Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/4/2003 3:38:32 PM EDT
Why is army using TA01NSN instead of more versatile TA31?
Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:53:57 PM EDT
Because the Army is not as smart as the Marines when it comes to combat... [;)]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:29:25 PM EDT
Spoke to one of the Trijicon folks at Shot Show earlier and the year. The way he told the story, Trijicon were actually trying to tell the military to hold up and they were developing an optic they thought they would like much more (some BAC ACOG, dont know which one). But the TAO1 series was out and they wanted something then and went with it? Dont know how true or false this is, I just heared it!
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:37:46 PM EDT
IIRC, when the original SOPMOD package was put together the TA01 WAS the ACOG that was available, and the NSN version was made upon request so it had back up irons. I could be wrong. Pay attention to the news pics out of Iraq and Afghanistan. There are more and more TA31s showing up, Im assuming private purchase.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:37:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DevL: Because the Army is not as smart as the Marines when it comes to combat... [;)]
View Quote
[marines]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:48:17 AM EDT
Similar to the Block 2 circus, it's better to get 90% now than wait forever for the last 10%. "The best is the enemy of the good." I know I'd rather have a quality magnifying optic available than nothing. :)
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:01:44 PM EDT
Is BAC-ret too bright for NVD compatibility? TA01-NSN specified the dimmer, yellow center-only illumination...
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 7:18:16 PM EDT
The Marines were using the BAC ACOGs behind the PVS-14 in the MARSYSCOM report. So the reticle wouldn't affect the PVS-14 in that configuration. I personally have no idea why the Army went with the TA01NSN over the BAC ACOGs - even after the NSN was selected for the SOPMOD kit, you would still see TA11s on some Special Operations rifles. If I had to make a wild guess it would be that the spec was written before they had a chance to see the BAC concept at work.
Top Top