Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/1/2003 4:27:00 PM EDT
Anyone have an aimpoint mounted on their AR with an a2 upper. Is there a way to mount one besides on the carry handle, and how does it perform? Any pics would be great. I don't have a flattop and dont really want to spend the money to change over to one. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:48:53 PM EDT
Aimpoint makes a goose-neck mount that places the sight in front of the carry handle, allowing the sight to co-witness the irons. ARMS also makes a similar mount (the #39A2) that includes a rail on top of the carry handle, in case you want to add something there, as well. Cav Arms makes a mount very similar to the Aimpoint mount. Benny Cooley makes an adjustable goose-neck mount, which is available from Bushmaster. [url]www.aimpoint.com[/url] [url]www.armsmounts.com[/url] [url]www.cavalryarms.com[/url] [url]www.bushmaster.com[/url] There are a lot more out there to choose from, but these will get you started.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:01:26 PM EDT
I'd go with the ARMS mount over the Aimpoint. Unless they changed their deign, the Aimpoint mount isn't as secure as the ARMS mount, which has 2 mounting points as compared to the one screw for the hole in the carry handle. Anyone try the Ben Cooley mount yet? I like the idea of the adjustability for M4 handguards, but I'm wondering if it as sturdy as the ARMS mount.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2003 6:51:08 PM EDT by Zardoz]
Anyone try the Ben Cooley mount yet? I like the idea of the adjustability for M4 handguards, but I'm wondering if it as sturdy as the ARMS mount.
View Quote
I'm curious to see a review, myself. I haven't been able to tell, but if it's a simple slide-adjuster held by screw tension, I doubt it'd be anywhere near as durable as the #39A2. Different sets of screw holes, though...
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:27:11 AM EDT
Both the Aimpoint Forward Mount and ARMS #39A2Plus perform the same function. The Aimpoint Mount is USGI for the M16A2 and holds zero. The #39 has more flexibility as it allows the sight to go farther forward. I have the ARMS on my early M4 carbine with fixed handle. I've used the Aimpoint model without problems on the M16A2. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:28:28 PM EDT
Thought I saw a pic of an aimpoint mounted on the front handguards ahead of the carry handle? Is that possible? Like to see some pics if possible.[:D]
Top Top