Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2003 5:05:36 PM EDT
I'm new to the board and AR15's as well.  I mainly target shoot with aspirations of doing some varmit hunting as well someday with my DPMS 20" bull.  Haven't gotten to a longer range target (200-300+)yet either, but hope to.  Started hand loading and was very impressed with the results, even with my POS scope.  The scope I've looked at the most and longed for is a Leupold 4x14x50 LR M1, mildot.
I know that a MUCH lesser scope will probably fit my needs, I've looked as Burris Full field II as well, seems OK for what I'd need.  My main question, is the Leupold LR just too much scope for my gun, is that possible?    
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
No its not too much scope.  In my personal opinion a scope should not cost much more than the rifle on which it is mounted.

If you have a $300 rifle a $1200 scope is too much.  That Leupold is not too much scope for your purposes.  It is about perfect for what you want.  The adjustable focus on the LR is very handy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, any more opinions or other scope suggestions would be appreciated.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I think 10 power is more than enough. 50 MM objective lens is much too big and does nothing that is practible, that's why snipers do not use them in thier precision shooting. 50 MM makes you have to raise the optic to clear the weapon, adds wt., give more light, but the eye can not absorb more than what a 32mm objectve lens gives for light that you can absorb. A 40mm is the norm for snipers, mostly due to field of view needs.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The Leupold M1 is nice because it has lots of windage and elevation adjustment and it has the target knobs.  If you don't plan on shooting past 300 yards, you really do not need those features.  The top of the line Nikons, Weavers and Bushnells have glass that is as good or better than the Leupold, and they are cheaper.

A 50mm objective might actually come in handy at night with varmints.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
For people the 14X is too much but not for little varmints.  Realise anything over 3.5-10X Leupold will casue your cheek weld to come up when you mount the scope high enough to clear the Objective lens.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats the main reason I think I'd like the 14X, for the little varmits and some longer range bench shooting.  Plus all the features: mildot, target knobs, side focus... are just sooooo cool.  Not sure I'll ever get the wife to look the other way, but we'll see.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the Leupold LRT.

You WON'T regret it.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top