Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2003 11:14:04 PM EDT
Any advantages of getting the TA01NSN over the TA31F for the 2nd ACOG?  The cross hairs are a little finer for smaller targets, but get lost easier on high contrast background.

The BAC feature of the TA31f is less major for the 20" HBAR, in part as it already has an Aimpoint mounted (which could even be left on).

Thanks - "Borrow" my by own thread, which started:

Was After looking for BAC ACOGs for a couple years (only TA01 NSNs around here) ordered a TA31 yesterday after figuring that would look the same as the TA11 with the eyerelief / field of view of the TA01 (hard way to shop ;-).

And of course the next gun show I went into (INDY 1500) had a TA31f sitting on J&T's table ... thinking the TA31 is perfect on the M4 and the TA31f is for the 20" HBAR flat top on the M16A1  ... comments?

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I owned a TA-31 that I purchased site un seen because of the reccommendations of AR15.com members. It made sence to me to get the TA-31 over the TA-11 because it had the most going for it, not only the extra magnification and field of view but I liked the idea of it being allot smaller and lighter. After looking through it (I never ended up shooting it and sold it) I just wasn't willing to live with the poor eye relief. If the eye relief is ok with you the TA31 is the way to go. I ended up purchasing the TA-11 and I'm super happy with the extra eye relief and larger exit pupil. Basicly what they both mean is that the TA-11 is allot more forgiving to where your head is. Both frong to rear along with top to bottom and left to right. It does look twice as big and it weights 50% more which are the drawbacks to me. If your ok with the eye relief of the TA01NSN go for the TA31. I have seen both the Red and Amber triangle and the red donut and I would stick with the red, it is easier to see and seems brighter. I think that the donut and the triangle are both great and I would reccommend both. The triangle has the tip for a finer aiming point and the donut is brighter because of more mass. I hope this helps a little. Also their is a post at the top of the page that has pictures of the recticles you might want to look at. Oh and quit screwing around and get one you will be very happy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Have a TA31 [s]coming next week[/s] [red][b]HERE[/red][/b] and thinking about getting the TA31F (or TA01NS) [s]at the show this weekend [/s]  

This is maybe a little too much of a good think, in particular with you comments on the eyerelief ... (a concern as have only got to play with TA01 NSN in the store ... and it almost come home as liked the dual Aimpoint / TA01 NSN setups).

Regards
John
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]
If yo like the TA01 you will like the TA31.  I hate the TA01 eye relief and love the TA11.  Probably from my first time shooting as a kid. Got hit in the eye with the scope when I took my first deer becasue I was too short to use the stock. [B)]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I was sort of considering the same thing.

Just bought a TA31A (triangle) for my M4 and it seems to be a great fit for me.

I heard all the complaints about eye relief and was a little concerned about it, but it turned out not to be a problem.  I have the scope mounted all the way back on a Swan sleeve and if you take a cheek weld right where you would on an iron sighted gun (at the charging handle or about an inch or so back) the eye relief is just right.  I don't want to have to hunt for the correct cheek weld on each of my AR's, so having a consistent spot to put my face is important.

The triangle reticle is great. The top of it works quite well for precision shots, and it is extremely visible in daylight.  Never having even seen an ACOG in the flesh before, I had some vague worries about the triangle obscuring too much of the target.  Let me tell you, it isn't a problem out to 100 yards. Past that, things might get dicey, at least until you begin to hold on the hashmarks.

Still, I would like to try a TA01 or TA11D for my  20" flattop.  I want the triangle reticle on the next ACOG I buy, though I wouldn't rule out the crosshairs either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And of course the next gun show I went into (INDY 1500) had a TA31f sitting on J&T's table ... thinking the TA31 is perfect on the M4 and the TA31f is for the 20" HBAR flat top on the M16A1  ... comments?

View Quote

I was at the Indy show.  Did you ever come by PK Firearms? It would be to the left of the entrance maybe 3 rows and about 15 tables in.  We had all the A.R.M.S. mounts.  and a lot of other quality AR15 stuff.  Did you look through the TA31F, because if you did, we probably shared coodies!  First BAC ACOG I had looked through except for a compact.

PK Firearms will be at the January show too.  It would be cool to meet someone from ARF.com land.  Just come by and tell someone that you are looking for a guy from AR15.com.  If I am not there, I will probably get the word.  Plus you can fondle all the cool stuff!
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Stopped by your table a couple of times looking at the TA01 NSN and Reflex Tripower, plus you spent most of an hour picking out parts for the funny black rifles from Germany .... small world [;)].

Regards
John

P.S. The TA31 "donut" appears to be way better than the TA31f when used with both eyes open ...

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, I don't concentrate on the chevron when I'm shooting.  I let it blur and it becomes a larger "dot".  I would like to side by side check them out though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Only have a little time at the show with the TA31f, but found the "donut" brigher.

Second I have not moved up the learning curve on the TA31f enough and thus find myself stopping for a fraction of a second to decide what "part or the ^ to use".  Which is not totally fair as my semi auto is an AUG and thus use to the "ring" (aka donut).
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#9]
So what do you have the TA31 donut mounted on?  You are using a 19S right?  I might have to come see how that works, I have not used BAC much.

The donut just has so much more area than the chevron and it makes all the difference in the way your eye picks it up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Have two primary uppers for the M16A1, a 20" HBAR and a M4 flat top upper, each having their own Aimpoints in the past.

For the time being the ACOG TA31 is being put on the M4, thus the consideration of getting the second ACOG for the HBAR ... possible the TA01 NSN (in which case can have the Aimpoint M2 mounted if one wanted a heavy BAC) or the TA31f ...which is a little more trim.

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
TA01 has a fully lit reticle, the NSN model comes with a TA51 mount and the worthless BUIS.  If I could do it over again, I would have got the TA01 and 19S, but it'd still be a TA01x just for something different.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#12]
JTinIN, that sounds like a nice setup.  You know[;)] all SPRs are built on M16A1 lowers, maybe you need one of those[}:D]?  Just a question, and I know that you know the answer.  If you drop a semi-auto upper onto an auto lower, even with the switch placed on auto, it would still just shoot semi because the carrier is cut out so it won't hit the auto sear.  Correct?

Oh, man, I have to get to bed, I have school tommorrow.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think there's such a thing as semi upper, it's the bolt, auto sear, trigger, hammer, etc., uppers are all the same.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Close friend of mine likes the "POS" BUIS on the TA01 NSN, primarly because that is what he trained on in weapons school and thus he likes the TA01 NSN.

I have decided to address this by letting him use my TA31 for a month on his AUG (has the rail so I hope the ARMs #19S works well  ... any experence with TA31 on the new rail AUGs in full auto ... will also make a neat 9mm subgun).

Can think of three possible reasons for the "POS" BUIS [list]
[*]Replacement for optics on the TA01 NSN if the optics got dirty / snow covered etc. (at least until you could clean them, which in a fire fight might be a couple second later).[/*]

[*]First attempt to combine X4 optics with close range sights ... this might acutally kinda of work (at least until one uses a scope with BAC ... nice!).[/*]
[*]A last it makes everyone "feel" good to have a second set of sights, no matter how marginal they are.[/*]

By the way the ACOG TA31 went on the the ARMs #19S very well and fits the M4 nicely.  As has the A1 stock (which may change this winter ;-), I am currently runing just one notch foward and can not fit in BUIS.
[b][blue]Why did not any one tell me about this combination of an TA31 & #19S ... LOL![/b][/blue].

Now to get some trigger time and see if the short eyerelief will be an issue on full auto, before I decide on TA01 vs TA31f vs TA11 vs ???

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't think there's such a thing as semi upper, it's the bolt, auto sear, trigger, hammer, etc., uppers are all the same.
View Quote

Some of the older Colt uppers did not have the cut out to make room for the sear, other wise you are totally correct and we have dropped a friends 7.62 by 39 upper on the M16s with a new bolt carrier ... worked great ... just a little more recoil (not as much as the G3s [;)].

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#16]
ah, can always rely on Colt to be PC [:|]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Wondering if I need to make another M4 upper for the Aimpoint or will I never shoot it again after using the ACOG? [;)]

[blue]Can/should one use the lock washers on the 10-32 button headed screws that hold the ACOG to the ARMs #19 mount (looks like interference but have not tried yet).  When everthing is worked out will think about degressing and use a medium strenght tread locking compound. [/blue]

Well time to get some trigger time in and have the upper back sighted in for the winter.

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Some of the older Colt uppers did not have the cut out to make room for the sear, other wise you are totally correct and we have dropped a friends 7.62 by 39 upper on the M16s with a new bolt carrier ... worked great ... just a little more recoil (not as much as the G3s [;)].

View Quote

Right, I knew that the only difference in the upper is the bolt carrier.  But it would be cut out as to not hit the autosear, so it would just function as a semi, even when the switch was flipped to auto.  I am correct right?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:32:45 AM EDT
[#19]
No, you don't need another [b]M4 upper[/b], you need a [b]LMT 10.5 upper[/b], it would go better with the Aimpoint.

[image]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/mstn/M4Short.JPG[/image]

And maybe a magpul m93 stock to go with it.  It is really the best for using with a combination of uppers because the check weld is constant.

[image]http://mstn.biz/images/Grips%20and%20Stocks/Magpul-M93-black.jpg[/image]

Just some options [;)]

As for lock washers on the 19S with the TA31, sure you could do it, just make sure that you have enough threads left for the screws.  Or you could just use brass flat washers.  If you are going to use a threadlocker, just us a medium or a light compound. You don't want it to become a permanent assembly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Both the TA31f and TA01NSN are designed for a 62gr bullet. Here is an email response I received from Trijicon technical support about the TA31F.

Thank you for your interest in Trijicon products.  Our model TA31F ACOG scope was calibrated using the trajectory information for a 14.5" barrel and a 62 gr. bullet.  Our model TA11F ACOG scope was calibrated using the trajectory information for a 14" barrel and a 62 gr. bullet.  Please contact me at the number below anytime Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you again,

Carrie Lettieri
Customer Service
[email protected]
1-800-338-0563

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top