Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2003 11:37:37 AM EDT
I've been seeing a lot of these little things atop various scopes in some really neat mounts. I was thinking of getting one also until I saw the price. After picking my jaw up off the floor I checked again...yep, $280+ for this thing!? What really floored me was the "LE/military model" for - get this - $700!!! Someone tell me that's just price gouging and they're really a lot cheaper. If they aren't, I think I'll just get the Aimpoint Comp M2.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
That is what they cost and they are worth every penny.  Mine sits on top of my TA01nsn I use it more than the ACOG.  It is bright and clear and the batteries last forever.  It is ruggeg.  I have leaned rifle against the wall or my pickup and had it fall over several times.  I dinged the hood over the lens but the sight still functions great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats the average battery life of the Dr Optics? Jeez, I have one of these and I dont even know!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you mount it on the NSN ? And can you mount it in any other ACOGS ?

Who sells the mounts?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
NewArGuy- Docter Optics is claiming 5 or 6 years with the hood left on.  I never use the hood and I changed mine after a yearbut could not tell any difference after installing the battery.

ColtM4 - [url]specwargear[/url] sells the NSN mount. It is the only available acog mount.  However I have seen some very inventive mounts made by members.  One guy used a shotgun mount and mounted it to the hood (the shade over the objective lens) of his ACOG.  Another member (GJ I think) made and sold a clamp mount that should work on all the full sized acogs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That is what they cost and they are worth every penny.
View Quote

I second that.
The LE/MIL version is submersible too.
PP out
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:11:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 5 Docter Sights. I've had the same battery in one for about a year and a half with no degradation.
Docter bought out some old Zeiss plants and that is where they are made.  We all know the prices and quality of items from Germany.
They are definitely worth it.
I spoke to Docter Optics about the Military/LE model. They told me that there are just 2 differences:
1. A rubber gasket that goes at the bottom of the sight between the optic and the mount
2. A lens that covers the hole where the beam is projected from.
That said, even the NON-LE version can be submerged, but it just has to be shaken dry and it will function fine.
BTW, I make custom Docter Mounts for Uzi's.
[img]http://home.cfl.rr.com/c3stuff/uzi/mini/mini_3lug.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I spoke to Docter Optics about the Military/LE model. They told me that there are just 2 differences:
1. A rubber gasket that goes at the bottom of the sight between the optic and the mount
View Quote

You have stated this many times but I am pretty shure there is more to it than just what you stated above.  The standard modle uses set screws through the sight body to adjust the LED projector.  On the LE version there are no set screws and holes in the sight body.  Instead the sight Has two seperate sealed parts -- One being a lens/battery housing -- the other holding the LED projector.  To adjust the sight the whole LED housing moves not just the led within the body.  

The only reason I point this out is because it looks to me that the LE version may actually be more fragile and it most certainly has a taller profile.  Both of these traits seem to make it less desirable for mounting on an acog.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
how do the doc optic compare to the eotech?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have stated this many times but I am pretty shure there is more to it than just what you stated above.  The standard modle uses set screws through the sight body to adjust the LED projector.  On the LE version there are no set screws and holes in the sight body.  Instead the sight Has two seperate sealed parts -- One being a lens/battery housing -- the other holding the LED projector.  To adjust the sight the whole LED housing moves not just the led within the body.  

The only reason I point this out is because it looks to me that the LE version may actually be more fragile and it most certainly has a taller profile.  Both of these traits seem to make it less desirable for mounting on an acog.
View Quote

I have never personally seen the LE/Military model.  What I stated above was told to me by the Docter Optics rep at the NRA Show in Orlando a few months ago.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow. That is a really small dot sight. Is it anywhere near as fast as an Aimpoint or Eotech?

I do like how small it is. As others have said, a sight should become part of the rifle, not something you handg off it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]
For reference, here is the link to the Doctor

[url]http://www.docteropticsusa.com/doctersight/index.html[/url]

and

[url]http://www.botachtactical.com/docrefreddot.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
What Dot size does everyone use on top of the TA01 NSN ... could make a case for the 7.5 MOA as is a close range only ...

Thanks, however, going to have to get more M16 uppers just to fit all the optics on [:)]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone make a mount to fit these onto a regular TA01? I don't have a NSN.

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Another member (GJ) made a few mounts for the TA01.  Sometimes you will see Duffy post a picture of one he bought from GJ.  Another menber poasted a nice how too about how to make a mount.  H4e used a Docter shot gun mount and attached it to the objective shade of his TA01.  However I am not aware of any commercialy available TA01 mounts.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top