like is that when switching apetures its a pain since they are sandwiched right on top of each other and you have to flip the one down by a little lip to access the other.. The nice thing is that one of the apetures can be removed if you never use it. Fits on straight on my recievers. The 2 fronts and 1 rear Troys I have are all Crooked worse than a Leupold reticle.

I finally got mine back from TRoy today with the mods....They ended up shimming it up the middle to account for the difference in the reciever heights. I think Troy has left too much tolerance into their designs for accomodating different recievers that led to this whole problem. Otherwise a good sight but I dont like the fact that windage is very difficult to adjust unless you have leathery skin or get a tool or get the modified one from SKD.

The only reason I got the TROy is tkeep the brands consistent on my rifle and ARMS does not sell a flip up front site that fits on a freefloat. But if they all cant a little then the zeroing wont be a problem but if the front is straight and the rears a crooked then you wont zero.

I have fitted mine on 2 RRA recievers, 1KAC and 1Larue freefloats and they all cant....

I havent tried the ones with the mods since I just got em and will have to wait till I get home...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi I have both a ARMs40 and a Troy rear. Love both. I do like that the troy locks in the up postion. the ARMs uses a spring to keep it up. And my only concern is if the spring brakes(murffeys law) the ARMS wont work. But both are top quality.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The government tested the hell out of a lot of backup sights and contracts were awarded to KAC and Arms. I'd stick with what they use.

I've also personally seen the locking mechanism on a troy sight break.......never seen a spring bust on a number #40.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top