Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2003 1:04:09 PM EDT
I've been on a four day hunting trip and had a problem with two Aimpoints! One, a 3000, had failed before but has been working properly for several months. The other, a Comp M, failed this trip. Both would either dim or go off entirely when a round was chambered or fired.

After considering sending both units to Aimpoint for repair (and the shipping cost, downtime, and need to rezero two rifles) I decided to clean the switches since the Aimpoints aren't nitrogen charged. To someone with similar problems there's an easy fix. Loosen the allen screw(s) on the brightness knob and remove. Remove the small hex nut and washer plate that retains the switch. Next, remove the end cap that the switch mounts in by unscrewing it. This takes two small pieces of drill stock inserted in the holes in the end cap. Pull the switch unit out being careful not to break the small wire attached to it and remove the rubber gasket. Wrap the unit in a rag and spray a non-conductive cleaner (I used LPS ZeroTri) into the holes in the switch housing. With the knob temporarily reinstalled gently pull (to seat the contacts) and turn the knob back and forth to clean. Rerinse with cleaner and reinstall the parts in reverse of disassembly.

This process fixed both my sights and as a side benefit, both are brighter than before. I wouldn't leave the sight open for long to prevent moisture from getting into it. Don't start the job and finish it next week...

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I sent my five year old Comp ML in about two weeks ago to fix this very problem. They're covering it free of charge.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Let us know what kind of service you recieve, I bet it will be good. I didn't want to send mine in for the reasons listed and because I need the 3000 for the current deer season that opened last weekend. I would like to have a spare switch unit for each because they would be easy to change if needed. My guess is that Aimpoint might be reluctant to sell the parts though.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top