Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 6:17:14 PM EDT
I am getting very close to buying a Bushmaster Varminter and I want to make sure I get the best scope I can afford.

I plan on shooting coyotes out to 300 meters.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The Bushnell Elite 4200 is the best scope under $500.  The 4-16x50 would serve you well.

Other good options would be the Nikon Monarch, Weaver Grand Slam or Leupold Vari-XIII.  I have heard that some Burris scopes are nice, but I have no experience with them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Weaver Grand Slam........awesome hunting scope.  Glass is better than VariXIII in my opinion.

YMMV.......but probably not.....[:D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have any suggestions where to but for the cheapest online?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had a Tasco 16X42mm on my Bushy Var. since 2001.   Rear A.O., turrets, 30mm.
Absolutely  no complains.   $299. most anywhere.  Originally made for the Navy Seal team.  If there was one neg. it's not a variable.  I have heard the side A.O. has had problems on some.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone have any suggestions where to but for the cheapest online?
View Quote

[url]www.swfa.com[/url] has good prices.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12x40.  Side by side with a Leupold VX-III, the Nikon glass seemed much better.  I paid $379 at Galyan's.  I know some people have their problems with Galyan's/Bass Pro because they don't sell ARs, but I wanted to go look at some scopes.  If I'm going to take their time, I'll usually buy from them.

Having said that, an on-line search turned up the same scope for $379 plus shipping at lots of places.  You might save a little on-line without having to pay tax.

FWIW, this scope is going on a RRA Varminter upper I've got on order.  Distance and use is almost identical to your requirements.  I think the Nikon will serve the purpose quite well.

You may also want to look at the Cabela's Alaskan scopes.  I here they are VERY nice for the money.  I just have a problem buying a scope without actually seeing one for myself.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top