Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2003 5:44:06 PM EDT
Hi all!  Does anyone have pictures of the KAC flip front sight that mounts on the front of your RAS?  If you've got optics mounted, so much the better.  I'm trying to get an idea how much room they take up on the forward end.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an ELCAN mounted on it now, I'm gonna sell it and get a TA31 soon, also going to replace the gas block with a KAC one.
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/p4533b847de69dba4c0f5f853ed0f274f/fb477fb1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:23:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi Duffy!  How's that work for you?  Also, what's prompting you to change gas blocks?  I'm considering this front sight so that I don't have to change my gas block from the teardrop to a picatinny or front sight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Techbrute, I spoke too soon...I think the KAC gas block won't work for me because I have an M5 RAS, I might need a version that can hold the front handguard cap in place, KAC's block is shorter, when used with a FF version the rifle does away with the front cap altogether so it's not an issue there...I'll ask Wes at [url]www.mstn.biz[/url]
I haven't tried the KAC front sight yet, all of my backup iron sights are on other rifles, my first impression was that it's a bit shorter than the standard front sight tower, maybe it's because it's mounted toward the rear its height is equivalent.  Its simplicity belies its elegance, it doesn't have a locking mechanism so if you bump into something it will fold back down.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, Duff...

I seriously wonder about KAC and GGG sometimes.  They want to be these high-end tactical suppliers, but it's like they don't make a design that can be used under harsh conditions.  Yeah, they make everything out of solid billet blah blah blah, but the @#$%@^$ front sight won't stay up if you bump it.  Same with the GGG front flip.  It has ball detents, but won't lock into place.

My dream front sight goes on a picatinny rail for easy swapping, and has a hinge like the ARMS #40.  Spring loaded upward and locked in the lower position.  a flick of the lever pops it up, and the spring lets it take a hit and return to zero.  Probably too much to ask for.

ARMS, KAC, GGG, PRI... Are you listening??? [soapbox]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]
KAC is making a spring loaded folding front sight that locks in the up or down position.  Its not rail mounted though and there is concern the heat in that area will cause the spring to lose its strength over time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Good for KAC.  I'm glad someone's at least thinking along the same lines as me.

If it was rail mounted, swapping it out once the spring dies wouldn't be much of an issue.  It would seem to me that the heat generated around the gas block would take an awful long time to affect high quality springs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Speaking of rail mounted front sights, do you see much deflection with that when benching it or shooting from a sling, Duffy?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Bart, I have no idea, but I'd assume there'll be differences in POI if I pull the sling hard enough, because my RAS isn't FF.  Perhaps less than if the sling was on the barrel itself, since now it's pulling on the RAS which in turn pulls on the barrel....Ok now I'm just talking out of my ass [buttkick]  Maybe Wes, coldblue or someone with actual experience can shed some light on this for us [img]www.falfiles.com/forums/confused.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Same with the GGG front flip.  It has ball detents, but won't lock into place.
View Quote

For some time now the GG&G front flip has a locking feature, springloaded pin, profiled so a damaging hit just folds the sight rather than break it, and probably won't even break the locking feature...Now if they would incorporate that feature into the rail flip front (and they may already have)
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:48:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Shameless Plug:
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3624165578&category=36258&rd=1[/url]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#11]
That IS shameless.

IBTL
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I know ya'll are on the topic of front sights but what about the rear flip up sights. I was checking out GG&G's mad sight, it seemed to be pretty good, but would the zero be the same as the standard A2 rear sight?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#13]
They're supposed to be used in conjunction with the standard A2 front sight, so yes.  Of course unless you have one of POF's handguards (remember, it's $150 less than ARMS [;)])...in that case your guess is as good as any.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a new product from Les Baer.  It looks like just the ticket I was looking for.  It's a little pricey, but hey, it's only money.

[img]http://www.lesbaer.com/images/sightRF.jpg[/img]

There's a better picture in the current issue of Guns magazine.  The Les Baer Thunder Ranch AR is on the cover.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Gas Block And Fold Down Front Sight Are State-Of-The-Art • Front Sight Folds Back And Locks In; By Pushing The Release Pin On the Side Of The Sight, The Spring-Loaded Front Sight Springs Up Into Place • Front Sight Also Folds Down Towards The Rear And Locks Into Place If You Choose To Mount A Scope Or Other Optic On The Flattop Upper, Thereby removing The Front Sight From Your Field Of View • Front Sight Includes A Bright Tritium Insert From Trijicon For Highest Visibility In Low Light Conditions •
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#16]
What about the one that Bushmaster makes & sells?

I've got one of their 3-rail gas blocks on my AR and was considering getting one...
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw one of the Bushmaster ones at a gunshow (on a Bushmaster, go figure) and the latching systems seemed a little cheesey and flimsy to me.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#18]
The Les Baer sight looks like [img]pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/bunny.gif[/img] ears.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Les Baer sight looks like [url]pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/bunny.gif[/url] ears.
View Quote

Hehe... yeah, they aren't the most asthetically pleasing thing, but they get bonus points for tritium.[bow]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Hehe... yeah, they aren't the most asthetically pleasing thing, but they get bonus points for tritium.
View Quote

FWIW, the Baer sight lists for $185, and the site mentions in a couple of different places that tritium is [b]not[/b] included (unless you buy the complete TR rifle).

jafager
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#21]
for what... $2800?

No thanks. I can build one for a lot cheaper than that. Oh wait... I already have! [snoopy]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
for what... $2800?

No thanks. I can build one for a lot cheaper than that. Oh wait... I already have! [snoopy]
View Quote

Generally, when Les Baer builds something, "cheap" isn't what he's shooting for.  For "cheap", you need to look elsewhere.

Also, if you can build one as well as he can, you may seriously want to consider a career in gunsmithing. [hail2]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top