Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/16/2005 4:29:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 4:30:35 PM EDT by Grampa]
Yeah, I know...

What's your personal preference and why?

Towards the back of the flat top rail, close to your eye?
All the way forward on the lower receiver rail?
Even more forward, on the free-float, railed handguard?
On some sort of riser?
High AND forward?

I've seen several different pictures with them mounted all over, and am curious what the different thoughts are. Is there a focal length that must be maintained to see the dot and circle best in focus?

Grampa

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:32:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Grampa:
Yeah, I know...

On some sort of riser?
High AND forward?

I've seen several different pictures with them mounted all over, and am curious what the different thoughts are. Is there a focal length that must be maintained to see the dot and circle best in focus?

Grampa

As far up front as you can stand and still hit things. Allows good field of view - situational awareness.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:39:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By _DR:

Originally Posted By Grampa:
Yeah, I know...

On some sort of riser?
High AND forward?

Grampa

As far up front as you can stand and still hit things. Allows good field of view - situational awareness.

+1
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:47:08 PM EDT
I have mine mounted on a YHM mini riser and as far forward as the M4 handguards allow. There is just enough room to "work the buttons" with the BUIS installed. Will try to get a pic tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:56:01 PM EDT

Appreciate the pics. I would have anticipated that you'd want it closer to your eye, but far enough away to clearly see the display. You want yours raised up a bit, huh? I won't buy another YHM product (they did me wrong on a direct order) but I see several other riser rails available.

My Eotech is coming! :)

Grampa
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 4:29:32 PM EDT by Milldude]
OK- here are the pics.

I picked the YHM because it is 1/4". The RRA dominator would be a great mount as it has a BUIS. I dont know if there are others making a 1/4" elevator. I have never tried it, but I believe anything taller and you would have a difficult time "co-witnessing". Anyway, congrats on the Eotech!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:57:06 PM EDT
Mount it on the RRA Dominator mount. This is the best way to mount the EOTech. Gets it up a little to clear the front sight tower and you have a built in BUIS.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:16:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 6:18:31 PM EDT by mfingar]

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:32:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Milldude:
I have mine mounted on a YHM mini riser and as far forward as the M4 handguards allow. There is just enough room to "work the buttons" with the BUIS installed. Will try to get a pic tomorrow.

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:33:05 PM EDT
I mounted mine in my living room while watching TV.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 10:10:18 PM EDT by WIZZO_ARAKM14]
Straight to the flattop.

I like it where it is and don't want it out any further because it might upset the balance of the rifle (I like the weight balanced more towards the rear so the rifle swings quicker)

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:00:49 AM EDT
mfingar - Whoa! That's impressive! My rifle is a bit more simple. Much more like yours, wizzo. 'Cept I have a free float tube.

I have a Larue BUIS and an ARMS 40A2, but am not sure which one, if either, I'll use on this rifle. At this point, I do not have a front sight, only a gas block with a top rail. I do have a GGG riser rail, but it's about 1/2" higher. I'm looking forward to trying this out in a variety of configurations, to find what works for me.

Grampa

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:07:16 AM EDT
I have an A2 with an ARMS 39 mount...it mounts on top of the carry handle, then drops down over the hand guard. Would you mount an Eotech that far forward...over the hand guards?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:23:18 PM EDT
Should a AA EOTech span the gap on a LaRue rail system? I have the tip of mine sitting over the barrel nut but i'd like it out further. I can't decide of my LT isn't timed properly or it just isn't going to happen without a riser.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:46:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Nick710:
Mount it on the RRA Dominator mount. This is the best way to mount the EOTech. Gets it up a little to clear the front sight tower and you have a built in BUIS.

+1 I think co-witnessing is over rated. I used a Dominator for months in Iraq and really liked it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:08:38 PM EDT
When it's mounted directly to the flat top, you have to deal with a whole lot of FSB in your sight picture. I personally found this disturbing however, YMMV. Here is a pic of my SBR with EOTech mounted on the RRA Dominator mount. It raises the EOTech a little getting the FSB down toward the bottom of the FOV, yet still allowing for a good co-witness.

Top Top