BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2003 7:33:32 PM EDT
If you could only have one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
In the end, if I HAD to choose between my Aimpoint and my TA31, Id pick the Aimpoint.  It serves the reasonable expections I have of my ARs and the range they'll be effective at.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting choice lumpy,not what I expected to hear. I have to make a choice between my aimpoint and my ta-31. Have medical bills to pay. Have to make rifle decisions too. It sucks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Well Mike, I factor in that MOST .223 loads wont create effective wounds past 200 yards, especially out of a carbine.  And, for most civilian and police users, engagement distances are likely to be measured in feet, not yards.

If I had to keep one gun, it'd be the carbine with an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd probably take the CQ/T [B)]

Hahaha, nah, c'mon, you all know my answer. I wouldnt disagree with a thing Lumpster said. But I still preffer the ability to use the gun even beyond where it may be useful, and appreciate the increased target ID ability the magnification gives me at all ranges (not just extended ranges).

When it comes down to having just one, I would try to pick the one that does very many (common and uncommon) things very well than one that does most (common) things very well. Especially when the one that does more gives up very little to the one that does less.

If cost is a factor, and it usually is, the Aimpoint in no way shape or form should be considered a step down. It isnt. Both are steps up from most other optics and all iron sights, but they are just steps up different stairways.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Get one yet? [naughty]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
TA-31 or in my case my TA-11. ACOG's just have so much more to offer you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting choice lumpy,not what I expected to hear. I have to make a choice between my aimpoint and my ta-31. Have medical bills to pay. Have to make rifle decisions too. It sucks.
View Quote

Since appears that you have to sell one of the two sights, the other questions to consider are:

Which will bring more (ACOG)
Which will be easier to replace (Aimpoint)
Which will be upgraded first (Aimpoint ?)
If you shoot over 200 yards, sell the Aimpoint.

Best of Luck
John

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:35:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the same position as far as being able to afford only one nice optic. That's why I spent about two years getting hands on with all of them as much as possible. I went with the TA-11 ACOG.

Having said that, I think Lumpy gave the best logical/playing the odds answer. Looking at OIF, Marines reported engagement ranges of 25-35yds being the most common, few shots past 100. The Army doctrine on MOUT says that fewer than 5% of engagements will take place past 50yds. For law enforcement and civilians, the distances are only going to get closer.

If finances are tight, you'll get more money out of selling the ACOG and with current demand chances are good you can sell it quick at a fair price.

Downside is that if ACOG prices continue to go up, you'll lose money on the resale and then pay more to buy a new one when finances rebound.

Its a tough choice. I think the Aimpoint is the best value; but I think the ACOG is the best GP optic of the two.

In any case, look at the bright side... at the rate technology is developing, ACOGs and Aimpoints both might well be old news by the time you are ready to buy again and you'll be ahead of the upgrade curve.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#10]
One of our friends has been down to just one sight for the last year and it is an Aimpoint, which is mounted on his M4.

Then again the friend has been in country since before the start of Gulf War II ... we just got a batch of photos to take a look at as if all goes well their unit should be home soon.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#11]
No doubt in my mind. The M68. Used by more troops than any other weapons sight available. Will hold up under any of the worst possible conditions you can subject it to.

3rd ID. Nothing more needs to be said.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Sell the ACOG and then buy the new SOPMOD 2 variable power optic when it comes out.  Fixed power ACOG prices will drop like a stone when that comes out since everyone will want the latest gadget.  Then you can sell your Aimpoint to help finance the new purchase when you can get a deal in the future.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Now does the SOPMOD 2 variable power optic come out before or after the Try-power?
-Sorry I just had to.[:)]

Ray
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now does the SOPMOD 2 variable power optic come out before or after the Try-power?
-Sorry I just had to.[:)]

Ray
View Quote

what about the SHRIKE uppers?

[:D]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#15]
For work inside 200 Yards....Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hokie agrees
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I think each one has it's merits and would serve you well as your only optic.  You need to consider what you are going to use it for.

The other consideration is how much cash you need.  Selling the ACOG will raise 2-3 times the amount the Aimpoint will bring.  From a pure financial perspective, sell the ACOG.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#18]
another vote for the aimpoint. this is assuming i will always be able to have batteries and obtain repairs if needed. most likely scenario.

now if i had to hit the dusty trail and not look back then i'd take a TA11 (donut). least likely scenario.

aimpoints are just plain wicked at 50 yards and less,IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#19]
if you only get to use one thing, i'd go for something unmagnified over something thats magnafied.

my reasoning: i personally think that if combat breaks out, itd be smarter to be prepared for up-close engagements than med-long range engadgements.  why?  well is someone whose 10yrds away more of a threat than someone who is 100-200 yard away?  i'd think so.

but i've never used an acog, and i'm not sure how well they go in CQB..(thats why i said 'unmagnified over magnified', rather than 'Aimpoint over ACOG'..)

but i'm not sure if you use your rifle like that.. and plus, you have more factors than just that in making your desicion (money)..
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hokie agrees
View Quote

[hail]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Aimpoint!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#22]
My vote...  Keep the Aimpoint.  It is much more effective at carbine ranges.  If you have to extend, you still have your BIS.  It's all about putting 'em in the black!
[sniper2]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/pbf92392f6e038524a5c9f3e8f84213b9/fafd7829.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had an ACOG and an Aimpoint.  I sold the ACOG.  Nice optic, but I was more accurate with irons and faster with the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#24]
101, is that an Airsoft copy of the Knights 300m BUIS?  It looks like it has a knob instead of a flat head screw.

Fine looking carbine btw.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Lumpy, yeah busted!  I put it on there till I can scrape up the jack for a KAC.  Then it will be on Ebay!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I have one of each. The TA31 is my choice. Just as fast and usefull inside 100 yards, (if you know how to use it), and much more usefull beyond. Plus, its a work of optics art in itself.  [8d]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Well... I'd say if you don't have either and shopping for first optic go for Aimpoint. It has more practical defense purposes than TA31. But IMHO, I think you can get more mileage with TA31 in the end.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I just got done reading the Armys " Iraq - After Action Report". It stated that the the vast majority of engagements took place at under 35 meters. I'll keep my Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hokie agrees
View Quote

Rodger that. I used both and for under 200yds/fast aquisition, the Aimpoint stays....

However this may be coming from the subconcious of someone who is too broke to get a TA31....than again maybe not!
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm sure the choice could come down to how well someone sees also. If your going to be shooting a person under 100 yards you might make one decision but targets at 200 is a different story. If you have some near siteness magnification is great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:05:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just got done reading the Armys " Iraq - After Action Report". It stated that the the vast majority of engagements took place at under 35 meters. I'll keep my Aimpoint.
View Quote

If you think that magnification is only useful for targets out at greater distances, you should read the Marine Corps report of the TA31's. Those who didnt have them wanted them, and were relying on info from thos who did. Without the magnification of the TA31, folks were going to binoculars to see who was hostile, who had weapons etc, the dropping the binoculars, then shouldering the rifle, then engaging. Those with TA31's simply looked through the ACOG and ruined those folks days who needed to be ruined.

Again, this is not to say Aimpionts arent great, they are. But dont get sucked into the belief that magnification is only useful for longer ranges. It is useful for close in as well. I have seen this for the lastcouple years shooting FDCC matches where people with ACOGs were shooting at targets they plainly saw were hostile, while people without magnification were struggling to see what they should shoot and what they should not. I always figured this would have some real world value, and the marine corp report corraborated that belief 100%.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#32]
for a carbine the aimpoint comp m2 is the way to go, battery life is unbeleivable. my comp m2 has been left on for over a year now on the same battery. on 8 clicks, get the double battery holder. one of my greatest concerns before buying the aimpoint was battery life span
with their cet technology that is not a problem.
i dont use my m4 copy for long range targets, its the best for cqb. if ya wanna shoot longer ranges with effective stopping power and accuracy get a m1a with a high power scope. just my opinion.
            meat
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Since you're looking to pay bills with the proceeds, I have to recommend selling the ACOG: the market's hot right now, as others have noted.

If it were me, it would be like the old Jack Benny routine:

[u]Robber[/u]: Your ACOG or your life!

[u]Me[/u]: [long silence]

[u]Robber[/u]: [b][i]WELL?![/i][/b]

[u]Me[/u]: I'm thinking, I'm thinking!!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top