Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2003 2:30:25 PM EDT
I am considering mounting a ML2/M2 onto an A2 upper (carry handle). I am looking into the forward carry handle mount or a carry handle mount that mounts the sight on top of the carry handle. Will mounting the sight on the carry handle make using the sight (on top) awkward? Any pictures would be helpful. Co-witnessing the sight with the iron sights is not a concern.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
For your regular bench shooting, you will come into problems with zeroing.  With the Aimpoint mounted this high, getting a consistant zero will be harder.  Think of a triangle.  POI (zero) is one corner.  The higher you raise the optic, the longer one side gets, increasing the angle formed by the bullet path and your optic view.  Now if you extend these two paths, forming an "X" at the zero, you will get a larger angle formed, so the further back you you travel from the zero the greater the variance formed.  So in essence, the closer you keep the optic to the barrel, the better your zero will be at changing distances.

Now as far as tactical shooting, imageing yourself fireing from cover, let's say over a wall.  With the Optic mounted that high you will have to show more of your head.  You will spend more time shooting the wall than hitting your target because the optic will clear the wall way before the barrel does.  I'm not even going to get into how hard it would be shooting from under a car...[:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
For over thirty years, optics have been mounted up there and still are, they will give you good service. Espec since it is a fast target set up, not a sniper hug down lower magnified optic.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
just got finished doing exactly that. i got to say i think this is a great setup. the gooseneck i used cost 119 bucks, man its easy to dump a load on these rifles. i have a 3x9x40 mounted on top of my carry handle 20 inch h bar put a quality made checkrest and im very happy with it. to the tune of half inch groups. for a red dot on my m4 the forward mount is certainly kick ass.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
any pics?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top