Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 5:37:15 PM EDT
Has anyone field tested the PRI BUIS with the four set screws?

I know the bolt thru PRI BUIS has been around awhile.  I just don't know if I like the idea of removing barrel material to install the BUIS?!

So, the option is a version with setscrews.  Need input ready to purchase after receiving alittle advice and wisdom.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I put a cross bolt modle on my rifle.  5 minutes with a dremal and I was done.  If your barrel is drilled for taper pins the set screws may half assed hit the holes and bind or not tighten up at all.  

I did hear that new cross bolt modles were going to have lower bolts that were going to requier less barrel cutting, but I can not confirm this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
inkaybee is correct - i installed the new clamp style (thru bolts) PRI flip-up front last week.  the new clamp style has the thru-bolts lower than the older clamp style, and they do not go thru or contact the barrel at the taper pin holes.  no modification is done to the barrel.  it slips on and clamps on - that's it.  i'd most definitely go with the new clamp style instead of the set screw one.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I did the install on the old clap model and I was shocked at how much barrel I had to remove to get it mounted.  (It worked fine but I didn't like knowing my barrel necked down to smaller than BUSHY pencil barrel at one point.)

I made my new one a Set Screw model and I am using a DISSIPATOR gas settup so this is just a sight post.  I am very glad I bout one that does not require me to do that to my barrel.  The setscrews should work fine (at least 2 will totally line up with the holes and the other 2 will just furthersecure it.)

Who cares how tuff the front post is if the barrel blows out in sustained suppressed fire. (not saying it would but I didn't like haveing that thought in the back of my mind.)
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#5]
i forgot to mention that i got mine from C4 above [:)] thanks grant!
just my .02 here - the reasons for my going with the cross bolt style instead of the set screw was better gas sealing (since the cross bolts tighten the whole ring onto the barrel, whereas the set screws push against the barrel at the bottom, pushing the ring out instead of in - not a concern if used as just a sight like green0), security (full surface area contact), and no marring of the barrel by set screws.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, for all of the input guys.  I was quite unsure how to proceed.  I felt that the thru bolts would be more secure yet I wasn't sure I liked the idea of removing barrel material.  I truly appreicate your help in pointing me in the right direction.  C4, you have the new clamp on style in stock?  What's the damages and where do I send the Postal Money Order?  This money is burning a hole in my pocket!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top