Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2003 10:33:46 PM EDT
...I'm wondering if the weight savings is worth cutting off the handle part.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you plan on using the CCH as a BUIS or as your primary sight. If as a primary, I'd leave it alone. I don't think your saving much weight at all!

Edited to add: I don't have a scale that reads that low!

Ok.....I sorta lied, I don't have a scale, but the wife does! So when she wasn't looking I stole her baking scale and threw the remnants of my CH on it.

The remnants weigh exactly 100 grams or 3.527396 ounces. So if you were to make your cuts EXACTLY in the same position as I did you would save at least that much weight.

I don't want to remove the sight portion from my rifle to weigh it alone, but your milage there will vary. Depending on how much material you remove to dress up the sight after cutting, each sight it self will weigh differently.

Hope this helps!

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/080505.jpg[/img]

Now I need a covert Op to return the old ladys scale before she sees me!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The plan was to get a light weight rifle put together, and the carry handle will be used as a  primary.  I suspect it's not much, but am curious.  Please no one go out of their way, but if a scale is handy...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Bumped back up after I added the info you wanted.

Hope it helps!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll bet it's worth it. Looks like from QUIBs post you will save about a 1/4 of a pound.

FYI, I haven't measured the a cut handle but I have wieghed a few others.

I would assume the carry handle cut would be similar to the DPMS fixed detachable which is 4.5 oz (HEAVY).

The BMAS flipup is 1.5 oz and I assume an ARMS 40 would be very close to that wieght as well.

An OKO red dot sight would wieght about the same as the cut carryhandle rear sight.

The steel nuts are really what put on the wieght.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, thanks Quib! [:)]  Of course that part you weighed (at great personal risk, I might add [;)] is exactly the weight I was after.  I just thought most would have discarded it and so was going to subtract the sight part from the total weight of the Bushmaster handle I have here at home.

Yes, those nuts are heavy aren't they.

Then on the other hand the loss of the handle part sure changes the profile of the rifle -- and it's a handsome profile as is.

Thanks again all.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey, thanks Quib! [:)]
                                              I just thought most would have discarded it.....

View Quote

No problem!

I never throw old parts away, never know what ya might need em' for!

This might be another option for ya, found this pic on the web. Looks like they cut the CH and left both thumb nuts entact. A little more weight in exchange for a more solid mount. Just an idea........

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/080712.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
That is an option, and one I hadn't thought of.  Yet I bet doing it that way doesn't make much of a weight difference.  I know some guys will put the KAC rail covers on their receiver to protect it temporarily.

So many choices and options; it's so American! [:)]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish I had found that pic before I cut my CH. As soon as I saw that pic I had this idea: Cut the CH as shown. Drill, tap and thread the base of the CH for a Weaver rail, then install my EOTech. I wonder if this rise in height would have placed the irons just a tad bit lower in the EOTechs window? Guess I'll never know unless I go purchase another CH!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wish I had found that pic before I cut my CH. As soon as I saw that pic I had this idea: Cut the CH as shown. Drill, tap and thread the base of the CH for a Weaver rail, then install my EOTech. I wonder if this rise in height would have placed the irons just a tad bit lower in the EOTechs window? Guess I'll never know unless I go purchase another CH!
View Quote

Now that's some clever thinking! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Before you do, be warned that even with the lowest rail, your EOTech would be sitting too high, and you probably wouldn't be able to use the irons at all.  The lowest you could get a rail on there would still make it higher that it would be sitting on an ARMS rail.

-Troy
View Quote

You could be right, but I've seen some pretty low weaver rails that look as if mounted on top of the base of the cut carry handle would place the EOTech about 1/10 inch or so higher. I think that would clear up the sight window in the EOTech for a better sight picture. Guess it would just have to be done to see if it really would work out. Who knows I might just try it one of these days, unless one of you guys beats me to it!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top