Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
ducati650, DeeJay574, I've asked this alot. Thought I'd ask one more time; With your set up, can you shoot nose to charging handle with 3x? I'm guessing you have to come back from the handle a little bit.
Thanks.....Chad

You can see from my photo that the 3x is as far back as you can get with a flip mount and a BUIS. My nose is normally about 1/8" from the CH. It is just my normal position. I just tried it touching the CH and it was pretty good. Splitting the distance (1/16")was just fine. I could move back about 2 finger widths and still use it.
Ed
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can see from my photo that the 3x is as far back as you can get with a flip mount and a BUIS. My nose is normally about 1/8" from the CH. It is just my normal position. I just tried it touching the CH and it was pretty good. Splitting the distance (1/16")was just fine. I could move back about 2 finger widths and still use it.
Ed

That is good news. I figured the eye releif would keep you from putting your nose on the charging handle with the 3x that far back.
Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ducati650, DeeJay574, I've asked this alot. Thought I'd ask one more time; With your set up, can you shoot nose to charging handle with 3x? I'm guessing you have to come back from the handle a little bit.
Thanks.....Chad

Ed

On my MRP I have the 3X magnifier set up for nose to charging handle.  
The magnifier gives you full 7 degree FOV at 2.36-2.56" eye relief, and 5 degrees of view at 1.57-3.54" according to the Aimpoint manual, so it's got a pretty big sweet spot.  
My experience with it is that it's a fast optic at 3X, much faster than a 3-9 scope turned down to 3X, BAC seems to work really well with it and it's pretty forgiving of head postion.  
Compared to my TA31s, it has extended eye relief, has the same FOV at 7 degrees but less magnification at 3X vs 4X, and the exit pupils are similar at 7 for the magnifier, 8 for the ACOG. The ACOG seems to be a little brighter, at least in low light (32mm objective vs 20mm), contrast & color is good on both (slight ACOG advantage), the ACOG a bit sharper at least in the center.  With my poor eyesight, I'm probably one of the least qualified to make these statements about the optical qualities of both, but after using both extensively I feel I could potentially be faster with the magnifier (less magnification, greater eye relief, variable dot).
I have no experience with the TA11 series with similar eye relief to the magnifier but greater exit pupl at 10mm and smaller FOV at 5 degrees but at 3.5X.  Users such as Zak say it's a very fast optic and forgiving of eye position, a comparison with the magnifier would be interesting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot nose to CH, but it is so because i have a very long nose hatThe eye relief was an issue on the ACOG for me.....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw this question asked earlier in the thread but never saw an answer.  When the mag mount is flipped to the side, does it lock in place or does it flop around?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I saw this question asked earlier in the thread but never saw an answer.  When the mag mount is flipped to the side, does it lock in place or does it flop around?

No, it's under spring tension and doesn't flop at all.
If you jump 6 feet down onto concrete, the mount may move a little, but I've never noticed it.
Now, you can flip it back up to the locked position by a quick rotational snap of the rifle quite easily, but no amount of verticle or horizontal movement alone will move it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Aimpoint 3X NV setup

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top