Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/24/2003 9:22:04 PM EDT
Hello-

I am curious. Is the "red dot" in an Aimpoint M2 sight supposed to be a very round precise dot? The dot in the sight I own has a bit of a "halo" or "fuzzy irregular edge" (for lack of a better description) quality to the dot. It is much more noticeable at higher settings, but I can still see the "halo/fuzz" pattern of the dot even at the lowest settings visible (I dont have any NV gear - so I cant comment on those settings)

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:35:59 PM EDT
yes and the quality of your eyes is important too. If you have an astigmatism it will be oblonged to one side with a starbust effect. If you look past the dot to the target and not at the dot it will not look as funny.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:02:43 PM EDT
I've got pretty bad astigmatism in both eyes and my aimpoint comp ml2 red dot will have the blurry effect once it gets on the higher brightness settings in lower light conditions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:00:13 AM EDT
I've got BAD eyes, with my contacts having one prescription and glasses another, the glasses being newer. With my glasses the dot is fairly precise, but with my contacts it can vary from the halo to starburst. Chris
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:22:59 AM EDT
I have 20/20 vision and I see a a halo in the higher settings. but like Devl said when you are looking at the target you dont really notice it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:36:20 AM EDT
It will never be a precise, round dot like a traditional scope reticle. It gets worse if you turn it up too high, and as noted your eyesight palys a big part.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:43:38 AM EDT
Thanks guys...last time I had my eyes checked they were 20/10, but they must be going down hill fast. Oh, well.... [:(]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:14:12 AM EDT
The "L" versions seem more prone to non-circular dots then the versions with night vision lens coatings and internals. High illumination levels distort the dot. Too close to your eye will also magnify any perceptive defects in the dot. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:20:33 AM EDT
I wear glasses also, but I noticed that the dot "clears" up after I keep it on for a while. warming up? hmmm
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:13:16 AM EDT
I've got astigmatism so indoors or at low light the dot blooms slightly. However, outdoors in good light the dot is a perfect circle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:21:35 PM EDT
a ^ * . or grain of rice. Depending on your vision and how many times you dropped the sight. Mine is a tactical diagnal grain of rice. My Eotech is a giant cluster of red dots.
Top Top