Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/17/2003 3:18:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2003 4:53:20 PM EDT by Omega_556]
Hello All,

I tried this in the Cali Hometown forum first, but there is not much traffic there so I thought I would try here.

I want to have a Knight RAS Free Float handguard installed on my Bushy 16" M4gery upper. I was considering getting the GG&G handguard and I like how you can mount stuff in all 12 clock positions, although I don’t know how important that is, but I don’t like the fact that that the GG&G unit is two pieces; I want a one piece that is as strong and stiff as possible so I changed my mind to the RAS Free Float.

At the same time I also want a flip up front sight installed, PRI or GG&G. I like the PRI but I don’t like how it clamps on with screws (at least the ones I’ve seen), do they make a pinned version?

I'm in San Diego and I'd prefer somebody close so I can talk to the smith face to face and just drop it off and pick it up in person rather than shipping my upper away. Although I won't sacrifice quality in workmanship for geographic location.

I'm not opposed to driving into OC, Riverside, SBD, or even shipping my upper away; I just want somebody to do the work that really knows and loves what they are doing…

Can anyone recommend someone specific to use, or to stay away from?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:47:53 PM EDT
Omega, I had the same idea about face-to-face with a local high-speed shop, but I only found one. http://www.egsw.com/home.htm Evans is the first to tell you that they are THE ONLY licensed blah blahblah blah blah and they are in OC. DON'T BOTHER!! I asked them about installing a PRI flip-front and what the price would be. They said they couldn't be sure but it would probably be 100 bucks!! On top of the price for the unit itself makes it an impossibility. However they were more than happy to tell me about the sight they make inhouse and I could have that one for a mere "$199 INSTALLED!" even thought on their website it says $149, and the first time I called they said $179. They should start a law practice. I sent my gear off to Kurts Kustom Firearms all they way in Fla. and they are installing the sight for 25 bucks!! I also asked Evans about spec'ing out my upper (checking for SIR compatibility) and they said if it's not they could always machine it into spec and that I SHOULDN'T be spending more than $200(!!!) having that done. So I asked, if that's the case, why I wouldn't just buy a stripped reciever from Armalite (Bushmaster, etc.)and have my barrel installed, that would be much cheaper, not to mention more reliable. I never heard back from them. Used car salesmen. You are better off using one of the shops off AR15.com (MSTN, Eagle firearms, Kurts,...). Many are very happy to discuss all aspects of your rifle and loads of people are willing to testify to their workmanship and upfront dealing. Side note: Eagle Firearms said that if I buy an 'M'ilitary model SIR from them that they would remove that pesky 'D' ring and install it no charge. So there are square deals and better to be had here just send out some email! Hope this helps. Cheers.
Top Top