Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/9/2003 11:20:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2003 11:22:45 AM EDT by ar15a292f]
I am looking to mount a scope on a 20" AR15A2. It will be mounted on the carry handle with an ARMS #2 mount and ARMS #21 30mm STANAG rings. The purpose of the scope will be target work at 100 & 200 yds, load development, competion in 3 gun matches and possible varmint work. I am trying to decide between an IOR Valdada 4x24M2 or a Tasco Super Sniper 10x42. I realize that these are completely different types of scopes, but they are the best that I can afford in there repective catagories. Which would suit my purposes best? I would appreciate any opinions on the subject. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:48:22 AM EDT
For your stated purposes I would go with the Tasco. If you were talking about a SHTF/combat optic for an AR I would go with the IOR.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:12:48 PM EDT
Gunbert, The rifle I am mounting the scope on is my only AR15, so it would also be used for self defense, SHTF/combat etc. Fortunately from a practical standpoint, the closest if have come to an actual SHTF/combat situation is the local 3 gun matches.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:15:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ar15a292f: Gunbert, The rifle I am mounting the scope on is my only AR15, so it would also be used for self defense, SHTF/combat etc. Fortunately from a practical standpoint, the closest if have come to an actual SHTF/combat situation is the local 3 gun matches.
View Quote
Get what will work for what you do the majority of the time, namely the 3 gun matches, targets and varmints. If the shit hits the fan just pull the scope off and use the iron sites.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:59:44 PM EDT
Magnification of 4x is not going to be what you need if you are going to be doing load development. I recommend at least 8x for shooting groups at 100-200 yds. Varmint work, unless it is within 100 yds will need more than a 4x scope as well. You will be miserable trying to shoot 1MOA groups with a 4x scope. I would get the SS10x42 if I were you. I just recently got a SS16x42 and love it so far. The magnification really allows you to clearly see your target. The AR15 is not a long range tactical rifle, but can be used that way in a SHTF situation provided you practice with it, and shoot capable ammo. If you practice, you should be able to get headshots on zombies out to 500 yards or more with good 69 grain loads in a SHTF situation. The 10x will be better for that than a 4x. Like Gunbert says, take the scope off and use the irons, if you feel like you are heading for some CQB action.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:26:46 PM EDT
Why not consider the IOR 10x56mm. It's a great scope and built like a brick shithouse.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:02:06 PM EDT
The difference in cost alone for the IOR 10x compared to the Tasco 10x is over double+. Is it that much better of scope?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:29:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Torf: You will be miserable trying to shoot 1MOA groups with a 4x scope.
View Quote
I think, with a little practice and a good weapon, almost anyone can shoot MOA groups with a 4x scope out to 200 yds.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:40:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SMV:
Originally Posted By Torf: You will be miserable trying to shoot 1MOA groups with a 4x scope.
View Quote
I think, with a little practice and a good weapon, almost anyone can shoot MOA groups with a 4x scope out to 200 yds.
View Quote
Maybe, but with most folks, the weakest link is the EYES! Having 10x of magnification helps a shooter maintain a consistent Point of aim on the smallest and farthest targets. You are correct though. It is nothing special to shoot 1 MOA with a 4x scope. I just think that 10x makes it far easier on the eyes.
Top Top