Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2003 10:36:10 AM EDT
I was planning on an EoTech in the not too distant future, and I'm aware that it will co-witness with the front sight. On the other hand, that means that the FS obscures half of the EOTech's window. Is this a real problem or am I obsessing ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You won't hardly notice the front site. The recticle is so much larger and brighter it over shadows it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Focus on your target, and you will not see the FS.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The front sight does seem to obscure a lot of the window when you play with it, but in actual shooting it is not as much of a problem as you'd think.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If I leave the front cover closed on my M68 I can still shoot perfectly.  The front sight is minute compared to having the cover closed.

Shoot these sights with both eyes open -- as they're designed to shoot.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Zhukov,
If you want it to co-witness, the FS HAS to be in your line of sight. If it bothers you, just get a scope riser but you will lose the co-witness.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:02:13 AM EDT
[#6]
No, it's not a problem and yes, you are obsessing which is why I can understand exactly where you're coming from [:)] But others have said it best. Focus on your target and the FS will disappear like it's magic.

[b]Do not[/b] get a riser to elevate the EO Tech above the FS. This will kill your cheekweld unless you're wearing a gas mask. ARMS makes a QD hi-rise mount for the EO Tech that was specifically designed for operators wearing gas masks. Besides, raising the optic even further above the bore line isn't a good idea either.

You can always consider getting a folding front sight. I've got one on one of my AR's but I like the fixed sight more. One less thing to worry about breaking and, since the whole point of backup iron sights is to have them as a backup in case your optic goes down, it makes sense to have them a Murphy-proof as possible.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was planning on an EoTech in the not too distant future, and I'm aware that it will co-witness with the front sight. On the other hand, that means that the FS obscures half of the EOTech's window. Is this a real problem or am I obsessing ?
View Quote

To each their own, but I wouldn't consider NOT having a flip down front & rear sight using an EoTech.  Half you sight picture is obscured by the front sight post.  Trust me, you'll be happier with your EoTech with a flip down.

See this post for front options . . .
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=173011[/url]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Zhukov,

It will take you 1 magazine to get use to shooting the EOTech with both eyes open and the front sight will be the furthest thing from you mind.  When you're shooting, you'll forget you even have a front sight.  Leave it as is.  If by some chance you need to go to back ups you don't want to spend the time flipping two sights up.

Believe me, you won't notice it when shooting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:31:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If by some chance you need to go to back ups you don't want to spend the time flipping two sights up.
View Quote

I'm always amazed that NOBODY seems to have a problem with the time it takes to flip up their rear sight but almost EVERBODY has a problem with the time it takes to flip up the front sight.  If you're THAT worried about time to deploy then just have both fixed front and rear and look OVER them to shoot through the top half of your EoTech.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm always amazed that NOBODY seems to have a problem with the time it takes to flip up their rear sight but almost EVERBODY has a problem with the time it takes to flip up the front sight.
View Quote

Well, I can see where they are coming from.  With the rear flip up, you don't have to take the rifle out of your shoulder pocket or loose your cheek weld.  With the front, you might have to unshoulder the rifle to reach the front.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Plus there are at least three rear flips-ups that are both spring loaded and pretty fast to pop up.  There are only two front flip up sights AFAIK that are spring loaded.  One is too heavy and bulky looking, and the other is the CAT.  I am not sure how fast the Lbaer is is to flip up, but the CAT would be decent.  I just don't like railed gasblocks or thumbnuts on gear that is supposed to stay on.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top