BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I can tell from reading this the average age of the fake ACOG cheerleaders is about 15.

Attention on deck, you get what you pay for.

Dont be fooled by your "Made in China- cheap junk is good" childhood.  If you cant see why these are a waste of money, you know what they say.......

A fool and his money are soon parted.

We have all owned cheap scopes once upon a time, usually we paid todays equivelant of $20, not 8 times that much. And we have all learned from cheap scopes, they are what they are. You might as well throw it out the window while riding down the highway, because even if you send them $200, you still dont have an ACOG, like airsoft, its still poserwear.
Damn, and here I thought the dumber element of this society had got about as stupid as they could ever possibly get.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Gear designed for airsoft, paintball and .22 caliber use is designed to withstand the rigors of those uses, nothing more. Might you be able to get by with them on an AR15 at the range or for plinking?

Sure, if it fails, throw it away and you have only wasted your hard earned (or not hard earned) cash.

But if you ever envisage using your AR15 for any serious purpose, then use of such items is foolhardy.

As for myself, I cannot say that my firearms will never be put to serious use.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]
For me (well above 15 and never cheerled for anyone!) I have some very serious weapons, some oddities that warm my heart, a few POS guns, and some fun plinking guns that span from very nice quality to average quality.  I really see no problem putting whatever a person wants on their weapons, personally I put the quality stuff on the serious weapons and most every other weapon also, however, I am not opposed to a lower quality optic on a plinker.  I have the aimpoint look alike ( not act-alike) on my .45 Storm.  I am very pleased with it.  It let me try an Aimpoint style optic ( I have two EoTechs, one on a AR and one on a Benelli M1 S90) and by purchasing the copy I was able to buy all the other accesories for the Storm right away( that Beretta stuff adds up quick).

Simply, no expectations, no let downs.  I know what I purchased and I would never represent it as anything but a decent copy.  Then again I don't need anonymity on a forum or high speed accesories on my weapons to define myself.

I always thought it was about everyone having some fun trigger time...   Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]

I can tell from reading this the average age of the fake ACOG cheerleaders is about 15.

Well the user of this Aimpoint cloned .22 AR is 13 years old. But that's the only place this optic will ever see use.........ON A 13 YR OLDS .22!

These optics do have there place, as stated:

Gear designed for airsoft, paintball and .22 caliber use is designed to withstand the rigors of those uses, nothing more.  

And that’s exactly where this cloned Aimpoint resides. As long as the user/buyer accepts that fact then all is well. For an intro to red dots or for those strapped for cash who can’t afford the real deal, these are the way to go. Just don’t expect the same reliability as the higher end optics in a SHTF situation!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For me (well above 15 and never cheerled for anyone!) I have some very serious weapons, some oddities that warm my heart, a few POS guns, and some fun plinking guns that span from very nice ...................................

I always thought it was about everyone having some fun trigger time...   Just my 2 cents...

Well said Away2, compliments exactly the point I’m trying to make.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just picked one up as well.  The sight is nice and hefty, optics clear and after 200 rounds held its grouping.  I can't complain, especially about the price!  With the savings, I built another M-4!  I would recommend this as a great sight for anyone who would love a Trijicon but can't come up with the cash.  Yeah, no tritium, but really, who on this list shoots that much in total darkness?

www.hunt101.com/img/349804.jpg

Now you need to paint the scope to complete the look.  That's one point in the knockoff's favor, if you want to pain't it, you aren't turning a $1000 scope into a $300 scope.  Personally, I wouldn't want anything to do with painting an ACOG, whereas, if I F'up a cheapie on a botched paint job, who cares?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quib,

Be warned! My nine and ten year old daughters quickly bored of the "lesser quality" and smaller bore stuff and now I know I won't shoot the AR's or HK's much when they are with me.  No matter how many 22.s I bring I get "the look" when I want my stuff.  Wouldn't trade it for anything...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#8]
pictures?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Attention on deck, you get what you pay for.

Dont be fooled by your "Made in China- cheap junk is good" childhood.  If you cant see why these are a waste of money, you know what they say.......

A fool and his money are soon parted.

We have all owned cheap scopes once upon a time, usually we paid todays equivelant of $20, not 8 times that much. And we have all learned from cheap scopes, they are what they are. You might as well throw it out the window while riding down the highway, because even if you send them $200, you still dont have an ACOG, like airsoft, its still poserwear.

Damn, and here I thought the dumber element of this society had got about as stupid as they could ever possibly get.

head.gif

Fifteen years? Now there's a well informed opinion. Your school yard tactics place you at somewhere just below junior high. (Just my 51 year old opinion).

"Don't be fooled" is unfortunately what Ford and Chevy said when Toyota and Honda first started importing cars to the USA.

Poserwear? Like a bunch of grown men who are not LEO or military playing with AR's aren't posers in one way or another? Hey, I can take it, it's all in the name of good fun. Just be clear on who you are calling "poser" as they might be more qualified than you think.

If someone can build an AR and go out, have fun and maybe turn someone else on to the shooting sports by saving a bit of money on gear, then more power to him. Sure, we all want the real deal but cutting corners on non-essential items is a necessary evil for most of us in some aspect.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]
"I can tell from reading this the average age of the fake ACOG cheerleaders is about 15."

You can't legally own an AR15 at age 15.  That is purely an insult aimed at an opposing element in a debate and is a juvenile argument.  

I have a little experience with optics.  I own a US Optics SN3 3.2-17x44 with 35mm upgrade tube.  I also own one of those 3-9x42 BEC scopes with the 55 grain BDC cam which sits on my Ruger .22lr.  

I am not unhappy with the Bec. it is a cheap scope but has a lot of features including a lit reticle, 1/4 inch clicks and a BDC and is variable powered.   I don't remember exactly but I think the US Optics upgrade to lit reticle is $145-- my bec has what looks like the same mechanism and 2032 battery for it's $60 price The reticle has tics for holdover which I have watched my brother successfully use small game hunting to obtain first round kills on rabbits at 110 yards with Aguila SSS.  

As far as the rigors of use comment-- I wouldn't reccomend anyone buy below top rack for real use in an inteded military role, but that doesn't mean that this optic might not be great for hunters and target shooters.  

I understand that the ACOG in question is NOT AN ACTUAL ACOG-- it will undoubtably come with lower quality glass and obviously without tritium.  The lit reticle can be addressed with devices availible on the market for around $25 if need be.  If that reticle ranges targets and compensates for M855 drop to 600meters it is worth every penny-- there is no competing product in its price range if this works out.

You seem to be forgetting the benefits of rugged compact design, 4 power magnification and an advanced reticle design.

There are cheap and expensive optics for a reason-- there are places for both

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quib,

Be warned! My nine and ten year old daughters quickly bored of the "lesser quality" and smaller bore stuff and now I know I won't shoot the AR's or HK's much when they are with me.  No matter how many 22.s I bring I get "the look" when I want my stuff.  Wouldn't trade it for anything...

Well, when my boy is tired of shooting .22 then out comes the M261 conversion and in goes the standard bolt and carrier.................I planned ahead!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Ha! Touche'
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You seem to be forgetting the benefits of rugged compact design

Airsoft optics and "rugged" are mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#14]
double post
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer the 70$$  to thirtyfive dollar 50% off BSA pellet gun scope for my Junk optic. It holds a zero, always has even on a .308, and It has hand turret adjustments. It is the scope I mount when I am saving for a aimpoint .... or in my newest case a leopold Sp?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I like my A(CL)OG, and it looks great on my DPMS Panther Carbine....Flame on. (I just watched the Fantastic 4)
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope I don't sound like an optics snob, even though I have a genuine TA31F.  But let me just add that I too started with cheap chinese scopes due to budget issues, and they NEVER held zero which essentially made them useless even for plinking (how fun is it to be all over the place?!?!?).  I wasted $200 total on two scopes (that's 1500 rounds of XM193), only to end up buying an ACOG later when I saw a NIB off Product Wizard last year for $815.  The chinese crap I can't even resell on EE, ebay or gunbroker.  So I'm out the $200.  I can re-sell the ACOG for $1000.      
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I hope I don't sound like an optics snob, even though I have a genuine TA31F.  But let me just add that I too started with cheap chinese scopes due to budget issues, and they NEVER held zero which essentially made them useless even for plinking (how fun is it to be all over the place?!?!?).  I wasted $200 total on two scopes (that's 1500 rounds of XM193), only to end up buying an ACOG later when I saw a NIB off Product Wizard last year for $815.  The chinese crap I can't even resell on EE, ebay or gunbroker.  So I'm out the $200.  I can re-sell the ACOG for $1000.      

Yep, there is specific place for cheap chinese optics that don't hold zero:

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I aggree that I haven't got time for optics that don't hold there zero.  Or optics with ajustments that don't track.

That hasn't been my experience with Bec.  That hasn't been my experience with Airsoft aimpoints.

Really the only scopes I saw that in recently were BSA and a really cheap Simmons that came as part of a package deal on a friends SS A-bolt.  

The Simmons 3-9 had the crosshairs fall out and spin 45degrees sideways while the BSA's just don't track for crap.  IE vertical for BSA = diagonal in my experience with the early BSA cheap scopes-- I wouldn't want to waste time with them so I stay away from BSA now.

It does however sound like some people here would rather acuse without factual information here.  The people actually using the ACOG copy don't seem to evidence that-- people with scopes that wander or don't track properly are generally frustrated people.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:10:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I aggree that I haven't got time for optics that don't hold there zero.  Or optics with ajustments that don't track.

That hasn't been my experience with Bec.  That hasn't been my experience with Airsoft aimpoints.

Really the only scopes I saw that in recently were BSA and a really cheap Simmons that came as part of a package deal on a friends SS A-bolt.  

The Simmons 3-9 had the crosshairs fall out and spin 45degrees sideways while the BSA's just don't track for crap.  IE vertical for BSA = diagonal in my experience with the early BSA cheap scopes-- I wouldn't want to waste time with them so I stay away from BSA now.

It does however sound like some people here would rather acuse without factual information here.  The people actually using the ACOG copy don't seem to evidence that-- people with scopes that wander or don't track properly are generally frustrated people.

Easy there, everyone has their opinion. Good luck with arguing the virtues of Airsoft gear on a firearms enthusiast forum. I for one wish AIRSOFT all and it's associated junk would just go away.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Lets look at this from another angle.

Forget ACOG.  Would you consider a $150-200 4x scope for your hunting rifle to be a cheap piece of junk that wouldn't hold up?  Probably not.  There are a ton of them in that price range that work just fine.  No, they probably won't hold up to being dropped 3 feet and landing on the scope on concrete, but for most purposes they work just fine.

Most of the people on this board are buying scopes for civilian usage.  They aren't taking them to Iraq or Afghanistan to pop jihadis.  Tritium?  How many use their scopes at night when the tritium actually makes a difference?  Very few.  For those few who shoot at night and/or are going into combat, an ACOG replica is inappropriate.

I am getting a mount for my FAL with a slot for mounting an ACOG directly to the mount.  The hole in the bridge is in line with the iron sights.  I figure this combo will be perfectly adequate for my sporting use.  It doesn't have the BAC feature, but it doesn't cost $1000 either.

I haven't heard of these things breaking in normal usage, have you?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
For me (well above 15 and never cheerled for anyone!) I have some very serious weapons, some oddities that warm my heart, a few POS guns, and some fun plinking guns that span from very nice quality to average quality.  I really see no problem putting whatever a person wants on their weapons, personally I put the quality stuff on the serious weapons and most every other weapon also, however, I am not opposed to a lower quality optic on a plinker.  I have the aimpoint look alike ( not act-alike) on my .45 Storm.  I am very pleased with it.  It let me try an Aimpoint style optic ( I have two EoTechs, one on a AR and one on a Benelli M1 S90) and by purchasing the copy I was able to buy all the other accesories for the Storm right away( that Beretta stuff adds up quick).

Simply, no expectations, no let downs.  I know what I purchased and I would never represent it as anything but a decent copy.  Then again I don't need anonymity on a forum or high speed accesories on my weapons to define myself.

Well put!  I can't believe the BS people are typing into this thread, and have no data to support their positions.  I would doubt half of the "purists" actually own a brand name Trijicon ACOG.  I bought an ACOG copy to use as a general beat around sight.  When it arrived it was much better than I expected.  They are not rubber coated, they are forged and painted with some kind of durable black paint.  I am going to repaint mine to match the digital paint job on my M-4.

BTW CavVet, since you are a self proclaimed claravoyant, guess my age.  I'll give you a little hint.  I'm retired from the United States Army with 22 years service...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Hi guys,

I have researched everything I can find on this Canadian 'clone seller' on Ebay and his products for several days now.
Here's his 1337Tactical Ebay store.
http://stores.ebay.ca/1337Tactical_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm
His name is Jon and he is here in the EE forum as well.
Every post I have found from here and from Ebay regarding him and his products are totally positive. There are other 'Chinese clone' vendors on Ebay with what appears to be these same products, but I have only focused on Jon's offerings.

There are extensive threads here in the Optics forum about his version of an AimPoint clone that so far everyone is very happy with. Many of these guys who have them are posting pics of them next to their real AimPoints and simply love the darned things. No one has has reported a recoil blowout, or any issues at all with these minor exceptions...
The caps are a little weak, but can be replaced with AimPoint's or other caps.
One guy had a battery connection issue with his retainer cap, but he cleared it up and has shot it since several hundred rounds with no problems.
Killflash won't fit.

I have a real Acog TA11 BAC /ARMS 19S and it is the perhaps the finest piece of equipment I own. It's brightness and clarity are truly awe inspiring. When people look through an a TA11 for the first time they invaribly gasp and say "wow". It's lower magnification, longer eye relief, 10mm exit pupil, and wider field of view make it the brightest of the bunch.

Alot of focus is on  the 'tritium' in ACOGs, but that is the least important element of what makes a typical Trijicon product so great. It's the self adjusting light gathering fiber optic lighting the reticle. No batteries and no contols what so ever is what makes an ACOG an ACOG, and people will pay for it. The tritium is only visible in very dark situations, where target identification becomes difficult at best. Crank up a visible weapon light and again the fiber lights the reticle, or it appears dark against a light background, automaticaly. No fiddling with brightness switches, ever.

But alas my weapons budget is nearly dry this year, and so I can't try to outspend the defence department this season on small arms!

So I am buying a ACLOG from Jon for my son. It does not have a fiber optic light gatherer, but I don't see a fiber on the real TA01 either, so I'm not sure how it generates it's reticle, but in real ACOGs I prefer a 'red donut' to the other reticles anyway. So a red or black cross hair ACLOG for $160 sounds pretty good to me for now to play around with.

So it is not so much of a 'clone' really. The AimPoint the guy has is a more 'exact' replica it appears.

Just my 2cents on Jon as a remarkably reliable vendor and his 'replica' products that so far are reported to be excellent values for non-combat sighting solutions.

If this works out I want a visible green laser to play with too... for less $$$ than a good mount

Merry Christmas to all,
Nuts{WoC}

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes, I am also looking at the laser, it looks like a great addition to my aforementioned range toy, the Storm!  

I shot my Storm this Sunday at a local range (Markham Park).  The attention it got was very unexpected.  Every one loved the gun (lets be honest, we all love being the proud parent of a weapon at the range!!) and everybody thought it was a real Aimpoint.  I let a few people run a couple of mags through it.  Surprisingly nobody seemed disappointed when I told them it was a copy.  One guy who owned a "few Aimpoints" said he could not tell the difference except for the logos.  He even asked if that was a GGG mount!  After I told him about the mount (the high mount) and the price, he wanted to know how to get one.

I am extremely happy with the purchase, a rare combination of great value and great product.

The laser or my kids braces?  I need some time on this one...

Kidding, have a safe and good holiday
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am extremely happy with the purchase, a rare combination of great value and great product.

Hey, finally some sanity returning to the forum. Not everyone can afford or justify the "real-deal" but still want the pride associated with a well-equiped, good looking weapon. Good product and a good value, sounds like a winner to me. BTW, I have corresponded with Jon and can back up what NutsWoC stated, he sure seems to be a good person who stands behind his products.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#26]
haha

I'm probably going to buy one of these knock offs to try it out on my M4gery. If it doesn't hold its zero, then i can re-sell it on e-bay to airsofters?

No biggie.

PS, who wants to sell me their ACOG knock offs for my little brother's airsoft rifles?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#27]
tag.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top