Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 10:23:01 PM EDT
What are your opinions on the Bushmaster detachable flip front sight?  I am thinking of using it in w/ a Arms #40 rear.  Will the heights be compatible?  They have the lock up feature which I like and seems to be lacking w/ the others.  They seem to be a pretty good product for the money.

I am thinking about matching it up with an Arms #40 on a SWD M-11/9 SMG.    Anything will be better than the stock sights which are unusable as I have a AR stock bracket w/ a collapsable stock.  I already have a MPA sidecocker upper w/ a Tasco propoint sight.  I figure I can mount a two peice weaver rail in front & behind existing scope mount.  I think it'll be better (or at least more original) than the 'clone' HK uppers that everyone else has.

Any advice or comments are appriciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm also looking for comments on this sight, and Bushmaster's flip-up rear sight too.

Thanks..
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never liked any of the Bushmaster "BMAS" accessories.  In every instance I've bought them, they haven't been of the quality or as functional as a similar product from another company.  They tend to be heavier, chunkier, blockier, and usually, purple.

Specifically regarding the REAR sight, spend literally a few more dollars and get the ARMS #40.

BUT having said that, I must add that 1) I have absolutely NO direct experience with the BMAS Detachable Front Sight, and 2) it seems to be the exception to the rule...  The DFS is very well liked here and elsewhere.  Were I in the market for an inexpensive detachable front sight, I would give it a try.

The "lining up issue" IMHO is overstated (.040"???).  If you can't get the rifle to ZERO, Bushmaster sells the taller front sight post which will fit in the DFS.  Heck, just add it to your order with the DFS, and if you don't need it, sell or trade it in the Equipment Exchange forum.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
MY BM DFS works great but is purple or at least it is not ar15 black and it appears that it would break much easier than a standard frt sight base.
As for the color i painted it with black gas grill spraycan and it looks good.
Hint: tape up the sight post.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a PRI flip up front sight.  I love it.  The sight picture alone is worth the price and I would buy a fixed version if they sold one fto replace my fixed sights.  The flip sight locks up or down and is made to where it will give and fold down if hit REALLY hard instead of just break.  I tried to make mine fold down but I was hitting it so hard I gave up lest I mar the finish.  Its BLACK too not purple.  They are supposed to be releasing a new version that fits on railed gas blocks soon from what I hear.  I have the 4 set screw version.  I love it obviosly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm using the BMAS Flip of front sight on the 3 rail gas block and an ARMS #40 in the back and it works great.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#7]
For BuddyLee,
I just bought the Bushy flip up detach. rear site from someone on the EE for cheap. And although it may not be as 'attractive' as the Arms #40, it seems well built to me and very sturdy. Locks into placed solidly, and push of a button, it's down. And it cowitnesses fine for my setup. Unless you're buying used though, I'd spend the extra $25 over the Bushy and get the Arms #40. It's pretty popular around here, and gets high marks from almost everyone. J
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#8]
My BM flip-up rear sight seems to work pretty good on my 16" flattop.  I'm not in competition, and for the most part it acts as a BUIS anyway.  I zeroed it to my Eotech 551 and can place a shot within an inch of the intended target.  Like I said, I'm not in competition.  If I can take out a beer can at 50 yards I'm a hero (my fans are not that sophisticated).
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Devl,
What's a PRI and where do you get it?

Do you have any pic's?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#10]
PRI is the one chosen by the spec ops for he SPR's, also the #40. Many 22M68 rings for the top rail over the 10X Leupold for close in situations.
An ARMS 22M68 ring can only come apart if someone didn't tighten the bottom screws, or maybe loosened them?
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey, I by accident have a jet black PRI front sight. It's just the upper portion. What happened is, I shot it last week and got a little wet. I dried it off and gave it a shot of V80 inhibitor spray(brownell's) I pulled it out of the safe and it had turned the sight jet black. Pretty cool.

I haven't tried it, but heard that different oils will turn anodized parts colors. I somewhat remember that when I got my Mounting Solutions scope rings, they mentioned this. I think it was Quaker State 30W will give a greenish tint, transmission fluid, reddish.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone besides bushmaster make a weaver rail type front site?  I find it hard to believe that bushmaster is the only one.

Dawg
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top