Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 7:56:21 AM EDT
Hey all,

Anyone have a good suggestion for a NV device that is small, AR mountable and will function with a EO Tech 552 or Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:30:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 12:31:56 PM EDT by Troy]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:20:22 PM EDT
I would recommend that you get goggles vice a Night Vision Rifle Scope. I have a NVRS and there's just not something right about swinging a loaded rifle around in the dark at unknown targets to identify them. Walking with a 4x scope glued to one's eye is also very difficult. I wish I had spend the five hundred dollars as a down payment on a set of Generation 2+ goggles. Using a Aimpoint Comp M on it's night vision setting I'm sure I could pop targets out to a couple hundred yards or so light depending. The NVRS is a hoot but it's more for setting up and target shooting/sniping rather than patroling an area or searching for targets. Just something to think about. If you're going to use it anywhere where there might be some light - like near a city - you'll want to avoid the first generation scopes as they burn and bloom like crazy when hit with light. Figure between $2,000 and $3,000 for a generation 2+ or 3 - and watch the crappy Russian tubes. If you're going to spend major bucks might as well spend a few more ducks and get the ITT models with good US tubes. I've got a buddie that trying to hook me up with a used US Military PVXX-7 goggle set. We'll see.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:55:37 PM EDT
The military bought a few million dollars worth of weapon mounted monocular NV bracket/mounts from PRI. They are rugged and have support under the rear of the NV scope to assure continued alighnment even if hit, they don't break. The mount also adjusts up and down to match any ht. needed. Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:00:35 PM EDT
PVS-14 or PVS-18 The 18 is lighter and 'better' but not sure if they are avaialble commercially. The MNVG (monocular night vision goggle) is head and shoulders about other setups as far as giving the soldier the ability to move, shoot, and fight. However for static shooting dedicated weapon night vision like the KAC Universal Knight Sight or a Thermal Weapon Sight are a much better platform.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:06:46 PM EDT
There are several to choose from. The PVS18 IS commercially available but is over $5000. What is your budget? If your budget is so low you can only afford Gen1 technology I would pass on NV all together.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:41:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:23:47 AM EDT
Thanks guys. The NV that Troy posted is the one I want. However, my price range is closer to $1k. So, I may have to wait a few years.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:32:14 AM EDT
I'll also look into Paul's suggestion of a set of goggles.
Top Top