Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/18/2003 5:23:24 PM EDT
How well does the BAC work if you are right-handed and left eye dominant?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:38:23 PM EDT
From what I hear, not too good. But I have no expreience with this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:41:55 PM EDT
I can't take advantage of the Aimpoints in this regard either. I have to find the target with my left eye and then switch to my right eye through the Aimpoint. It works fine, but I don't get the occluded effect where the dot is superimposed on the target.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:20:38 AM EDT
I was that kind of people. I trained and changed myself to be right eye dominant. It took time but worked. First, I tried to aim with my left eye closed. In this case, you are forced to use your right eye. I did it every time and gradually I was used to see in that way. Then I learned to have both eyes open. That is more difficult because your brain has to forget the "image" you used to see from your left eye and pick up the image from your right eye. In the very begining, my brain got confused a couple of times. Through the constant practice, you will learn to do that easily. don't worry, it is a lot of fun when I am doing that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:32:14 AM EDT
If you dig through the board archives there are at least two reports of people who are cross-dominant (dominant left eye and right-handed for example) who had trouble using BAC. I know when I use the ACOG on my weak side, it takes a lot longer for my brain to "switch". It is like it wants to use the dominant eye view even though the weak eye has a better view with the magnification. I think you can probably train your brain to deal with it; but it may add more frustration to the process than many people are willing to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:11:25 AM EDT
For whatever it's worth, I am left eyed and shoot right handed. I have a Bushnell HoloSight on my AR and have no trouble at all. I keep both eyes open and it is really wonderful to be able to do that after so many years of squinching my "good" eye closed. Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:08:30 PM EDT
I already shoot scopes, irons, and red dots with both eyes open so maybe this will work for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:19:42 AM EDT
You can also try shooting left-handed. I'm technically right-handed but left eye dominant, so I shoot rifle in the "sinister style". Works great for me. YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:20:00 PM EDT
Find one you can shoulder and try. I'm right handed but left eye dominant as well. I have an Aimpoint on my AR and it works very well, I've also shouldered a Compact ACOG (at a gunshow) and was able to use it as well. I can't for the life of me shoot both eyes open with a pistol without tilting my head so my left eye is aligned with the sights, but this doesn't bother me at all with the aimpoint. Depends on the person. Find one you can try and see if it works for you. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:30:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JRussell: Find one you can shoulder and try. I'm right handed but left eye dominant as well. I have an Aimpoint on my AR and it works very well, I've also shouldered a Compact ACOG (at a gunshow) and was able to use it as well. I can't for the life of me shoot both eyes open with a pistol without tilting my head so my left eye is aligned with the sights, but this doesn't bother me at all with the aimpoint. Depends on the person. Find one you can try and see if it works for you. Good luck.
View Quote
Aimpoints work ok for me if I have them in the right position on the rifle. I tried an ACOG TA-11 this weekend and I think that will definitely work for me. BTW, I shoot pistols with both eyes open, but sighting with my left eye. I don't turn my head however, I just turn the pistol.
Top Top