Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2003 12:14:33 AM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

I'm set on both the TA31A with an ARMS #19s and the CompM2 with an ARMS #22M68 using an ARMS #40 as the backup iron for each. Before I place the order however I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be better off spending a few extra bucks for the TA11D.

As near as I can figure out the TA11D has slightly less magnification but a slightly brighter objective. Overall it's two inches longer but still fits just fine on an A3 flattop. Most of my target shooting is at 150 meters, but occasionally I'd like to reach out to fullsize silhouette targets at 300 meters.

Pretending for a second that they cost exactly the same am I still better off with the TA31A, or should I order the TA11D instead?

Thank you in advance for your expertise. Given the expense of the ACOG I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. I've never spent more than $500 on an optic before so I'd kick myself pretty hard if I screwed it up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#1]
At the point it comes down to a TA11D or TA31A, chances are very good that you will be pleased regardless of what you choose.

I run a TA11 and it is more than capable of making good hits on much smaller than silhouette sized targets at 300m. The TA31 is also plenty capable in that regard.

The TA11D will give you a little bit more leeway for head movement with its larger exit pupil and longer eye relief. The TA31A will give you slightly more magnification and a larger reticle and field of view (the range marks on the TA11D are smaller - check the reticle pictures thread tacked in this forum to see an example of each).

I know exactly what you are going through with the TA31 or TA11 dilemna - I still go through it myself on occasion.

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Between those two scopes it really comes down to one thing that really matters. If you are ok with the eye relief-exit pupil on the TA-31 series than go with it. If not go with the TA-11 series. I had a TA-31 and sold it to purchase a TA-11. The TA-31 just was not forgiving enough for me. I would say that the TA-11 is allot more forgiving than the TA-31. You don't have to have your head locked into almost one exact position to get a good view. With the extra 40% more eye relief and 20% more exit pupil you can move your head much more up and down left to right and the real big time improvement is front to back. But if it doesn't bother you you get 4x instead of 3x, you go from about 29 feet to 38 feet field of view (both I think don't matter much) and what I think is the biggee is tha TA-11 is quit abit larger over all and 4oz heavier.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes head position and eye relief are the issues.  Brightness is not an issue as both have the same coatings and exit pupils larger than the diameter of the fully dialated human eye.  I prefer the TA11 becasue it occludes less of your forward view, its easier for me to focus on the target and reticle without eyestrain and is more comfortable due to the eyerelief.  I dont like the eye relief of the TA01 series.  If you like being that close to the scope then you will prefer the TA31 in all probability.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all. Eye relief is something that I hadn't even considered much to be honest. I have a pretty severe astigmatism, so maybe I should focus on the TA11 series afterall.

In the world of conventional rifles scopes I had to spend a significant amount of money on a Leupold mainly for that reason. Even though less expensive scopes were just as crisp and bright as the Leupold they ended up being less forgiving and unsuitable for me.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top