Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 9:17:10 AM EDT
I bought some scope rings that are 2-piece, side-by-side, not top-bottom.

All the instructions I've read about lapping the rings assumes a top-bottom configuraiton, where you only lap the bottom of the rings.

The only feasible way to lap the side-by-side variant is to lap the entire assembly.  Do people generally do this?  Is there anything I should watch out for?  BTW, these are Warne rings, not Larue SPR.

Anyone ever tried the epoxy bedding method, where you coat the scope with release (wax), then 'bed' the scope in the ring with epoxy?  Apparently it makes for a good fit and you can still remove scope after the epoxy cures.

Also, these are QD rings, and I plan to take them on/off occasionally (to use by BUIS).  Assuming I put them back on the same rifle at the same spot, the lapping should still be helpful in preventing binding and deformation of the scope.  Anyone disagree?  I figure it won't hurt to lap them, even if they are QD rings.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you put the rings together and used an inside mic on them? Usually the vertical split rings are pretty good tolerance wise. Put them together at the torque spec which should be listed in the instructions. It's usually 25 to 30 inch pounds. Then check to see how the left side mates with the right side.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, I'll measure them.  But how does that impact their alignment between the rings.  I thought one of the main reasons to lap rings (after mounting them to the rifle) was to ensure they were in good alignment with each other, so the scope tube is not bent or twisted.  The secondary reason to lap is to get a lot of surface contact and a good grip on the scope.

I feel a little stuck.  I'm not sure if lapping these rings will do any good.  The vertical split QD rings have to be mounted to the scope first, then to the rail.  If I mount them to the rail to lap them, then I have to remove them to install the scope, then re-mount them.  After the re-mount, I don't know if the lapping will have the desired effect.  I guess it won't hurt.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, you're right. One of the reasons to lap rings is to make sure they have the same center axis, and another is to make sure that the two halves mate properly.

There's a lot of things that can twist the tube body of a scope: receivers are tapped with a tolerance; bases are milled within a tolerance; rings are manufactured within a tolerance; and two piece scope bodies will have a tolerance which will be worse than a milled body, but the one piece body also has a tolerance in its milling. The worst part is that all errors are accumlative.

(Scopes as a system also have a tolerance that they are built to; for example, a hunting scope will generally have an inherent error of 1 to 1.5 MOA compared to a varminting scope which is controlled down to 1/2 MOA. This refers to the fact that the internals of a scope don't quite settle in the exact same place as before the shot. The more control over this error, the more you pay for the scope.)

The good news is that with modern milling techniques (CNC machines are almost everywhere now adays) errors are very small even when they are all added up.

For us normal guys, I would say you don't have to lap rings unless you reallly need to correct a problem, or if you have a rifle that experiences around 1200g or more for a recoil, and you didn't buy the high end Badger, DD Ross, Talley, etc. rings and mounts.

So if you put the rings together and they aren't round inside, then lap them. Otherwise, I'm sure they will be fine for you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Gr8,

I have a lot of miles and a lot of rounds with AR's in assorted calibers and with a slew of scopes.  I would not worry too much about the lapping.  I have lapped a few rings over the years, mostly because I read it's a good idea. Never on any of my AR's.

I would certainly not be concerned about scope slippage.  My 458 has never let a scope go, with rings that are lesser quality then your Warne rings.  Proper torqing and Loctite will hold just about any caliber in decent rings.  The bedding idea is way overkill, IMHO.

If you think that you have an irregularity on your mounting rail, that might be the only reason I would lap them.  This would be pretty easy to check by partially tightening the rings on your lapping bar, and giving things a few strokes.  Pull them apart and check them over.

Craig
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top