Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Guys i just got my tapoint yesterday and was so excited to put it on.  i turned it on and the red dot is messed up i think.  I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

The dot comes in and out and is very intermitant on the lower settings and not as bad on the brighter ones.  you have to wiggle the on/setting switch to get the dot to appear.  Has anyone else seen this and what should i do.

I bought is from ameetec arms so i hope they will help me out.

Thanks Brian hardee
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#2]
143 hours...still going....and a pic mounted on an ARMS 16A...

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
as of 5:30pm az time...176 hours..still going...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#4]
191 hours now....this is getting boring....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

But is it useable? Tell us what it looks like at this point.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking about one of these for a "tactical 10/22" build.  I'm going to build a 10/22 like the one I had when I was a kid...and believe it or not I actually did have an Aimpoint on it, along with a Butler Creek folder.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Stop updating until you get into the 1000hr range then and update us at each 1000hr point.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop updating until you get into the 1000hr range then and update us at each 1000hr point.

Its not going to dolt...its NOT and AIMPOINT..and earlier models of the Aimpoint didnt last 1000 hours either..neither did earlier models of the EOTech...this isnt an AIMPOINT thread so bug off. Its a thread to see what it can and cant do period. If you want to diss it..go to the other Tacpoint thread.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But is it useable? Tell us what it looks like at this point.

It is indoors without a doubt..however, in bright light it is washing out. You can barely see it. So I would say as a whole, no it isnt useable...but Im going til it dies. At which point it becomes a large ghost ring sight!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Im happy with my Tacpoint, it does what its supposed to do so I have no complaints. I guess i'll spend that extra $300 on beer and batteries. :f

Hello AZG23!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Welp....alot of high dollar users are obviously bothered by me updating every 12-15 hours or so according to the other EOTac-1 thread....and everyone thought it was funny as hell..well..it went 200 and Ive changed the batteries...and Im not going to offend any of those perfect AR folks with updates as top the life of this sight...fuck em. It has a useable life of around 160 hours in my opinion. thats all...no more updates...no more trivial testing....
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]
YOU KNOW WHAT, I GOT THAT BITCH ON THURSDAY, MOUNTED IT, TOOK IT OUT TO THE RANGE, AND SHOT 750 ROUNDS THROUGH THE OLY, THAT SOB DIDN'T FLINCH AND IT IS RIGHT ON!!!!  I'M SOLD AND IF ANY OF YOU WANT TO COME DOWN AND DRINK THE REST OF THE MONEY FOR AN AIMPOINT THE BAR IS OPEN!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
It's been a couple of weeks of use now for mine. IT WORKS and IT WORKS WELL.  Ihave no complaints about it's performance. Got caught in some heavy rain --no problem there either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I gotta tell ya...

I USED to think that the high-dollar stuff like Aimpoint, ACOG, and all that were way too much money for what you got, but in a lot of cases, you really DO get what you pay for.

Having said that, however...I've also seen a lot of LOW-dollar stuff that gets ragged on constantly around here perform pretty well.

If it works for ya, and you like it, that's all that matters. If it works well and you like it, but people STILL insist that what you have is garbage, and you need to get what they want you to get, they can either buy it for you, or piss off.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:20:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If it works well and you like it, but people STILL insist that what you have is garbage, and you need to get what they want you to get, they can either buy it for you, or piss off.

Bravo, Zardoz.  Bra-F'ing-Oh.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#16]
 A Tacpoint on an Oly.  Yep, I'm selling my Colts and Aimpoints.  Fuck it, it's all wasted money, right?

Quoted:
YOU KNOW WHAT, I GOT THAT BITCH ON THURSDAY, MOUNTED IT, TOOK IT OUT TO THE RANGE, AND SHOT 750 ROUNDS THROUGH THE OLY, THAT SOB DIDN'T FLINCH AND IT IS RIGHT ON!!!!  I'M SOLD AND IF ANY OF YOU WANT TO COME DOWN AND DRINK THE REST OF THE MONEY FOR AN AIMPOINT THE BAR IS OPEN!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#17]
QShooter....there are an abundance of other threads for you to bash the TP in...please find your way to those and if you have nothing constructive to say here, than dont. thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#19]
actually the jokes are funny in the other threads..but not here. I think it was bashing. and Id like to see this thread left intact for actualy users to report what they experience, not a bunch of blather. Everyone needs to have the respect to leave at least one thread alone. Im truley getting sick of it being negated to rubbish.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#20]
It may be a watch...but it's not a ROLEX!

To each his own.  Sounds like the Tacpoint is a decent buy considering the cost.  Expect to get one soon for the RRA!

Cheers and thanks for the info AZG!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#21]
AZG23, thanx for your testing and input on the Tacpoints. I'm an EOtech guy myself, but can appreciate your efforts.
Your going to find LOTS of elitist attitudes here, mostly from the ones with the highest post counts, so if you decide to stay, might I suggest you remember this is just the internet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Man some people just dont understand that not everyone can afford a Colt/Aimpoint but maybe a Oly/Tacpoint....if it works it works... I doubt I will find myself in a 1000hr(straight) firefight where I must leave my sight on high for the full 1000hrs. Sure its nice it can last that long but not necissary for my inteded use. I will probably buy a tacpoint and an Aimpoint in the future just to see what everyone is crying about. Oh, I also have an Oly 20" HBAR upper mounted on a VM HY Tech lower, which combined cost me $450, that has yet to give me a problem.
Also, I believe the author made it clear that this post was designated for people that had positive experiences with the Tacpoints and to keep the BS out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
QShooter....there are an abundance of other threads for you to bash the TP in...please find your way to those and if you have nothing constructive to say here, than dont. thanks

AZG23,

I have argued with some very good and knowledgeable folks on this site to let you guys alone ( honestly hoping the number of threads would go down or completely away). You people (maybe not you specifically) seem to want continually mess up this forum with TAC_SHIT threads AND insult some very serious people in the process. As far as I am concerned, TAC-Point and related threads are now a free fire zone. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#24]

AZG23,

I have argued with some very good and knowledgeable folks on this site to let you guys alone ( honestly hoping the number of threads would go down or completely away). You people (maybe not you specifically) seem to want continually mess up this forum with TAC_SHIT threads AND insult some very serious people in the process. As far as I am concerned, TAC-Point and related threads are now a free fire zone. Enjoy.

I appreciate you trying...I am not trying to overun the Optics forum with Tacpoint threads..Im trying to see if tis a viable lower cost option to those not in LE or Direct Combat as some of you are. As a home defense/homeland defense rifle, Id like to know how this red dot is working and how those who own it are doing with it. Not trying to contaminate the throngs of elitists. Please...lets get back to real world experience with this sight....
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#26]
C4iGrant, lets have fun, with what ever we want to spend our $$ on, why worry ? I have bought some stuff from you and was good, because it was what I wanted.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
C4iGrant, lets have fun, with what ever we want to spend our $$ on, why worry ?

All for it. When people call owners of Aimpoint, EOTech's ACOG and other QUALITY optics "elitist" or "Gucci" I cannot but help to correct their ignorance...

C4

Thats good thinking, but you need to relax as we all know what is good and bad, and for as ignorance goes we will never be able to correct that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
C4iGrant, lets have fun, with what ever we want to spend our $$ on, why worry ?

All for it. When people call owners of Aimpoint, EOTech's ACOG and other QUALITY optics "elitist" or "Gucci" I cannot but help to correct their ignorance...

C4

It's not the owning of one that makes somebody an "elitist" a "Gear Queer", or an "Gucci Gear Snob". As you know, I now own one because I bought it from you, yet you won't find me bashing those that want a Tacpoint, or anything else that isn't "High End" because I understand the idea behind "Good Enough".

It's the attitude of some here that belittle those that believe that their use of a product is on a level that doesn't require the product to be top of the line, they feel they can get by with less.

The Gear Queer/Gucci names came after the "Airsofter" "Toy-Tard" names. Do not try and act like the assholes here that started shit with the airsoft comparison's are the Hurt party, they started the hole damn thing, it was their taunting and ruining of every thread that casued the spread of more threads.

Don't act like you're here to stand up for top of the line optics, they don't need any help, you're here because you like the argument.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#32]
You know....I can only ask so many times for you to not turn this into what you have turned the other threads into. I have a Tacpoint on my SHTF rifle.....you know what....if it takes a dump....IVE STILL GOT IRON SITES...get it..? People were using them LOOOOONG before optics came along.

Now PLEASE.....again.....stop using this thread to bash or disparage Tacpoints and their users. I dont care if you dont like it, or trust it. For the record Grant..I CAN afford and Aimpoint..hell I could charge up an ACOG right now as well......but Im not going to.

This thread is for informational purposes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

<SNIP>

You may think that, but many of your fellow tacpoint buddies do not and view anyone that can afford an EOTech, Aimpoint or ACOG to be some Rich Snob. I ran Aimpoints when I was down and out in the USN (living on $20K a year).

I think part of the problem is most view this board as a source for information on Mil-Spec gear, not cheap (non Mil-Spec) optics. Many believe that things have changed around here and it is now a place where folks come to find out what the cheapest way to do something is. How many threads do we see where someone asks "What's the best and cheapest way to mount my Aimpoint" or "Are ACOG's really worth the money?" Its funny that these types of questions don't appear over on the tactical forums or even on my forum for that matter. I believe (from comments I have received) that die hard AR15.com members that have supported this site for many many years would like to see it go back to a Mil-Spec discussion forum again....

C4

I can see why those that have been here forever might want it to stay what it used to be, but I don't know if that's possible, this is now the largest source of information for everything AR, and like it or not, AR's have gone public, they have gone "Sportsman". I find it funny that those same people that wanted the AW ban gone so that everyone could own one, are upset that everyone wants one, and with that everyone are people that see them as "plinkers" a "Range gun" and that they don't see a need for everything on thier range gun to be Mil-Spec.

I would prefer that you don't lump me in as a TacPointer as some of them were real idiots. If you were to go over any of my perticipation in this whole mess, no matter how nasty my coments, I never argued in favor of TacPoints, I've only argued that these guys (me included at the time) should be left alone to check them out and share info on wether or not they were worth $100 without being berated and chased around the board like a bunch of Mexicans that wandered into a Skin Head rally. If want you're saying is correct, then I suspect that those that yelled the loudest against the tacpoints, were indeed trying to run people of the board for not thinking the same way they do, so they were the AR15.com Brownshirts, that's nice.

BTW.. I'm done with this topic, this whole thing has been some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen and I'm not sure why I jumped back into it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I was going to post a review of the weekend with my new tacpoint, but I see that I am not welcome here and everyone else does not want to hear from the peons that don't buy the pricey equipment. C4- thank you for your views on this and be assured that I have made note of you website and will be sure to never to disturb you or your high-speed friends with any money, time or effort. Now I am going to take my low speed ass out and do what I like to do, shoot, whille all of you Gucci dudes get ready for the next infomercial on how uninformed I am. byeeee
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was going to post a review of the weekend with my new tacpoint, but I see that I am not welcome here and everyone else does not want to hear from the peons that don't buy the pricey equipment. C4- thank you for your views on this and be assured that I have made note of you website and will be sure to never to disturb you or your high-speed friends with any money, time or effort. Now I am going to take my low speed ass out and do what I like to do, shoot, whille all of you Gucci dudes get ready for the next infomercial on how uninformed I am. byeeee

Hound, as long as this thread stays open you are more than welcome and post your review on the Tacpoint.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Hound...please do add your information. It is important to some..not all.but some.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I believe (from comments I have received) that die hard AR15.com members that have supported this site for many many years would like to see it go back to a Mil-Spec discussion forum again....

C4

"Mil-Spec?"

Guess that eliminates talking about AR-15s then, since I have seen posts by one of the staff on more than one occasion stating that there was no such thing as a "Mil-Spec" AR-15.

Quoted:
I know of no Mil-Spec AR-15 type weapon available for sale to the general public....none.

5sub

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok, since that almost constitutions acceptance of the peons...
Tac-point-2nd model with two mounts and blue writing and blue ring 99.00 from Delta.
test beds--DPMS m4forgery
                 Mak-90 with B-square mount

Initial impressions mounted on the DPMS.
BRIGHT, much brighter than I expected and I quickly proceded to the third click to turn this thing down. While it looked good and mounted well flat on the flat top, the unit sits too low to be used without an uncomfortable cheekweld. Fired a few rounds and then bumped the hell out of it. No change in POI or brightness.
HELL TEST--I have a Bed-32? that I love on the AR most of the time. I stole one of the screws
from the forward mount on the tacpoint and remounted the Hakko hologram.
My ak is a smooth firing Mak, with NO muzzle device and a choate stock. The other firer over the weekend said it was one of the smoothest triggers and proceded to bump-fire several mags. The blue ring turns out to be a separate piece...it came loose and started forward. No effect on the optic and it seemed to just be a add-on. POI remained the same-about six inches up at around 50 yards.
THIS sight was not zeroed at anytime this weekend. It was just slapped on.

The hakko sight on the AR has never been zeroed either. It mounts and shoots to within 1moa. 1moa for my purposes is a small propane bottle at 50-60 yards.
Overall it seemed like a good buy for a hundred bucks. I have destroyed cheap stuff in the past and full bump on the AK is almost certain to do that.
The optic displayed some "starring" effect inside the tube when on full power. Unless you were near a nuclear device or shooting at the sun, I cannot see any need for the first two setting on the optic. Perhaps as battery power decreases, you would need to move up.

Accesories.
Plastic flip-up caps. when storing I made no efforts to handle this device carefully. On one occasion I opened the bag to see one cap up and twisted to one side, I simply placed it correctly and locked into place. It did not appear to be twisted or warped.

Mounts. very solid and as I mentioned I used two mounts with only one screw in the front one. No problems and they did not loosen or seemed to have any problems.

Batteries..I did not use the optic for long enough to see any problems.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Good job taking my comments and turning them for your own use. I was not talking about the AR15 being mil-spec, but rather the optics that are used by the Military.

If that was the case, why did you use the words "this board" instead of the words "this Optics, Mounts and Sights forum", and why did you say, "... most view this board as a source for information on Mil-Spec gear ...", when you were ONLY referring to Mil-Spec optics?

Your own words were: I think part of the problem is most view this board as a source for information on Mil-Spec gear, not cheap (non Mil-Spec) optics.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Won't waste space by quoting, but rifles or optics, the principle's the same. Either an item is "Mil-Spec" or it isn't. My point is it is inconsistant to condemn one component item as not being "Mil-Spec" yet accepting others that aren't either.

AR-15's aren't "Mil-Spec," yet for most people they are good enough. Whether or not a componet is "good enough" without being "Mil-Spec" has to be determined on case by case basis and circumstances under which the item will be used. "Mil-Spec" SHOULD ensure that an item will withstand the rigors of Military useage. If the intended usage is less rigorous, then quite obviously something of less than "Mil-Spec" quality just might be good enough.

That is the heart of this whole matter. For some circumstances and intended useage, nothing less than "Mil-Spec" will do. For other circumstances and useages, there may be other solutions.

I don't drive a Humvee for at least two reasons:

One, I can't afford it.

Two, I don't NEED it. My 9 year old GMC pickup is both something I can afford AND fits my needs.

Doesn't make it "junk,"  though I'm sure it wouldn't last long in combat.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

<SNIP>

Look at who hangs out on my forum. It is some of the MOST knowledgeable folks on AR15.com. Have you asked yourself why all of these people are posting over there and not here???

C4

I'm guessing that it's because they don't think my Wrangler jeans and Fruit of the Loom t-shirt are MilSpec.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Topic.....? topic table for one...please

...Topic table for one.

Damn..Id make a good moderator wouldnt I...?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I don't drive a Humvee for at least two reasons:

Hey, Lonny!  That sounds like an awfully familiar parallel.  However, the guy who "required Mil-Spec" stuff disgarded *my* question about 'Why don't you drive a Humvee' without answering it.  Funny, huh?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<SNIP>

Look at who hangs out on my forum. It is some of the MOST knowledgeable folks on AR15.com. Have you asked yourself why all of these people are posting over there and not here???

C4

I'm guessing that it's because they don't think my Wrangler jeans and Fruit of the Loom t-shirt are MilSpec.

LOL.
C4 I totally understand your point. But, there are those (Im personally in both camps as I am Ex-Mil but shoot just for the pure enjoyment of it all too) that want to just shoot their AR's for fun and enjoyment, regardless of using them for SHTF  stuff. The Tacpoints and other NON - Mil/LEO weapons/optics will suit their needs just fine. None of the Tacpoint users are saying they would take them to combat. They just want them for enjoyment.
The problem at AR15.com is we have two ways of thinking. Those that want to use their AR's and optics just for the fun and enjoyment for it, and the other camp which is the Mil types that want the best they can afford and want their gear to hold up for SHTF  stuff. Both can live here but some posters (one Mod in particular) have hissy fits and try to demean the NON- Mil type camp.
That's great that you have your own forum. Congrats. I'll be checking it out shortly. This thread just happens to be about the Tacpoints. Have anything positive or constructive to say about THEM???

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I don't think that the an assault rifle falls under Mil-Spec GEAR, but if it works for you.

Ahh.  I see.

If I posed the scenario that you were going to be sent to Iraq right now, what gear would you want to take with you, you would have included an Aimpoint in your list, but would have purposely NOT included the actual RIFLE in the list, because it's not "gear" ??  C'mon, you can do better than THAT, Grant!

The point has been made over and over again.  Folks want the TP for what they want it for, and it's not nice to call them idiots because of it.

Have you asked yourself why all of these people are posting over there and not here???
 Simply because you all like to listen to yourselves talk and agree with eachother, that's why ... :)

C4
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have you asked yourself why all of these people are posting over there and not here???

Simply because you all like to listen to yourselves talk and agree with eachother, that's why ... :)

No, actually its to avoid threads like this and members like you.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top