Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/26/2003 4:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2003 10:42:20 AM EDT by LarryLove]
Gentlemen, please advise...

You can't see the A2 front sight tower in your scope, but what about reflected sunlight off the tower itself?

I have a SS10X42 in an Armalite one-piece mounted directly to the flat top. I've shot this setup twice, once on a cloudy day, once on a very bright sunny day.

On the sunny day, there was definitely a white 'ghosting' effect visible in about 60% of the picture.

Reflected sunlight off the sight tower was my best guess at the source. What say you men? Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:42:41 AM EDT
Anyone? Someone help me out here...
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:26:09 PM EDT
I only use my scope to test barrel condition periodically, so I am not the best person to comment. But hell, no one else seems to want to take the time.... Come'on guys, help Larry some. When I first got my scope and mounted it on the same Armalite one piece mount, I played around with it to see how visble the post could be. If I look very hard, I can see a fron sight ghost all the time. But, under normal coniditions, the post is invisible with normal viewing. I did notice that glare from my post (shinig with CLP) in strong sunlight did cause a bit more of ghosting, but it was easly ignored and did not pose a problem.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:42:43 AM EDT
I missed this thread yeasterday. Anyway, yes, it most certainly can reflect light into the objective lens. As can handguards, barrel, bench, water, walls, etc. A sun shade might help this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:35:28 AM EDT
Paint the front sight tower flat black (NON GLARE) and don't oil it. you shouldn't be seeing that in a 10X I see it slightly in my ACOG on dimmer days but in my experience the higher the magnification the less you see. Or you could get a folding post or simply dremel your post off and gring it round like a V Match gas block (which is just that done at BUSHY.)
Top Top