Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/5/2003 10:00:56 AM EDT
My intent is to set this rifle up for true varmint hunting. I want the long range capability but also want the ability to back off the optics if a coyote wanders in within 50 yards. I'm currently looking at the following scopes-

1) Leupold LPS 3.5-14 x 50mm Side Focus with Mil Dot reticle

2) Leupold 4.5-14 x 50mm Long Range M1, Mil Dot reticle

3) Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 Matte Finish, #8 Reticle

4) 57221 Swarovski 4-16x50 A/O, 2nd Plane Plex Reticle (this scope is last on my list simply because it's so damm pricy)

I really don't want to spend more on the scope than I did on the rifle so the Swarovski is probably first to be dropped from my list. I'd appreciate any educated/experienced comments or suggestions.
--RR
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:25:59 AM EDT
BTW, this is a box stock Bushy Varminter and I'm planning on using the ArmaLite one piece Scope Mount EX0027. --RR
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:37:06 AM EDT
Have you looked at the Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3. I have been real happy with these scopes. [img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=553[/img] [img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=568[/img]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:47:24 AM EDT
GI_Brat, tell me about your mounts please.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:04:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Joe_556: GI_Brat, tell me about your mounts please.
View Quote
A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG), #21 STANAG Rings on top of Bushmaster's Mini Risers. As advertised by A.R.M.S. the throw-lever mount is a return to zero every time. This mounting system is very durable. Actually a pair of #22 Low Rings will work just as well (a lot cheaper too)...it's all about personal preference. [img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=554[/img]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:09:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2003 11:16:25 AM EDT by the1_roadrunner]
Originally Posted By GI_Brat: Have you looked at the Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3. I have been real happy with these scopes. [url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=553[/url] [url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=568[/url]
View Quote
Am I seeing double or do you have 2 identical rifles? How do you like the 40mm in low light conditions? Do the adjustment knobs click? Why the preference for the stacked scope mounts rather than a one piece? Thanks --RR edit- are those Harris Bipods? mounts?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:29:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By the1_roadrunner:
Originally Posted By GI_Brat: Have you looked at the Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3. I have been real happy with these scopes. [url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=553[/url] [url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=568[/url]
View Quote
Am I seeing double or do you have 2 identical rifles? How do you like the 40mm in low light conditions? Why the preference for the stacked scope mounts rather than a one piece? Thanks --RR edited to ask- Bipods and mounts?
View Quote
No smoke and mirrors here, yes there are two Varminters..well actually three. The Third is an A2/DCM Varminter custom built by Bushmaster. Nothing will ever beat a 50mm optics for gathering light (IMHO), however the 40mm does real well. As far as the mounting system, I was looking for a solid base, quick detachable system that didn't require a screwdriver or pliers and I wanted to utilize the "min-risers". [i]Bushmaster Modular Accessories System Mini-Risers - add 1/2" height to scope mounting on the flat-top receiver for correct sight picture and comfortable “cheek-weld” on the stock[/i] I went with a Harris Series "S" Model "L"
Top Top