Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2003 5:55:27 PM EDT
I would like to find info on the differences between the various Leupold models.  I know basics but dont know the advantages of the different models (Vari X I vs III vs M3 vs M1 ect).  Can someone fill me in or direct me to an old thread?  Sorry if this is an old question.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
go to the Loopy website!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Their site appears to be out of commision.  I guess I shall try later.........
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
M1 = 1/4MOA elevation adjustments, M3 = 1MOA elevation adjustments, Mk4 = Fixed power long range models, LR = long range (side adjustable paralax) AO = adjustable objective.

That's all I can think of right now [:)] What kind of scope and for what applications were you thinking of?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I am looking for a scope for my AR and possibly to mount on my FAL from time to time.  Mainly range work out to 150yrds.  I may do a bit of deer hunting with it as well.  Looking for a variable power scope with good performance.  I really like what I have read and heard about the Leupold line but don't want to spend more than I need to.  Just wondering about the differences in the I, II, and III models.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
VarX II have less horz and vert adjustment, plus for the time period typically had less coating on the lens.  For many years the VarX III were the top of the line sporting scopes (now this is the LPS).  For the money I would pick up a low usage VarX III in 2.5 to 8 or or lower power, however, most end up with something more like the 3.5 to 10 (or even higher power).

If you can fit it on (short tube) the 1 3/4 by 6 VarX III makes an iteresting choice for a scope, either Deer hunting or tatical.  Plus if you can get is zeroed the VarX II in 2 to 7 is a nice general purpose scope (have on several 22 LRs).

The M3 can do all the adjustment in one turn of the dia for range, liked by one friend who does rife shooting for a living (which one friend does and currently has sand in his boots).

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#6]

[url]http://www.leupold.com/products/Scope_Feature_Matrix.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#7]
From what youve said so far
I would think the 1.5X5 with the 30 mm tube duplex/ illuminated reticle would do nicely..
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all who have responded thus far.  Nice link bsbg, very informative.  I have an aimpoint ml2 already so, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I need more magnification than 1.5X5 for my hole punching needs?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I own several Leupolds and really can't find any complaints, with one exception: I bought a varmint scope from a friend with the intention of putting it on my coyote gun. However it has the target dot reticle which is awesome at the range but worthless on dark targets in bad light. My fault surely not the scopes but it was too good of a deal to pass up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:02:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
....  I have an aimpoint ml2 already so, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I need more magnification than 1.5X5 for my hole punching needs?
View Quote

Depends...

The 1.5- 5 is a great field scope, very fast at 1.5 and enough magnification for hits on fairly small targets at 5x at reasonable ranges.  This scope was highly recommended for the AR by Ken Hackathorn a few years ago.

For range and bench work, you might want a bit more power - like 3.5-10.  Look at the "standard" 3.5-10x Tactical as a good starting point.  They also make a Vari X II 3-9 Tactical that is pretty reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#11]
There are several scopes that might fit your shooting needs vs price range
My personal favorites are
6X42 matte 1 inch tube- M8
1.5X5 matte illum 30mm tube- Vari X III
3.5X10X40 LR 30mm tubes- Vari X III
There are several scopes that might meet your critera

[url]http://www.leupold.com/products/scopes.asp[/url]

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top