Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Mike, Grant, and others,

I'm building a flat top, CQB-style, rifle right now and have just about finished collecting parts.  My plan includes an EOTech on a LaRue mount and this discussion has confirmed it.

Thanks for the detailed discussions on the problem solving process.  So many people have an issue and go straight to the whining and sniveling without JUST DEALING WITH THE PROBLEM.  I learned a lot from the give and take.

A job well done.  Thanks again,  cgj
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does the EO-TECH have to mounted so far forward.  Will an AA version fit on the back mounting point and not overhang?

As a general rule, you want the optic over the Delta Ring. If you mount the 512/552 on the first slot of the LaRue EOTech mount, it will still hang over the Delta Ring (good thing)...

C4

Why do you want the optics over the Delta ring?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does the EO-TECH have to mounted so far forward.  Will an AA version fit on the back mounting point and not overhang?

As a general rule, you want the optic over the Delta Ring. If you mount the 512/552 on the first slot of the LaRue EOTech mount, it will still hang over the Delta Ring (good thing)...

C4

Why do you want the optics over the Delta ring?

I can't speak for Grant but for me the weapon balances better and the further down the red dot is mounted the faster it is, at least for me, to use it.

Basically I like to mount my EOTech as far forward as I can without upsetting my weapons balance.  That puts my EOTech right accross the barrel nut on my FF-RAS MRE.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The balance feels off for me the farther forward I put the sight, same with how fast the weapon swings, if some people feels it balances better for them, it must be a personal preference thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll have to play with mine when I get home tonight.  I think placement affects your ability to quickly pick up the reticle - a kind of acceptance angle or field of view thingie.  I test it out and get back to you tonight.  

I think it works like this - the closer it is to your eye, the faster it is to use (less sensitive to head placement in order for the reticle to be in your field of view and the sooner the reticle comes into view and you can begin to bring reticle onto target.).  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]
STLRN,

Of course you need to take into account the other gear that's bolted on your rifle/carbine.  A usual you'll need to adjust your gear to work best for you.

Quoted:

I think it works like this - the closer it is to your eye, the faster it is to use (less sensitive to head placement in order for the reticle to be in your field of view and the sooner the reticle comes into view and you can begin to bring reticle onto target.).  

In general for non-maginfied red dot sights most people find it's faster aquire the reticle/dot the closer the optic is to the front sight.  Just like using the bead on on a end of a shotgun barrel. Remember the EOTech is meant to be used with both eyes open while focusing on the the target.

Think of it like pointing at something with your  finger. Isn't it much faster and easier to accurately point at something with your finger at arms length rather then with your finger 4 inches away from your eye?

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
In this case, the finger is in the eye of the beholder.

Using your analogy, the quesiton is when can you first see the finger tip.  No matter the sights distance, the reticle is in focus an appears to be on the target.  

I noticed the effect last night for the first time.  I'll play with it tonight and get back to you on it.  I know I like mine farther to the rear to keep additional weight off the heavy muzzle end of my carbine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In this case, the finger is in the eye of the beholder.

Using your analogy, the quesiton is when can you first see the finger tip.  No matter the sights distance, the reticle is in focus an appears to be on the target.  

Remember use both eyes open and focus on the threat/target the reticle will seem to float to it.   Don't make the mistake most first time red dot users make and focus on the reticle/dot.

Here's a pic of my setup so you can see where I've placed my 552.  On my carbine this location seems to be the sweet spot for speedy target aquisition and weapon balance/handling.  You'll need to play around with your's and set it up where it works best for YOU.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
YOJIMBO
              Where does the platnum blonde hook on to that baby thats one hell of a rail job I like it man. Just had to complement you.
Glad u had this discusion on the eo thingy  short rail job is my next project after the varminter is done. I have used aimpoints on other rifles before and liked them but was considering the EO.

Mike now that its set up do u like the EO or the Aimpoint better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok,
To throw another wrench in the gears here..
I have a LMT 14.5" upper on the way with a KAC RAS II.  I will be using a LMT BUIS.  Now, I already know that if I want an Eotech I have to mount it on the HG's, no room behind the "hump" with the LMT BUIS.  Would it "cowitness" with the irons mounted on the HG's?  Is cowitnessing possible at all with a LMT BUIS and a RAS II?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Trumpet,

Yes, the EOTech will cowitness just fine sitting in front of the hump on your RASII.  The top hand guard rail on your RASII is level with the upper receiver rail so no need to worry.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Whew! Thanks Yojimbo.  At least now I know whichever I go with (Aimpoint or EOTech) it'll cowitness.

Thanks!

Rich
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top