BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
what you dont think i tried to adjust it after switching rifles and why would trijicon send me a new one if i was so incappable of zeroing the piece of crap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
what you dont think i tried to adjust it after switching rifles and why would trijicon send me a new one if i was so incappable of zeroing the piece of crap.

Wow, your the first person I've ever heard refer to an ACOG as a piece of crap. How do you expect us to take you serious if your rifle sat in a safe unmolested for four years. I own two ACOGs, a TA-11 and a TA31F. Both are awsome optics. The TA31F was only 3" off the mark right out of the box. The TA-11 I bought used from the EE and I screwed the adjustments up trying to bore sight it, big mistake. One trip to the range and she was dead on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

When/If you get your compact back, I'll offer you $250 for it. I want a compact acog in a bad way, just can't afford it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
News Flash...I've owned several sets of  tritium charged night sights over the years and anytime I left them in my gun safe (deprived of any light source whatsoever) for even 6 months to a year (let alone 4 years) the sights lost a considerable amount of their  brightness...as in...I could barely see'em glow...until they were exposed to an hour or two worth of sunligt...or better yet?...a strobe flash pulse from a camera...which woke'em up like right now...and I've found this true of all Trijicon, Meprolight and Advanced Weaponry tritium charged night sights...but 4 years in a gun safe?...that right there is "Tritium Night Sight Abuse" in my book.

Wtf??? Is this true? Why would a light source have anything to do with radioactive decay of tritium?  It doesn't "charge up" from light like "glow in the dark" stuff does.  That's crazy wierd.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
News Flash...I've owned several sets of  tritium charged night sights over the years and anytime I left them in my gun safe (deprived of any light source whatsoever) for even 6 months to a year (let alone 4 years) the sights lost a considerable amount of their  brightness...as in...I could barely see'em glow...until they were exposed to an hour or two worth of sunligt...or better yet?...a strobe flash pulse from a camera...which woke'em up like right now...and I've found this true of all Trijicon, Meprolight and Advanced Weaponry tritium charged night sights...but 4 years in a gun safe?...that right there is "Tritium Night Sight Abuse" in my book.

Wtf??? Is this true? Why would a light source have anything to do with radioactive decay of tritium?  It doesn't "charge up" from light like "glow in the dark" stuff does.  That's crazy wierd.

SNorman...congratulations...I knew someone would "catch that" and quite frankly I expected it a lot sooner annnnnd...I completely understand your questioning of such a statement....as I usta think the same...however, my years of experience dictates otherwise and I've found that regardless of a .1nm tritium lamps charge of radiation is greatly affected by how much darkness or light it's subjected to...I had trijicon night sights on several of my IPSC pistols and the night before a match?...after the pistol spent a couple weeks in my safe?...they'd be kinda wimpy glow wise...but after 3/4's of a day worth of competition and being exposed to sunlight?...I'd clean that pistol after dinner and go to put it back in the safe and I would be like...Holy $hit!!!..look at them fuggers GLOW!...looked like a damn landing strip at JFK...so there's not a doubt in my mind that exposure to sunlight does STIMULATE the heck out of tritium...and the prolonged lack thereof definantly has an opposite affect...not quite near as dramatic or quick of a change as sunlight but...kept in a state of prolonged darkness they definantly will become less lively over time...but will charge right back up with sunlight...but even I would question 4 years....that's been my experience anyways.

L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNorman...congratulations...I knew someone would "catch that" and quite frankly I expected it a lot sooner annnnnd...I completely understand your questioning of such a statement....as I usta think the same...however, my years of experience dictates otherwise and I've found that regardless of a .1nm tritium lamps charge of radiation is greatly affected by how much darkness or light it's subjected to...I had trijicon night sights on several of my IPSC pistols and the night before a match?...after the pistol spent a couple weeks in my safe?...they'd be kinda wimpy glow wise...but after 3/4's of a day worth of competition and being exposed to sunlight?...I'd clean that pistol after dinner and go to put it back in the safe and I would be like...Holy $hit!!!..look at them fuggers GLOW!...looked like a damn landing strip at JFK...so there's not a doubt in my mind that exposure to sunlight does STIMULATE the heck out of tritium...and the prolonged lack thereof definantly has an opposite affect...not quite near as dramatic or quick of a change as sunlight but...kept in a state of prolonged darkness they definantly will become less lively over time...but will charge right back up with sunlight...but even I would question 4 years....that's been my experience anyways.

L8R, Bill.

Do you think maybe the effect has something to do with the film that glows when exposed to the radiation from the tritium?   That's the first I've heard of this.  Coincidentally, I just got a pistol with night sights, for the first time in my life just about a month ago!  So this kind of interests me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
i love acogs!

just recieved my compact from C4iGrant

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

L8R, Bill.

Do you think maybe the effect has something to do with the film that glows when exposed to the radiation from the tritium?   That's the first I've heard of this.  Coincidentally, I just got a pistol with night sights, for the first time in my life just about a month ago!  So this kind of interests me.

I know nothing of "Film" or radioactive tritium making film glow...however, I do know a liitle about "Tritium Lamps"...those used in weapons system night sights...they are a glass capsule filled with radioactivated tritium charged at .1nm.....then (in the pistol or iron type open night sights the glass capsule is imbedded into silicon and all housed in a extremely small diameter aluminum tube/pipette...which can then be press fit into iron sight configurations...look closely and you can see that shiney silver ring around your night sights tritium lamp/capsule?....that's the aluminum tubing/housing.

That and the fact that I know they are seemingly extra bright when exposed to sunlight (or camera flash strobe) and seemingly extra dim when locked away in darkness for extanded periods of time?.....is all I know.

L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
sorry did not mean to offend anyone saying the trijicon was a piece of crap it's that my one and only purchase was dissappointing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
sorry did not mean to offend anyone saying the trijicon was a piece of crap it's that my one and only purchase was dissappointing.

OK, so you are an outlyer.  On top of that, the POS company is sending you a NEW scope to replace your 4 year old model?  Yeah, they stink.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
whats an outlyer?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#13]
the IOR M2 is a hell of a scope. around $350
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
whats an outlyer?

A statistical anomoly that lays outside the normal dispersion.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Well after some thinking I decided I ant to get one. I like the TA31F, unless the donut works better.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#16]
i would buy a nice 300-400 sight and use the rest for ammo and mags
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well after some thinking I decided I ant to get one. I like the TA31F, unless the donut works better.

Don't forget the TA31A, my personal fav.  Precision & speed in one reticule.  Any of the three will suit you fine.  Never totally wrapped my arms around the donut.  I just can't enjoy it as there's no exact point for precision shooting, you're basically resting the top of the circle on your target at 100 yards and pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget the TA31A, my personal fav.  Precision & speed in one reticule.  Any of the three will suit you fine.  Never totally wrapped my arms around the donut.  I just can't enjoy it as there's no exact point for precision shooting, you're basically resting the top of the circle on your target at 100 yards and pulling the trigger.

+1 imo the ta31a is the best of both the ta31 and the ta31f reticle wise
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#19]
i bought ACOG 3 months ago...
but i have not went to range to zero the scope yet..
been busy with my newly born son...
i had Aimpoint before i installed ACOG..
i love my ACOG>.i have TA31 Donut reticle.got one in e bay for $700 new

i have seen ACOG clone/replica for sale also in  ebay.... around $150-200...looks the same..but i don;t know how the zero will hold up or how good the lens are.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#20]
YES

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have the TA31 (donut) and absolutely love it. ( I think I paid $975 a year ago)

I would recommend it to my best friend without hesitation.

Having said that, I have not used the other model 31's (A, F, RCO, etc) and cannot comment on them.

But if they are good enough for our storm troopers, they are good enough for my SHTF, paper-punching, home-defense weapon.

Glad I have one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I have had a Compact ACOG for 5 years. I paid $400 for it. I thought that was steep back then, but $800- $1,000 is insane....unless you HAVE to have the benefits of:

1. Construction like a Tank
2. Always on illuminated reticle
3. Very sharp optics
4. BAC target acquisition properties

Honestly, being a civilian who has the ability to buy what ever optic I want....I wouldn't pay $800 - $1,000 for any ACOG.

I actually love my new EOTech in my LaRue QD mount. It is quicker than an ACOG, and it will nail anything I can see out to 200 yards with eaze (which is more than the effective distance for a carbine.)

Now, what all of us ACOG owners will face one day....will you be ready to spend $800 again in 12 years to have the Tritium replaced?, because I bet that's what it will cost then. 5 years ago it was $250, today I think it is around $400. Ouchhhhhhhh!!!!

Tack  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#23]
It can be worth it all it wants.  I don't have the money for something like that, and I take my rifle into harm's way more often than I'd like.  They're out of my reach.  I'll get by with lesser optics and training.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have had a Compact ACOG for 5 years. I paid $400 for it. I thought that was steep back then, but $800- $1,000 is insane....unless you HAVE to have the benefits of:

3. Very sharp optics

Honestly, being a civilian who has the ability to buy what ever optic I want....I wouldn't pay $800 - $1,000 for any ACOG.

I actually love my new EOTech in my LaRue QD mount. It is quicker than an ACOG, and it will nail anything I can see out to 200 yards with eaze (which is more than the effective distance for a carbine.)

Now, what all of us ACOG owners will face one day....will you be ready to spend $800 again in 12 years to have the Tritium replaced?, because I bet that's what it will cost then. 5 years ago it was $250, today I think it is around $400. Ouchhhhhhhh!!!!

Tack  

there were recent threads stating the need for tritium replacements and it was around 200
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#25]
In 12 years most everyone will have moved on the the next fad and the acog will be a distant memory, let alone worrying about tritium. There's a whole shitload of new optics coming out that will take sales away from the acog, and eventually replace it. Look at the new 1-4 variable fad, the elcan specter dr, eotech magnifyer, and even the aimpoint/mag combo. Everyone looking into acogs will also be looking at these and sooner or later one of the new sights will make acogs obsolete, if they haven't already. I think if your looking  to buy an optic right now, you should wait and see how these new sights perform before dropping a grand on something that wont be "top dog" 12 months from now. Personally, i think the specter dr and the eo magnifier will both be more versatile than the "jack of all trades, master of none" Acog, but ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Nope. Not worth 800.

Worth at least 2x!

+1

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#27]
To be fair I have never owned one. I have shot with them. I don't care for them that much. As a cop most of my needs are inside 100 yards. The Acogs don't work as well as the Eotechs up close. Their better further out but thats not much of a need for me. For further out I prefer low power variables. I recently purchased a Leupold 1.5-5 Varix 3 (used scope) with a illuminated Circle dot rectical. This works well up close. Not as good as an Eotech or Aimpoint but better than a 4 power Acog or a 2 power acog. And with the 5 power setting it works well at range as well. The only issue is battery life with the illuminated rectical. Personally I would not spend the money on an Acog. I would rather save up and get one of the S&B 1-4 power scopes I read about here.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

3. Very sharp optics

Tack  

I contacted Trijicon the other day about changing my donut to a chevron. Currenty its $290 for a reticle/prism replacement and a new tritium lamp. And that covers return shipping.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#29]
YES they are, just look on ebay for better prices
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#30]
TAG
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I am very THANKFUL for ALL of the input that I have read on this thread! hat  I have been praying about purchasing a good quality scope/optic. But the Lord really held me back from making a very bad decision or mistake. In which case, I am ordering a Trijicon TA01NSN ACOG 4x32 Scope for my M4.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#32]
The IOR 3x25 QR-TS is supposed to be comparable to an acog.  At least it is IOR's attempt to compete with an acog.  They have very good glass and are very durable.  I ordered one for $570 shipped.  That's still high in price but quite a bit less.  It should be here Thursday. The pics below of the rifles I found on this site.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I have the TA11C for my AR10 and love it.  I looked at getting a good scope which was about the same price or more.  The ACOG is more usefull for my type of shooting.  Quick on target up close and good long range ability.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for.  You can buy a $50 Craftsman saw and it may last you a year or two.  Buy a high quality Skill Mag worm drive or Porter Cable Sidewinder and your kids will be using it years from now.
Are they a little over priced probably but the quality is second to none.  For the average guy on here they will last a lifetime. I am saving up for one for my AR15.   Just save up for one and you will be happy.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#34]
It's not worth it to me, but apparently they are worth it to most shooters.  If they come down to $500-$600 (yeah right), I'll buy one.  For the record, I'm not knocking Trijicon's marketing practices.  I simply choose not to buy an ACOG because they are too expensive for ME.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Benjamin Franklin is on the $100 bill, therefore they are nicknamed "Benjamins". $800 would be 8 Benjamins, or uh... 800 Washingtons I suppose

Anyway, sorry to crash your thread with the nitpicking, I just couldn't help myself :)

normally the period is enclosed within the quotation marks.  "Benjamins."
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I would have to say the ACOG is the best optic I have ever used on an assault rifle. I own an Aimpoint ML2 and love it also but I am looking to buy an ACOG now. I have been issued everything from the Comp M, to the Comp M2, to an ACOG and I am sold on the ACOG now. After 6 straight months of being banged around in Bradleys, drug through sand and rocks on sniper missions, and knocked against countless walls and doors while clearing houses in Iraq I confirmed my zero and it was still dead on. I count on mine every day with my life and wouldnt use any other. They are dead reliable, We do not even run a BUIS on our rifles with ACOGS, I have never seen one break.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I think anything equipment that you depend on to save your life and that said equipment lives up to those demands is worth any price.

A yes in my book.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:16:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I would have to say the ACOG is the best optic I have ever used on an assault rifle. I own an Aimpoint ML2 and love it also but I am looking to buy an ACOG now. I have been issued everything from the Comp M, to the Comp M2, to an ACOG and I am sold on the ACOG now. After 6 straight months of being banged around in Bradleys, drug through sand and rocks on sniper missions, and knocked against countless walls and doors while clearing houses in Iraq I confirmed my zero and it was still dead on. I count on mine every day with my life and wouldnt use any other. They are dead reliable, We do not even run a BUIS on our rifles with ACOGS, I have never seen one break.

Nice to know my TA11D can take a beating, I doubt my ACOG will see the abuse your does.

Perry
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top