Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2003 2:58:54 AM EDT
How many out there in TV land have made this spendy purchase? Which one did you buy? Did you spring for the varible gain or go for the slightly less expensive version? Also what are the differant mounting methods out there that would put it over the ARMS 40 BUIS? If ya got pics of your set up, lets see em

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Option #2 is to use a SIR system (or similar)which would raise the sight height and keep the BUIS at the lower original level.

Take a look at a SIR system on a rifle. You will note the rear sight is very low enabling the use of the PRI mount.

MSTN- the rail sight you are referring to- is it the one where the PVS uses the helmet bayonet QD mount to clip onto the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

IN MY LINE OF WORK, I HAVE OBSERVED THAT "APPARENT I.Q." IS DIRECTLY PROPORTINAL TO THE AMOUNT OF AMBIENT WHITE LIGHT. DO NOT GET STUPID IN THE DARK WITH A LOADED GUN!
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

And that ain't no shit...
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Working on getting either 7b or other NV binos for the head and helmet but I do want ot put a monoclar on the weapon or hang it from a head or helmet mount. IS the variable gain that useful or is it just a nice to have?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the military cantalever looking PVS 14 mount called? How expensive are they? Hell I may just get my machinest to build me something. As for an IR laser working on that approch as well. I would like to have both passive and active sighting.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]
i bought the ITT 6015 64lp tube w/ out variable gain to go behind my M2. i use a KAC 300M BUIS and the GGG tall mount for the NV. i totally agree w/ Wes, it's a bad poor design for mounting an expensive piece of technology. the lens ring seems like it could rip away your fun quickly. i also have tried the Litton arm which threads into the body of the NV but i only use that when i am shooting with the paq4c.

another option is the USNV 14, it also has a nice mount the allows flat top use.

personally i don't care for the monocle/aimpoint set up. the field of view is too restrictive if you get them close together. if you can keep them far enough appart then you gain the FOV back but have to deal with the ghost image of the sight housing.

i prefer a deticated NV scope for night time fun. someday a pvs17 will cross my path!

the head mounted NVD and a laser is next best, IMHO but YMMV.

oh ya, the pvs14 arm is available from US NIGHT VISION. seems i paid about 50 bucks for mine and it came with the covert eye piece.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm using a PVS 14 with variable gain. I've used it alongside other units such as the PVS 7's and 5's and it's a really great unit.

IR lasers and NVD's are definetly a new world of shooting for you if you've never done it. To be honest I've also mounted visible lasers and used them in addition to the IR. I've read that they will bloom too much to use but I really didn't notice the blooming effect to be that much more significant from visible to IR. You can easily accidentally blind yourself momentarily if you hit something too close with an IR. I'm not sure what the possibility of damaging the intensifier tube would be with too much visible laser aiming but if you used self discipline with the visible the way you would with a flash light then I'd think the clicking on and off wouldn't be too bad. Perhaps someone here could comment better on that.

I've found that I like the variable gain feature.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I WILL AGREE THAT THE SIR RAIL WILL RAISE THE REAL ESTATE UNDER THE PVS-14 MOUNT 0.46". BUT THE AIMPOINT DOT WILL STILL BE AT THE SAME HEIGHT. WHEN YOU LOOK THROUGH THE NVD, THE AIMPOINT DOT IS IN THE TOP OF THE AIMPOINT FIELD OF VIEW, AND IN THE BOTTOM OF THE NVD FIELD OF VIEW.

Is this with the GG&G high mount? I am going to check this with a low mount.
FWIW, I get great alignment using the #50 bilevel SIR and an EOTech with the PRI mount.

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#10]
www.binoculars.com
http://just-binoculars.com
www.mountsplus.com
www.nvec-night-vision.com
www.nightline-inc.com
www.nightvisionweb.com
These are some of the links Ive found which Do have different mounts on them with NVD and they have the Litton PVS 14D at 4200$. Personnaly Im going to get the best I can why waste the money. Even if I mount it on my primary I can still slap it on my brain box.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Remington Night vision is making a Monoloc NV mount for the ANPVS-14 and different monolocs will mount to ACOG's Aimpoints and EO tech holos.

Very good idea.  

They are pricey but at least they get the job done.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top