Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2003 8:06:24 AM EDT
I’ve read a hundred reviews and several thousands opinions on optics over the past year and now that I finally purchased one it’s my turn to voice my experience and opinion!

Let me start off by saying that my experience with optics and AR-15s in general is limited.  I lack the professional experience that most members have on this board.  I’ve never used an AR outside of my local range and I have no formal military or police experience.  Even though I’ve owned ARs since 1997, I rarely get to shoot because work, family and additional hobbies keep me plenty busy.  At best I consider myself an amateur at worst an enthusiast.  Therefore, my review will be geared to those members more like me.  I’m sure some of the experts will probably disagree with some of my points and opinions but since I’m an amateur I can afford to be wrong

With all that said, I decided on the EOTech 551 Rev E.  It fits my needs better than any other optic.  
Pros:
Smaller Size – I haven’t decided on which hand guard system to get so the smaller size allows me to use my ARMS#40 BUIS and M4 hand guards while still being able to mount the EOTech fairly far forward on my upper.
New Style Controls - I liked the new style of controls, like on the 552, and the Rev E 551 has them too.  I’ll probably never use NV but I was not impressed with the old style of controls.  The large buttons are much easier to operate and much more durable.
Local ARFCOM Dealer - C4iGrant, lives in my area!  I thought it would be best to support an ARFCOM dealer and he only lives about 30 minutes from my house!  I realize this may not be the case for everyone but it just happens to work out for those of us in southeast Virginia.  Even if you don't live in the area he's still a great guy to deal with.  Great prices and great customer service.
Cons:
Battery Life/Availability - A lot of people don’t like the 551 because of the battery life/availability issue.  I’ve found the batteries at my local Walgreen’s, camera shop, Home Depot and grocery store.  Besides those places, C4iGrant sells them for a $1.00!  I can easily afford to throw a few extra batteries in my rifle case or range bag.  70 hours is more than enough for my once or twice a month trip to the range.  And if the SHTF (God forbid) I’ll have a few extras in the range bag with my ammo and magazines I won’t have to worry about finding a walkman or radio to steal them from.
Long Distance Shooting – The EOTech does not have any magnification but since I hardly ever shoot further than 50 yards this doesn’t really pertain to me.  All of the public indoor ranges around here are 25 yards and the largest, continuous space inside my house probably isn’t more than 25 - 30 feet so I don’t really need a scope.  Even if I had to use it outside, in my neighborhood, I wouldn’t be taking a shot further than 35 yards with all the houses, trees, fences and landscaping I think 35 yards is being generous.  I did sight it in at 50 yards and I was actually better using my EOTech than I am with iron sights!  I found it very easy to put the center dot right on the target at 50 yards and my groups made my iron sight groups look like I had too much coffee.
Keeping Both Eyes Open – I was worried that it would take me some time getting used to keeping both eyes open.  This was not the case because right from the first shot I kept both eyes open and it was no problem at all.  I didn’t even have to think about it!

Some additional points:
1. C4iGrant also sells Aimpoint and Trijicon so I could have chosen any one but for my situation and my needs I felt the EOTech was the best optic and best value.
2. I used my buddies Aimpoint but I liked the reticle pattern and smaller size of the EOTech better.
3. I’ve only used a Trijicon once when some gentleman was kick enough to let me use his for a few rounds.  As stated before, I didn’t feel I needed the magnification for the distances that this rifle would be used for.  However, I will buy one, maybe the TA01, for my 20-inch project.

I apologize if this little review isn’t as technical as some of the others but like I said, I’m not an expert so you’ll have to bear with me.  I hope this helps some other members that may be undecided.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I can consistently hit a torso size steel target at 300 yards with the first shot even at low light condition.  the 1 MOA is small enough to use it to take the aim and the 65 MOA circle would bracket the entire torso.  

Nice review, job well done.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget your ARMS #40 [:D]
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=57457&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/057457.gif[/img][/url]

Joe
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
ok, I missed the the first part under Pros.

Sorry

Joe
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top