Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2003 4:54:57 PM EDT
What slot from the rear do you fit the cross bar of the ARMS #19S ACOG mount, in particular when used with the ARMS #40 or possible a KAC 300 meter sight?

Trying out the TA31 today and had to place the cross bar of the ARMS #19S mount in the fourth slot foward from the rear (T4) with KAC 600 meter sights which are on the 20" HBAR.   Since I have the A1 stock on the M16A1, the ACOG is too far foward and thus currently on the M4 w/o BUIS.

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what number it is, but I had to move it one notch forward from the #40 with the collapsible stock:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=18185[/img]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice photo, thanks.

If one assumes that the ARMS #40 uses only the last notch, then appears yours would also be in the fourth notch from the rear.

Looks like need to consider one or more of the following:[list]
[*]Learn to scrunch more[/*]
[*]Changing stocks on the M16A1 (transferable receiver thus make stock changes slowly)[/*]
[*]Give up BUIS on the M16A1[/*]
[*]Only put the ACOG on the pre-ban semi[/*]

[*]"Toss" the TA31 and get a TA11[/*]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you look at the pic above, you can go one more notch to the rear. That is evident by the way the rear of the 19-s is contoured to mate with the front contour of the #40.There is no problem from ny of the set ups shown hear or elsewhere that I have seen. The #40 has the short length I have seen and takes up only the first notch. Try again and it will go right in where you want it.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]
JT, if you aren't getting sufficient eye relief there is one other option not on your list:

[img]http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/AR15_2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
JT, if you aren't getting sufficient eye relief there is one other option not on your list:

With the A1 stock almost went the way of the TA11 .... and if get second will probably try one with a Cheveron.

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh jeez, I cant wait to get this TA11!!! Anyway, if you get your nose down to the charging handle, you should absolutely be able to get your eye near enough to the TA31 on either that rail or one more to the reare like Jack mentions. Weather or not that is actually comfortable to you will be another story.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I shoot my TA31 like this...
(the gas tube is on now BTW)

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17222[/img]

Work for me but YMMV
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Have tried the TA31 on a friends M4 stocked M16 (should really have gotten a second M16 when they were cheep ten years ago) and works great with the stock in notch or maybe two.  The two friends with M4 stocked M16s have offered to "keep" the ACOG and M4 upper for me and let me use it when I wish (which actually would work since it is their farms I am shooting on mostly).

The TA31 works on my A1 stock w/o BUIS fine (and more or less ok with), however, still on low on the learning curve.  Was an interesting Sunday shooting ... switching between the ACOG on the M16 (M4 or HBAR) and the Leupold mil dot on the AR10A4 (talk about variation in eyerelief).

Thanks for the ideas, photos and help on line or off.

Regards
John
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=235&iImageUnq=16041[/img]

I shoot mine stock fully extended, scope mounted against the 40.

Im bladed and nose to the charging handle for precision distance shots and square on pulled away from the scope for close range shots using the BAC.  It cuts the FOV down to surround the donut and make it the center of focus with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine is exactly set up like Mr.bsbg's.

I thought it looks more balanced...but I think it is better position when you are accustomed to shooting with iron sights.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Moved the TA31 to the third notch (just like the photo from Lumpy196) and with a little extra "scrunching" works in semi and full, so should be able to fit on the ARMs #40 sights.

So once had it all setup and working well on the M4, removed it and gave it to a friend to try on his AUG and M4 the rest of the month ... (trying to talk him into getting the TA31f so I can shoot both of them).

Only "problem" I have found with the AOCG is that I find myself now looking at getting one of the TA11's with a chevron for the .308 .... this could be habbit forming (is the an ACOG version of AA?).

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#12]
ACOGs are like ruffles, betcha cant have just one!
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ACOGs are like ruffles, betcha cant have just one!
View Quote

Ruffles?  You mean... Long Island iced teas[;)]

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/DaisyBBgun.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok ... how many ACOGs are "enough"?

I get this felling the number is well in excess of my total life time income measured in thousands of dollars ..... oh well that is what credit is for.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top