Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2005 2:50:03 PM EDT
Here's the deal:

I've got an AR10A4 Carbine to use as my main go-to/SHTF/HD/zombie weapon. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 scope with the Z-plex reticle on it right now, but I'm hearing the siren song of the TA11E ACOG. I've only messed with the ACOGs a little bit, but I've got to consider that I've already got a 3.5X scope on it right now.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
53Vortec
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#1]
personally i would keep the ziess to keep the range on the ar10 but thr ta11 is nice
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a 1-4x would be more useful?

Simon
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Zeiss= paid 4
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, it looks like th ACOG has pulled into the lead. Anybody care to offer a reason why I should go that route?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
WEll, my vote went to the ACOG because when the zombies break through your FPF you can still use it as a CQB site (BAC). The Zeiss 3.5x10 would be out of luck trying to kill the undead inside of 20m.
Always remember HEAD SHOTS on the undead. Just like in the movies.

KILO OUT
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
WEll, my vote went to the ACOG because when the zombies break through your FPF you can still use it as a CQB site (BAC). The Zeiss 3.5x10 would be out of luck trying to kill the undead inside of 20m.
Always remember HEAD SHOTS on the undead. Just like in the movies.

KILO OUT

True, although I do have QD rings and iron sights for the rifle.

I'll admit, part of my issue is spending money on an optic that costs as much as another gun (or 1/2 an LRB). I thought I'd read that the BAC didn't work too well at 10-40 yards? I've only fiddle-fucked with ACOGs on base, never shot one on a range.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]
53V - same sorta issue going on in this locale.....

Moving (scratch that) running away from an ACOG now....

I have had several ACOGs, and still have one on an M4geee

The AR10 in question is to be set up to do anything - 18" tube, collapsable, yada, yada

I am looking toward 1 - 4x  and good glass, long battery life, ranging, front focal .....

I can not afford a short dot.

Toe tapping until the NF is available and someone writes a review......

Loopy 1.5 - 5 seems reasonable but the glass on Loopy has never wowed me, and way too many QC issues as of late to throw $730 at it  on a gamble

Horus - great concept but  too many reports of loosing zero - (I knwo Hakko is no longer making them)

USO - crappy battery life, duribility is suspect, and goofy .625 adjustment values to the turrets; but great glass

I saw an advertisment in Precision Shooting (I thought?) for an Xotic low power - but their site does not mention it

If you haven't already - read Grant's review of 1- 4 optics.

Good luck

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
53V - same sorta issue going on in this locale.....

Moving (scratch that) running away from an ACOG now....

I have had several ACOGs, and still have one on an M4geee

The AR10 in question is to be set up to do anything - 18" tube, collapsable, yada, yada

<snip>

If you haven't already - read Grant's review of 1- 4 optics.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. What's causing you to run from the ACOGs?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know why you would switch from a really good variable on a .308 to a fixed power optic.  Seems like you are thinking of taking a step backward.  If you need low power, you've got it with the Zeiss.  If you want more magnification, you have it with the Zeiss.  If you need longer eye relief, you have it with the Zeiss.  If you plan on doing CQB with your AR-10, then the ACOG is still not ideal.  Stick with what you have.

my $0.02.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks for the info. What's causing you to run from the ACOGs?

Don't get me wrong I think they are great but I think they are a compromise - not really fast for in close, not really precise for far away. They do everything fairly well but aren't great at any one thing.

I have been using one form or another on a 5.56 for 3 gun for 3 yrs. I have on many ocassions used a donut out to 650 - so I am fairly familiar with what they can and can not do.

In low light, no light, fog - the trit can be overwhelming for a precise shot at a distance - an adj lit ret would be better.

Ranging doesn't  work / work well with most models in low light, no light, fog - in fact most mods don't have trit beyond 300 yrd stadia and again it can be overpowering.

Coin slot adj turrets

Forced 100 yrd zero

No butler creeks - sounds like a small bitch (and it is) none the less it is not so much when you're stomping through the snow, rain, and mud and go to pull up only to have water and mud on the rear obj.

And most of all - given the options that are out there or that are headed our way soon - for about the same price point, an ACOG is yesterday's option - there is a better way.

YMMV

Good luck

Really looking forward to hearing about the new NF.......

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a TA11 ACOG and I like it a lot; but the Zeiss is probably better for that rifle in that it lets you make better use of the extra range on the AR10.

The ACOG is a more general purpose sight and does a lot of things well; but doesn't excel in any one area. A variable scope with an illuminated reticle is more versatile than the ACOG in a lot of scenarios and has some advantages as well.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top