Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/10/2003 7:02:48 AM EDT
Opinions wanted
1 Any thoughts about the 1st. gen 4x14x56 scopes for a AR10.
2 Any info about the change from a 56mm to a 50 mm, Quantico Arms said that the 56mm was not available due to an upgrade to a 50mm for the larger scopes, and the new scope would be avaliable at the end of August when Springfield Armory completes the conversion.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 9:48:30 AM EDT
I've had one of the SA 1 gen. scopes for about 8 years now. Works great and costs $1000 less then some others - which yes, might be better quality - whatever. The bdc works fine as does the rangefinder - I like the no touch feature of the bdc. I don't shoot in the dark often so the lit retical isn't missed. The bubble level is alright I guess - most of my shooting is between 100 and 300 yards. You'll not notice the difference between 56 and 50 mm. Most people will be well serviced with 40 mm scopes. Where the diffence will be most noticed is the cone of visibility behind the scope - divide the power of the scope into the size of the front objective to determine how big that cone of light is. The maximum size of the human pupil is about 7-8 mm. The place where this is most noticable is at the high end of the zoom scale. 56mm/14x equals 4mm 50mm/14x equals 3.56mm
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:33:36 AM EDT
BTT Thanks for the input. Will be using the scope for deer hunting and want to make the most of the dusk and dawn edges of legal hunting light. With the long range capabalities of the BDC, will try some long range stuff in the off season. Anyome else have an opinion or infor about the change by Springfield to a 50mm objective?
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:39:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2003 7:19:39 AM EDT by Greybeard]
Well I guess that I am all alone on the choice of scope. Still waiting for some info about the change to the 50mm objective lens. Really want to hear of any bad experiences with this scope, while there is still time to make a change.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:20:44 AM EDT
btt
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:39:36 PM EDT
I would suggest handling one in person if possible before you buy. I have a 40mm, and the light transmission and clarity are excellent. The reticle is hard to see at night (almost invisible), so an illuminated ret may be something to consider. My biggest problem with the SA is that the eye relief is extremely small. Once your eye is in the "sweet spot", just the *slightest* move foward or back and the image gets blurry, starting around the edges. I mean even a 1/4" of head movement caused the image to blur. I've never seen a modern scope that was so picky. Even my photo, which was taken on a tripod (!), started to blur around the edges of the lens: [img]http://home.attbi.com/~kisara/wsb/media/66713/site1042.jpg[/img] Take my advice, examine the scope you want in person, or make sure they have a good return policy just in case you aren't happy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:42:41 PM EDT
I forgot to mention, moving your head to the slightest right/left also causes the blurring around the edges. Another image, notice how the right side is starting to blur. [img]http://home.attbi.com/~kisara/wsb/media/66713/site1049.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:14:06 PM EDT
Thanks for the info, the pics are real good explaining what you are talking about,,,,,,,,,,,,,mayby I do need to back up and get something with a convential reticle. anyone else?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:02:43 PM EDT
Another current Springfield Armory scope discussion over in the Armory section: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=170726[/url]
Top Top