Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2003 4:48:59 AM EDT
Without getting into all the particular's like why or better choices, How well does the Elcan work in the CQB role?  I've noticed several pics from Irag with 240's and 249's with Elcans mounted on the rail. If you ended up in a CQB role, how effective would it be? Can you use the tritium post in a similar fashion to the ACOG's?  How sensitive is the eye relief for fast mounting in a dynamic environment?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I just sold my Elcan 3.4x and took a big hit because it is worthless in a CQB situation.  The eye relief is something like an inch or an inch and a half.

Get either an EOTech or an Aimpoint.

[My Elcan was great for plinking at the range, and I really loved the reticle.  Unfortunately my latest project calls for a CQB AR-10, and the Elcan was just cumbersome to say the least.]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#2]
VSP:
I had an Elcan on my Bushmaster for a while, but when I began using the rifle for an entry gun, I quickly realized that the Elcan was far too heavy & awkward and the rifle did not handle well. The reticle works well on the range, but is not nearly quick enough to pick up for CQB. The tritium on the top of the Elcan post is not bright enough to pick up quickly when you come from bright sun or even headlights into a darkened room. The quality of the Elcan optics are super, and the scope itself is very well made, although a lot of people don't like the external windage/elevation adjustments.

I took the Elcan off & replaced it with an Aimpoint Comp M2 for entry work, & have never looked back. I haven't tried an EOTech yet for entry work, and a lot of people on this board swear by them, but for me the Aimpoint is just about perfect.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been shooting the Elcan since about 1996.

I've put 20k+ rounds through under one (fullbore) plus probably 5k more in smallbore.

I've fired the Elcan in CQB matches in the UK, one of which involves 3 exposures of only 3 seconds to fire a total of 10 rounds.  It can be done, and with a 2" bull at 25 yards, it's possible to get HPS on that.

My observations are that the Elcan is however better at longer ranges.  I shoot it out to 500m.  

If you can shoot with both eyes open and bring the optic up into your line of sight, that seems to work best.

I would disagree with CAR10's statement about the eye relief.  The Elcan's eye releif is 76mm, or about 3".  

Now, back to your question:

"I've noticed several pics from Irag with 240's and 249's with Elcans mounted on the rail. If you ended up in a CQB role, how effective would it be?"

Apples and Oranges.

M-240s and M-249's are not CQB weapons (for the most part) they are supposed to be supporting fire weapons, and using the Elcan on them allows the operator to better view and correct their fall of shot.

I've fired a fair amount of rounds through the C-9A1 (Minimi with Elcan) and while the mounting position on the topcover is not the ideal for accuracy, the ability for the gunner to observe and correct fall of shot is extremely handy.

YMMV, but I like the Elcan, and find that it's pretty damn good, as long as you have the Gen IV base.  

NavyShooter

www.canadiangunnutz.com
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Too much magnification for close in work. Like trying to drive a car while looking thru a pair of 4x binoculars. Very slow against no mag. optics or irons, you loose every time.
Eye relief much too close, field of view very poor for heads up QCB needs of fast reaction.
Bad shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I have liked my Elcan for more than 10 years.
Its my favorite "general purpose" optic.
That being said, when I get home and put it in the safe, the Elcan comes off and the mid-rail Aimpoint, flashlight, CQB sling, etc., goes on.
By the way, my zero's repeat just fine for their level of magnification.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Guys,
   Thanks, I appreciate the information. My intent is to put together a Designated Marksman type rifle for use out to 300 and I was trying to find an optic that would be very precise out to 300 yards, but could be CQB'able in a pinch.  I'm considering the Elcan and the ACOG TA-31 (Not sure which reticle yet, either the chevron or the triangle). Thanks for the responses, still have some sorting out to do.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Gotta agree the Elcan does not suit itself to CQB roles but there is a notch open sight located at the top of the scope. And it will work for the role of CQB. But its molded into the outer rubber cover and is subject to damage. With CQB its always shot placement/ center of mass. So who cares if your 4 or 5 inches off of center of bore.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gotta agree the Elcan does not suit itself to CQB roles but [red]there is a notch open sight located at the top of the scope[/red]. And it will work for the role of CQB. But its molded into the outer rubber cover and is subject to damage. With CQB its always shot placement/ center of mass. So who cares if your 4 or 5 inches off of center of bore.
View Quote

So that's what those things are.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top