BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, for 2 grand I could buy a few more rifles!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Just noticd the reticle gets bigger with magnification increase, just the opposite of what's needed, typical euro. Also, when the battery is dead, there's not much reticle for fast shooting. Just two notes, not trying to be critical or anything.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just noticd the reticle gets bigger with magnification increase, just the opposite of what's needed....

Why do you consider a 2nd plane reticle better?  In this scopes intended application I can see several advantages to a 1st plane reticle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just noticd the reticle gets bigger with magnification increase, just the opposite of what's needed, typical euro.

ipschoser1,

Is the Accupoint a second plane reticle?

This would mean that the triangle would get smaller as the magnification increases, correct?
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just noticd the reticle gets bigger with magnification increase, just the opposite of what's needed, typical euro.

This would mean that the triangle would get smaller as the magnification increases, correct?

From a relative perspective, yes.  But the reticle remains the same size throughout the magnification range of the scope, the only thing that changes size is the target plane image.

1st plane reticles get larger or smaller as magnification is increased or decreased.  They remain the same size relative throughout the magnification range.  Consequently, they can be used to range objects at any magnification.  

2nd plane reticles can be used for ranging only at a single magnification.  2nd plane reticles are also nice when extreme precision is required for small, distant targets, e.g., prarie dogs.  When the manification is increased, the reticle subtends less and less of the target, allowing a precise aiming point.

Link Posted: 2/9/2005 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I think first focal plane is a very good thing.
Check out the Horus reticle at 1x and 4x
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=215966&page=4
By changing the size of the circle and grids, you help to focus the shooter in different situation for different purpose. At 1x, you want a concentrated circle to help the shooter for speed. At 4x you want the fine grids to show up to help your hold offs.
Both Horus and S&B takes advantage of that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why do you consider a 2nd plane reticle better?  In this scopes intended application I can see several advantages to a 1st plane reticle.

As target distance increases (and magnification) the reticle needs to substend less to be proportionate to the target. 2nd plane reticles give better long range precision while providing a larger reticle for up close speed. 1st plane reticles are, IMHO, bass ackwards.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ipschoser1,

Is the Accupoint a second plane reticle?

Yes. The TR21's reticle substends 4 MOA @ 4x and 11 MOA @ 1.25x. That's the correct setup, IMO. Think about a dot sight with an 11MOA reticle in a shoot house @ 1.25x!  The other extreme is, a 300 yard 6" plate with a 4MOA reticle @ 4x. Now consider how much slower it would be up close and how much less precise it would be at range if they were reversed! That's what you have with some of the euro scopes.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As target distance increases (and magnification) the reticle needs to substend less to be proportionate to the target. 2nd plane reticles give better long range precision while providing a larger reticle for up close speed. 1st plane reticles are, IMHO, bass ackwards.

You are assuming the same part of the reticle is for close and distant work. Take a look at the S&B and Horus reticle. At 1x, the fine grid or tic marks are shrunk away leaving a dominant dot or circle for speed. As you zoom your way to distant, the tic marks and grid becomes dominant and you can use them for fine adjust. Look through the reticle before you draw your conclusion.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You are assuming the same part of the reticle is for close and distant work. Take a look at the S&B and Horus reticle. At 1x, the fine grid or tic marks are shrunk away leaving a dominant dot or circle for speed. As you zoom your way to distant, the tic marks and grid becomes dominant and you can use them for fine adjust. Look through the reticle before you draw your conclusion.

I've looked at the pics and stated my conclusion. My purpose here isn't to run anyone's choice in optics down but to merely to state my observations. That's what this forum is about. The scopes in question are undoubtedly fine equipment, they just don't jive with what I see is the right direction in some areas. The Accupoint does for the most part.  It's a moot point though, I couldn't justify the price of a Short Dot if I wanted one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Different strokes for different folks...

As always, buy what works best for you, not what someone else says you should use.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Agree. I made an effort to check out all of those 1-4x scopes in Shotshow and that's how I made up my own mind. I think nothing beats checking it out yourself first before drawing any conclusion. It can be very subjective indeed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
PP,
Do you get a better price in EU than in the US for the S&B. The price here is down right

I'm in touch directly with mr. Krug @ S&B plant , I'll let you know the EU price ASAP,
pp OUT
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]
PP,
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#16]
The price of this scope in Europe , tax included , is € 1.122,00

PP out
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#17]
BTW , anybody knows the Butler Creek flip-ups misures for it ?

PP out
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks PP.
Sounds like a better price in EU than here. Hmmm, finally I can justify spending money other than via Montenapoleone in Milano for my wife in Europe .
The objective is 30mm size Obj 02A and the eye piece is 43mm a tight fit for Eye 17.
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 12:08:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Hi ,

Honestly , that price is a special one S&B do for military people , I think that for the civvis 'd be 15% higher .

You come here ?
Before to go to via Montenapoleone go to visit Florence,Pisa,Siena,Venice & Pompei , you'll save a lot of money and you'll enjoy a better Italy.

thanks for the infos abt the flip-ups measures.

Take care,
PP out

Link Posted: 2/17/2005 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#20]
In that case its getting closer to the US price. Still I may get a break back in saving the taxfree.
Montenapoleone is just a joke. Me and my wife always enjoy Italy (visited four times), Cinque Terra is our favorite. Sorry, gettting off topics here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:.........Cinque Terra is our favorite.

....... just 50 minutes from my home , sorry for the OT,

PP out
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Me shooting with my recce carbine & ShotDot
PP out
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 1:28:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice outfit!

PP, doesn't the S&B/LaRue combo sit too high on a SIR? I thought
the LT mount was made for the flattop?
Any idea how much your RECCE weighs?

Lastly- do you like your Sordins? How much did you pay?
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 4:08:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Nice outfit!

PP, doesn't the S&B/LaRue combo sit too high on a SIR? I thought
the LT mount was made for the flattop?
Any idea how much your RECCE weighs?

Lastly- do you like your Sordins? How much did you pay?

Cato,

I find the ShortDot/LaRue combo sits right for me , anyway I'm a big guy with a big head too , may be it can sits high for some other guys .

Those are Peltor Com-Tac , not Sordin , just do not remember the price , sorry.

Thanks for yr words abt my stuff ,

PP out
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 5:31:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I've always wanted a sticker that just says "POS" hehe
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've always wanted a sticker that just says "POS" hehe

Ready to send one to you

PP out
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#27]
BSBG:

Just wanted to say thanks for the reticle pics; they have been haunting me like crazy. I got to check out one of these S&B scopes at the gun show last weekend, and they are truly incredible.

I love the idea of this scope. The only reason I've not bought one is not because of the price, but because of the battery life. I know I'd use it a lot as a 1.1x red dot; if they can get the battery life at least somewhere close to the AA battery eotech models I'll buy one. I'm sure it's just a matter of time til they get the battery life up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Aw thanks PP!  But I can't have you spent the money on international shipping for a joke item
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
BSBG:

Just wanted to say thanks for the reticle pics; they have been haunting me like crazy. I got to check out one of these S&B scopes at the gun show last weekend, and they are truly incredible.

I love the idea of this scope. The only reason I've not bought one is not because of the price, but because of the battery life. I know I'd use it a lot as a 1.1x red dot; if they can get the battery life at least somewhere close to the AA battery eotech models I'll buy one. I'm sure it's just a matter of time til they get the battery life up.

Glad to be of service...

I wouldn't sweat the battery life.  100 hrs is a long time - 50 trips to the range at 2 hrs each for a $3 battery .  The auto shut off feature keeps you from draining it in the safe as well.  There was a post on TF about a soldier using one battery for his entire deployment.  How? - By turning it off when he didn't need it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Aw thanks PP!  But I can't have you spent the money on international shipping for a joke item

PP out
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Me shooting with my recce carbine & ShotDot img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/489586/MeshootingtheShortDot.JPG
PP out

looks like the empty brass is headed straight towards the camera man
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:looks like the empty brass is headed straight towards the camera man

Yep , he got more than one in his face !

PP out
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BSBG:

Glad to be of service...

I wouldn't sweat the battery life.  100 hrs is a long time - 50 trips to the range at 2 hrs each for a $3 battery .  The auto shut off feature keeps you from draining it in the safe as well.  There was a post on TF about a soldier using one battery for his entire deployment.  How? - By turning it off when he didn't need it.

Damnit quit trying to talk me into it!

[repeating to self] battery life too short battery life too short battery life too short......
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag - Still working on funding this one.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#35]
If they lowered the price it has serious ultimate optic potential.   For $2000 it's too rich for my blood.  

Way too rich.  $1200 I would consider.  LEUPOLD M2 Mrt's I consider to be priced well at $800+-
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#36]
deleted
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I would like to point out the reason S&B uses a FFP reticle is because it makes it impossimble for the POA to shift with varying magnification.  Most SFP reticles have a small amount of shift when zooming.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you figure?

This is what Larry Vickers says about the S&B and first focal plane reticles:
"Also it is worthy to note that the reticle is in the first focal plane which means it grows in direct proportion to the target; in the real world this means you can mil dot at any power setting. Also it means your zero cannot shift during magnification as the reticle is not moving. Despite what anyone else may tell you I believe this is critical for a milspec variable powered optic."

That about ends the debate for me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#39]
If I had the $$, I would buy S&B without a doubt.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:31:19 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The objective is 30mm size Obj 02A and the eye piece is 43mm a tight fit for Eye 17.

Greetings,
I have one of these S&Bs in-coming in less than 2 weeks and just want to verify these are the correct size BC caps.
Has anyone actually used these sizes on their scope?

Thanks,

Oznog53
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I finally got mine on order.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

You will be a happy man when it arrives .
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will be a happy man when it arrives .

I hope so becuase this damn thing nearly broke the bank.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Greetings again,
In addition to my earlier question, is a Larue SPR 1.5 the correct rings/mount for this scope?
If it matters, my rifle has a LMT MRP 14.5" bbl. w/rifle length upper and Troy folding sites.

Thanks for your guidance!

Oznog53
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep if you do not use to mount a PEQ2A at 12 o'clock .

PP out
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:44:09 AM EDT
[#47]
S&B recommendsthe SPR-EER for the Short Dot.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#49]
What % shoot nose to CH? This is a bit like TA11/31.......
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:09:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top