Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2003 3:33:33 PM EDT
Am I going to be sorry if I buy one of these? Iam looking at the 10x42M version with the side parralax adjustment. The scope does have the features that interest me,but are they sturdy,durable optics. I've read the ad hype but would like to hear from anyone on the board who has given one a work out. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
DY,

I don't own one, but I've read up on them a lot, because I was interested in getting one.  I've seen more than a few reports here and on other boards of the reticle rotating after rounds go down range.  

I've also seen glowing reports.

I saw one at the range that had a bitched up windage knob.  The guy couldn't adjust his windage.  I don't know the whole story, I just knew I wasn't going to try to fix it.

Overall, I don't plan on getting one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 10X42 SS and love it I had it on my ar-10 with no problems or loss of zero and now its going to be on my poor mans SPR, I am very please with mine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 16x models (rear focus), and they have worked great for me.  One is on my .308 bolt gun, and the other is on my .458 SOCOM AR15.  I don't do any "real work" with them, just range time, but I have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok thanks guys for the responce. I think I will do a little more research on similar optics that are available.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've have mine  mounted on a Bushmaster Varminter with Luepold QD  30mm rings.   It's buit like a tank.  Target nobs are excellent.   Been a great middle of the road priced scope.  When I first bought mine it was claimed to be made for the Navy Seal Team by Tasco.  At that time suggested retain was $399.  Got mine on sale for  $299.  Now that is the regular price most every where.  The model I got has the A.O. on the eye piece.  Another model has a turret adjustment just to the left of the elevation turret.  More money  I'm sure.
42mm, and the only way I would get rid of it would be to trade up to variable 50mm Luepold.  Is it worth it for $300. more.  Don't think so. Tactical dots are excellent., and a tough scope to beat in my opinion for the money.  If you get one you'll like it, but maybe the 16X is a bit much.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:35:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had the 10 x 42 rear focus model on my AR for four years now & not experienced any problems at all.

Admittedly the rifle only generally gets an outing to the range once per month & I only fire in the region of 100 rounds per visit.
However, for a budget scope that isn't going to see any hard "field" use IMHO I don't really think you can go wrong.

I've occasionally wondered about getting a Leupold or even a Schmidt & Bender to replace it, but when it comes down to it, it'll cost me a lot of money & I don't think It'll make me shoot any better. So, the SS has stayed.

Regards.

John. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you again guys.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top