Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 5:31:07 PM EDT
Hi all,
I was wondering if I mount a low power scope (ACOG) on top of my M96 and sight it in with the Expeditionary barrel and switch over to the Recon barrel does the point of aim change significantly under 200 yards?
Just wondering how to proceed
Thanks
Mark
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
In theory yes - more velocity is going to mean less bullet drop - the less time momma nature has to act on the bullet until it reaches a given point the less it drops due to gravity or gets blown by the wind.

In practice I would bet that the mounting of each barrel is going to cause a greater displacement of the bullet then the 100 feet or so of velocity. Even pulling and replacing the same barrel on the same rifle is going to change the point of impact some tiny ammount - how much you'll have to measure.

Enough to put bullets out of the X ring and into the 10 ring - probably. Enough to put bullets out of the center-of-mass (COM) of somebody at 100 yards doubtfully.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Try it out and let us know (nothing better than hard data - much better than sitting around BSing about it).

I think Paul is right there will be a decrease in MV will change it a bit - but it should not be enough to be a concern at 200 yards and under.

The real problem, as he points out, is the how the barrels interface with the receiver.  That will vary a bit from barrel to barrel.  You'll most likely see greater changes in point of impact due to this issue.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top