Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2003 10:00:56 AM EDT
My intent is to set this rifle up for true varmint hunting. I want the long range capability but also want the ability to back off the optics if a coyote wanders in within 50 yards. I'm currently looking at the following scopes-

1) Leupold LPS 3.5-14 x 50mm Side Focus with Mil Dot reticle

2) Leupold 4.5-14 x 50mm Long Range M1, Mil Dot reticle

3) Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 Matte Finish, #8 Reticle

4) 57221 Swarovski 4-16x50 A/O, 2nd Plane Plex Reticle (this scope is last on my list simply because it's so damm pricy)

I really don't want to spend more on the scope than I did on the rifle so the Swarovski is probably first to be dropped from my list. I'd appreciate any educated/experienced comments or suggestions.
--RR
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
BTW, this is a box stock Bushy Varminter and I'm planning on using the ArmaLite one piece Scope Mount EX0027.
--RR
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you looked at the Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3. I have been real happy with these scopes.
[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=553[/img]
[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=568[/img]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#3]
GI_Brat, tell me about your mounts please.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
GI_Brat, tell me about your mounts please.
View Quote

A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG), #21 STANAG Rings on top of Bushmaster's Mini Risers.
As advertised by A.R.M.S. the throw-lever mount is a return to zero every time. This mounting system is very durable.
Actually a pair of #22 Low Rings will work just as well (a lot cheaper too)...it's all about personal preference.
[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=554[/img]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3. I have been real happy with these scopes.
[url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=553[/url]
[url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=568[/url]
View Quote

Am I seeing double or do you have 2 identical rifles? How do you like the 40mm in low light conditions? Do the adjustment knobs click? Why the preference for the stacked scope mounts rather than a one piece?
Thanks --RR

edit- are those Harris Bipods? mounts?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=553[/url]
[url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=568[/url]
View Quote

Am I seeing double or do you have 2 identical rifles? How do you like the 40mm in low light conditions? Why the preference for the stacked scope mounts rather than a one piece?
Thanks --RR

edited to ask- Bipods and mounts?
View Quote

No smoke and mirrors here, yes there are two Varminters..well actually three. The Third is an A2/DCM Varminter custom built by Bushmaster.

Nothing will ever beat a 50mm optics for gathering light (IMHO), however the 40mm does real well.

As far as the mounting system, I was looking for a solid base, quick detachable system that didn't require a screwdriver or pliers and I wanted to utilize the "min-risers".
[i]Bushmaster Modular Accessories System Mini-Risers - add 1/2" height to scope mounting on the flat-top receiver for correct sight picture and comfortable “cheek-weld” on the stock[/i]

I went with a Harris Series "S" Model "L"
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top