Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/15/2003 6:07:18 PM EDT
Any comments on the hooded crosshair front sights sold at Brownells for use on an AR?http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13803&title=SEMI-AUTO+RIFLE+FRONT+SIGHT
When using the stock peep sights I always question my ability to have the front post in the same location. Is it easier to center the crosshairs or the post? Is more practice the real solution? Am I just a pussy?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:33:24 PM EDT
And why does Pvt. Pile have a jelley doughnut in his footlocker? Is pvt. Pile allowed to have Jelly doughnuts? Is chow allowed in the barraks?!?! Sorry. It is a good question.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:16:43 AM EDT
Because he wants to be a cop? Seriously, I'm hell with a scope or regulsr iron sights but I've never been real confident with a peep sight and a post. Looking for input before I blow big bucks ($27)on one of those sights.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:37:15 PM EDT
At my monthly run and gun i usually shoot with some sort of optic ,but when i bought my new JP CTR-02 match rifle i wanted to also have a set up for limited if i should shoot a real 3-gun match that doesn't have a tactical class.JP suggested the cross hair front globe.I tried it ,and now believe in it.It is as they say.The level of precision is on par with optics as long as you can see the target well.You need the DPMS flat top shorty A-2 rear moved forward about a inch or more to get the desired halo effect around the front globe and just center the cross hairs.If you get it ajusted just right you will think that you are looking thru one round retical and all you have to do is center the cross hairs.I shot 3 local matches this way and did as good as i might normally have done with optics and i hadnt shot iron sights since 1999.I was pleased with its performance.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:07:26 PM EDT
Thanks, I 'm going to try it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:17:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:13:36 PM EDT
Thanks Troy, Between you and girand it sounds like the perfect excuse for two guns, Dr. Precision and Mr. Reliability. I like it!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:39:03 PM EDT
Troy would be correct.For some reason i assumed it was for gaming of some sort ,thats why i mentioned limited 3-Gun.I forgot i was on AR-15.com ,where emphasis is always on serious weaponry and not like on another site i frequent, competition.I live in both worlds.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:58:42 PM EDT
I've seen those and it appears the cross hairs are of a thing steel wire type? I'd be worried about getting something jammed in the crosshair through thick brush and the fragile crosshairs getting bent and misaligned out of wack.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:56:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2003 5:58:38 AM EDT by dennysguns]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:20:25 PM EDT
I have one of the KNS precision front sight posts and it definitely allows me to be much more precise and accurate especially combined with a small rear aperature. I would only consider using this sight on a range or in good lighting conditions because the hood limits the amount of light thru the sight. For all around shooting, I would stick with the standard front sight post. If you want more precision with the standard front sight post use a smaller rear aperature.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:38:52 PM EDT
I had one of them but found them to be somewhat loose when raised to set elevation. Never could figure out how to get the looseness out. I eventually went to a Levang front sight post, which seem to work a little better. I have lousy eyes anyway.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:10:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By IronBalaclava: I've seen those and it appears the cross hairs are of a thing steel wire type? I'd be worried about getting something jammed in the crosshair through thick brush and the fragile crosshairs getting bent and misaligned out of wack.
View Quote
The same can be said for that tiny 0.05 mil-spec post that's exposed all across the top. At least rather thick circle encloses and protects the sight from sideways knocks - if you're lucky enough to stab a stick hard enough and small enough perfectly though the tiny hole you're having a really good day. I have one on my varmint rifle but wouldn't have one on a social rifle.
Top Top