Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2003 9:25:58 AM EDT
Did a search, found nothing so this topic must never have been discuss, or it is 32 days since thread was last discussed . In either case would appreciate any comments or info on experences with the SWAN rail.

Looking at possible using SWAN rail on two M16 uppers, one is a M4 with an Aimpoint and second is a HBAR which can't decide if it is going with the Leaupold tatical or an ACOG most of the time.

Anyone with photos of a nice setup of BUIS and the Leupold tatical scopes would also be appreicated.

SWAN Rail Postive Items

• Possible to extend the rail foward with the extension SWAN rails (except on M4 due to handard guards)

• Allows an uniform surface to mount everything, however, one would expect the Colt A3/M4 uppers should work well engough

• SWAN Rail Negative
  • Does not work with cantaliver spacer

• Extend rail does not work with M4 hand guards
  • Screws on rail can loosen (unless locktighted)

• Cost a few dollars more (minor point)

• Can't be used with co-witness Eotech

• In the way of night vision

• Can't swtich to Knights 600m folding sigh on HBAR

• An the most important negative is that the friend who's farm I shoot on already has one on his M16A2 (w/ M4 flattop, thus M16A2/M4A3 - edited to add comment) ... thus no points for being first one on the block

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a big fan of the #40, if you want to mount the reddotrd, you have the ARMS #22/M68 with the cantilever spacer. the swan sleeve is great for long range optic which need extra rail space then the rail available on the flat top upper.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey John,

How's it going?

I used to have a Swan sleeve (#38-EX) on my AR when I had my Leupold Vari-X III on that rifle. I still had to use ARMS #22 High rings to get the scope up high enough to just barely clear the flip-up sight.

I would say if you're going to mount the Leupold, the Swan sleeve "almost" a necessity. If want to use any other optic (e.g. an ACOG), I would have to stay don't bother with the Swan Sleeve. If you mount an Aimpoint, you can use the cantilever spacer to put it out over the handguards. And, as you mentioned in your post, you can't co-witness with an EO Tech and a Swan sleeve (which is why I sold mine..the Swan sleeve that is).
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]
> Don't need a cantilever spacer when you use a sleeve, plus you can extend foward more and have support right under any scope.
> Since you only hold the bottom plastic hand guard, many put the std, smaller hand guard on top for clearance and a better grip.
> Any screws or nuts can loosen if not locktighted, that's why the gov't issue the stuff.
> Actually it is a lot cheaper than buying a rail and sight separately.
> Correct, on the other hand the problem is that the eotech came out way after the rails, and so the problem is realy theirs.
> How it can be in the way of N.V. is interesting since N.V. has been mounted on sleeves and other rails from day one to now, unless it is Russian/ or after market N.V.junk.
> Apples and oranges don't mix.
> Confusing, A2 takes thier #39, not a #38 sleeve. :)
Good shootin, Jack

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've owned both.  I like the Swan Sleeve for a specific set up.

For awhile, I only had one AR so I used a Swan Sleeve to get my scope over the sight tower, then used the ARMS#40 for an iron sight rear.

Worked great when I had it.  Sold it cause I went with an EoTech on the carbine and put the scope on the Varminter.  Now, I'm interested in a standard A2 20" Gov't.

I think the Swan Sleeve is great, but even for scopes, it messes up my cheek weld.  I don't like it myself, but YMMV as everyone's taste and needs are different.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for ideas from everyone, appreciate the help (keeps me from having to buy one of everyone option).

Would be interested if anyone has much trigger time on the ~500 meter notch sight (realize this is a BUIS and is more a bonus than primary funtion).  Other option might be to replace with A1 sight "L" to get close and far distance (not for sure if "L" would stick up enough to be in the way for some optics).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top