Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/16/2003 12:15:10 PM EDT
I knew this for a long time, and DUH it makes sense since its smaller and makes for a finer sight picture.

Even at close range though, down and dirty fast shooting, I shoot the smaller A1 aperture so much better than the large A2 Ghost Ring.

It didnt slow me down appreciably....both eyes open and let it fade like a ghost ring.

Anyone else notice this?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:33:26 PM EDT
I have now changed my two A2 uppers for A1/C7 uppers, and I've changed my A3 carry handles and ARMS "fowty" to A1 aperature's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:13:25 PM EDT
Lumpy (or anyone else): Is the A1 aperture a same plane design? If not, what is the difference in zeros b/w the large and small apertures? I guess not, but it's easier than having custom apertures made.... Thanks, Corey
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:21:37 PM EDT
I am interested too, especially how you "ghost" with that small a hole. Can everyone do this or is it like BAC. I am guessing that it is a more rare ability than BAC. I thought A1 sights were compensated for the windage movement on the screw. They also have the elevation shift, although I forget right now what it is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:51:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Corey: Lumpy (or anyone else): Is the A1 aperture a same plane design? If not, what is the difference in zeros b/w the large and small apertures?
View Quote
They are not on the same plane. Use the "L" aprerture to zero at 25 yards. With this setting, the "L" aperture has a far zero of 375 yards and the other one has a far zero of 250 yards. As far as windage, each click changes the point of impact by 0.7cm (17/64 in) for every 25 meters of range.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:57:37 PM EDT
Im am using the Express Same Plane aperature. Whisper, it works the same as using the large A2. Blur the rear out in your vision and focus on the front. Your eyes can only focus at one point at a time anyway, the only difference is there is less light showing than with the A2.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:33:06 PM EDT
Lumpy: I'm using the Ashley/XS same plane rear ap's as well. IMHO I'd prefer the smaller apertures of the standard A2 sights. (I've already installed a Bushmaster NM from sight on my 16" carbine which closely replicates a 20" front sight post for more precision.) Are you talking about using the small aperture on an Ashley/XS rear or the small aperture on an A1? I thought you were talking about the A1 but them you mention the Ashley/XS. BTW, I'm out for the night so I'll reply tomorrow. Corey
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:36:19 PM EDT
I prefer the smaller of the two aperatures of the Express sight, and the primary aperature of the A1, which is smaller than the A2.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:40:51 PM EDT
I've always preferred the A1 aperture. I put an XS same-plane aperture in my LMT, but I went one better: I permanently installed a merchant target aperture insert into the large aperture, so now I have an A1 sized primary aperture plus a REAL small (.040 inch, approximately) target aperture, both on the same plane.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:53:31 AM EDT
I find the larger aperture much easier to use, especially on the XS. I think the lack of light coming through the smaller apertures causes eyestrain. Plus, there's no worries about lining up front and rear with a .230" ring -- as long as your head is within two counties of the rear sight, you're good to go. Research seems to indicate that a larger aperture is not a significant impediment to accuracy, at least for field shooting at moderate ranges. jafager
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:27:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Zardoz: I've always preferred the A1 aperture. I put an XS same-plane aperture in my LMT, but I went one better: I permanently installed a merchant target aperture insert into the large aperture, so now I have an A1 sized primary aperture plus a REAL small (.040 inch, approximately) target aperture, both on the same plane.
View Quote
Please expand on this. Where did you get the insert, what size, and how did you install it permanently? Also, I thought the small aperture on the XS was bigger than the A2 long range aperture. Frankly, I'm more comfortable with the big aperture on the XS system as it's primarily for fast and tight work. I'd like to clean up the small aperture. I'm not crazy about the bezeled small aperture as it always seems to catch some light on the bottom and appear as an oval. Is it possible to tighten that up with an insert and leave the large one as is?? I think this is a good discussion as I had been contemplating having Derrick at Accuracy Speaks make me a few custom apertures. A1 sized apertures on a same plane, which would be the best of both worlds IMHO. He said that he could do it for $35. Does anyone have the measurements for the A1 apertures? I have the numbers at home for the XS and A2, but not the A1's. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:37:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Corey:
Originally Posted By Zardoz: I've always preferred the A1 aperture. I put an XS same-plane aperture in my LMT, but I went one better: I permanently installed a merchant target aperture insert into the large aperture, so now I have an A1 sized primary aperture plus a REAL small (.040 inch, approximately) target aperture, both on the same plane.
View Quote
Please expand on this. Where did you get the insert, what size, and how did you install it permanently?
View Quote
I got the insert as part of a 3-piece set from brownells. They fit into the large aperture of an A2 sight, and are secured by a small rubber o-ring to make them quickly removeable. I cut mine down to make it fit completely into the large aperture on the XS with nothing sticking out the front, and secured it with JB weld (one of mankinds' greatest inventions, btw). I used the largest of the 3 that come in the set. The XS large aperture is slightly larger than the A2 large aperture, so getting the insert concentric was a little tricky, but a little help from a caliper solved that problem. Here's a link to the Merchant sight insert set. They make it a HELL of a lot easier to zero your rifle. [url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8760[/url]
Top Top