Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2003 8:05:00 AM EDT
Which of these scopes are the best buy?

I am looking for a medium to low range magnification.

Used mainly for plinking from 25 to 350 yards.

Around $200 or less.

Each one has it's advantages.

1)Bushnell 3200
2-7x32mm w/rainguard

2)Burris Fullfield II Scopes
3-9x40mm - Ballistic Plex Reticle

3)ATN
5x33L (illuminated reticle)

Or any other similar scope at around the same price.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with those scopes, but in the same price range you might still be able to find the Leupold Vari-X IIs.  The VX line has replaced the Vari-X II.

Or here is a link to the Leupold VX-I scopes at [url=http://www.riflescopes.com/riflescopes/leupold/VX-I/index.html]SWFA[/url].

Cabela's Alaskan scopes are also supposed to be very good quality at a very good price.

FWIW, I personally don't see much use for the illuminated reticle.  That's just my opinion though.  Not all, but most of my scopes are used for hunting.  I won't shoot an animal if I can't see it without the illuminated retical.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Get yourself a Simmons Aetec scope. They are tough as hell and meet your price range. I have two, one on my 3 mag and the other on my 50 beowulf...never a problem
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Aetec has pretty good optics, but weak tubes.  I've folded two.  I've been told that simmon addressed know weakness w/ the expedition series.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Of the three the Bushnell 3200 series has the brightest and clearest glass...everything else is going to be about equal or so....350yds with 7x or 9x is gonna be not so fun......IMO.....

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Aetec has pretty good optics, but weak tubes.  I've folded two.  I've been told that simmon addressed know weakness w/ the expedition series.  
View Quote

DANG, how did you fold them?  I have four of the 2.5x10 AETECs (only $100 at Wal-Mart) and when my AR fell off the gun rack at the range and landed right on the scope it just had some scratches in the finish.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I use an older Burris 3-9 on my AR and love it. I have 3 Burris scopes and highly recommend them. As mentioned, shooting at 350 yards with a 9x scope is doable, but might be more fun with at least 12x glass (depends on what you are shooting I guess). I really like the range that a 3-9 gives me on a carry rifle and use it successfully out to 200-250 yards on chucks.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top