Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2003 3:09:30 PM EDT
I have carry handle A2 that will be a flattop as soon as I get my vise block

I also bought an EOTech 502 (thanks SMGLee)  that will be going on it.

Coupla questions. #1-Are Model One flattops milspec? Mine has the markings in the rails.  Want to know if I'll need higher front sight.

#2- Feedback on the ARMS #40 vs the Bushmaster A2 style BUIS.  How is the cowitness with the BM with Holosight mounted on receiver?

Anyone have picrures through the sights?

If A2 style is obstrucive I'd prefer a fold-down, but I also like the idea of keeping the elevation wheel.

Thanks for the help-past and future.

You've made an ARaddict out of this Frankenfal'er.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't comment on the model 1 flat-tops since I don't have one, but I've been using the arms number 40s since they first came out years ago. I think I still have my first one even, with the big windage knob. for the same money nothing else does the job better, and I don't see any reason to buy anything else for a flip up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
BIS? Go ARMS #40 or Go home.

(I think I used someone's sig line without proper permission [:D])
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Do any of you actually have any experience with the BM Flip Up.  I just ordered one and should be getitng it in a couple days.  It's going on a RRA with a Bushnell Holosight, that I got brand new for $175 with the 1 moa dot.  As long as it does what its intended, which is a [b]back[/b] [b]up[/b] [b]sight[/b], in the event the primary sight fails, I don't see what the major problem would be.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive seen the BM BUIS, but not used it.  I dont need to.  The ARMS 40 is light years ahead of it, and having seen and used the ARMS, as well as the GG&G and KAC units, the ARMS 40 is BY FAR the pick of the litter.

The spring loaded mechanism makes it fast to deploy, and eliminates any worries about damaging it in hard use, or having it get folded down when it needs to be up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked at the removable BM sight(doesn't fold down) on Taran Butler's (Top IPSC 3-Gunner) gun and asked what he thought.  He remarked that the sight is a little further forward then he'd prefer.  I agreed.  That said, I bought an ARMS 40.  As many on this board have suggested, I find the trimmed "Horizon" line bothersome so should have got the 40A.  I'm not sure yet about the lack of elevation adjustment but my inclination is that I'd like to have it like the fixed BM unit.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Bill223 got it right!  I'm refering to the BM fixed removable A2 style sight, not their fold down.  I'm curious if the wether the rear sight being in the eotech's sight picture is bothersome.  Still wondering if anyone has pics of sight picture with the eotech and the BM nonfoldableA2removable sight.

If I get a flip down, I am definately leaning to the ARMS #40A, but like I said, adjustable elevation is cool.  If we all like to adjust our elevation at the front sight the A2 sight would.ve never came to be.

Is the ARMS longer range aperature at a different elevation then the close range, thus compensating for the elevation change, or is it just a smaller aperature like the A2?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I did a quick and dirty 50 yd zero while breaking in the barrel with the large aperture.  I stopped when windage was about right and my point of impact was about 4" below point of aim.  Yesterday I shot 3 shots with the small aperture and point of impact was about 4" above point of aim.  There are after-market apertures that have both on the same plane.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Bill, I'm probably gonna go with the #40 knowing that it is calibrated for the distances they claim it to be.

Adrenaline Arms is local so I'll probably go with them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're talking about their fixed A2 style adjustable, KevinB can tell you about how easy the small attachment knobs break off.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Is that the BM your speaking of Lumpy?- I know it can't be the ARMS.  Bill & I were referring to the ARMS (I believe).
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont have enough coffee in my yet apparently. I was thinking of DPMS, so disregard my last.  I'll stop posting now.

Sober, were you originally talking about this?:

[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/Images/yhm-641.gif[/img]

If you are looking for a fixed rear, get a carry handle and cut it or spend the big bucks and get an LMT from Wes at MSTN.

Ive confused myself now.

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
'Saright..

Hooking up with Adrenaline Arms later for a #40, so I too can expound the virtues of ARMS sights.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool...now that Ive proven Im a blathering idiot.

Good move on your part.  You wont be disappointed. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#15]
OK, I'll humble myself and admit when I was wrong.  I got the BMAS flip up rear sight and realized that it was junk.  The base is one piece and has to be slid on from the front.  When you lock it in the up position it does not lock tight and moves back and forth a short distance.  I don't know if it's enough to screw up your point of aim, but I didn't want to take any chances.  

I sent it back and had them send me an ARMS #40 and a new front sight post.  I would have probably got it through someone else, but they agreed to not charge me any shipping on the ARMS.  So I only lost out on the $4 to ship it back.  You'd think they'd be a little more honest with you, because the guy told me that it would work better for me than the ARMS.  Oh well, now I know for next..
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Now see, I can even agree with lumpy some time:)
The slight front to back wiggle on the BN has no adverse effect on the accuracy, but the locking up can be a problem if you hit it and it breaks instead of giving like the #40 does.
Good shootin. Jack
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Got mine from Adrenaline Arms yesterday.  #40 delivered to my door! Personally!

Great service.

Now if only the guy I bought my receiver vice block from would get the thing to me I'd have a functional flattop!

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top