Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/22/2003 8:58:03 PM EDT
I just purchased a BSA Red-dot. Something cheap to get me aquanted with optics. My question is this:

Itmounts directly to my A3 flattop. But when it is turned on, it is so low that the reddot is in the middle of the front sight. I knowI could get a mount to make it higher, but how will it affect things as it is now? Will I just have to aim at the center of the post? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:09:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/22/2003 9:10:48 PM EDT by spacemenow1]
Hello. I also have a BSA Redot scope. It is a good redot for the price. But for you to get an unobstructed sight picture, it should be mounted high enough that the dot is not blocked by the front sight. My redot was mounted on an A2 receiver on top of the carry handle and so it easily cleared the front sight. I would recommend a spacer or mount that mounts onto the flat top and then you mount the BSA scope on the spacer. Something like here: [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/arms5.asp[/url]. This is a mount sold by Bushmaster but any similar mount would work also. Now if you have about $500 to spend on a redot and mount, I would recommend an Aimpoint with the ARMS Aimpoint mount and spacer. ;)-
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:25:21 PM EDT
Nice, might have to do something like that. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:26:29 AM EDT
For a cheap red dot, don't waste your money on an ARMS riser mount you can get those things for $15 if you shop around. Gunshows, Ebay, Tapco, etc. I got two of them for $25.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:56:50 AM EDT
BSA red dot. man that's a cheep dot! you can build up a pad of hot glue to your upper and then glue the scope down. won't affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:59:06 AM EDT
Yea, it is cheap. Don't have the $$ for an Eotech yet, give me a couple few weeks, I spend more then the dot costs every time I go out, so I figured would be something good to start out with. :)
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:00:57 AM EDT
Hrmm, for some reason I don't think I want a bunch of hot-glue on my upper hehe. Unless I am not understanding you correctly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:50:49 AM EDT
you are! just a joke. i would say hang loose for a month or two and buy an Aimpoint and ARMS or GG&G mount. get good milspec gear. years down the road you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:16:01 AM EDT
I did the same thing to start out with a dot. I bought the Yankee Hill riser that Bushmaster shows in the catalog. You can mount the BSA to the receiver and then adjust the dot up (a lot) to get over the front sight, but this isn't a good way to do it, you lose too much to the front sight. It's time for something different now, I just can't decide between Aimpoint and Eotech.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:41:00 PM EDT
$15 for a Tapco or similar riser and do not spend any more money on this set up. That's where I am at and it is ok for now. Saving for something better and stronger. TommyB
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:41:07 PM EDT
Those cheapo after market made in china mounts are so far out of spec, that is why they cost $15.-25.00 bucks. Better off to get a good rail or good ring. If you get a better scope some day, you will have the good ring for it. I'd recomend the 22M68 with the full spacer, and if you get a raiol some day you have a ring at the right ht., by simply removing the spacer. You pd. a lot of money for the weapon, why put junk out of spec mounts on it is my thinking. Good shootin, Jack
Top Top