Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 8:15:28 AM EDT
I need a scope that will primarily be used for target shooting / plinking.  Don't want to get an el cheapo, and don't want to bust the bank either.  Any suggestions?  Budget of around $200.

Thanks

-Craig
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=32[/url]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Leupold Compact 3-9x33.  Excellent scope around $240.  Can't beat a Loopy!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
cmbmw, you could get a Simmons Aetec from Wally World for $100, and a target barrel for that 10/22...the combination of those 2 things will do a lot for both target shooting and plinking.  I've got an Aetec 3.8x12, and it's a lot of scope for the money...it would be perfect for what you have in mind.  I've got it on an AR now, with a set of ARMS #22 high rings, fwiw.  

Several companies make drop in, factory channel target barrels.  Green Mountain has 2 at least.

I'm sure the Leupold is a fine scope...but it's almost twice what you paid for the rifle, and isn't really gonna help it shoot any better.

A stock 10/22 is not gonna be a tackdriver, and you probably aren't gonna be using match ammo...so you're gonna have an accuracy issue that the best glass in the world isn't gonna solve.  

Between a new barrel, and a hammer replacement, you're group size will drop in half, I can pretty much guarantee it.  After you've done that, then look at scopes.  

BTW, I have a 36x BSA on my 10/22 lol...I like to be REAL sure of the bullseye [:D]  But I wouldn't hesitate to put that Aetec on a your 10/22.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to change the subject but how about recommendations for Scope Mounts? I've been considering adding a scope to my son's 10/22.
--RR
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a couple of inexpensive after market mounts for the 10/22...I think volquartsen makes one.  I don't know what I have...got them right after I got the rifle, and never gave 'em another thought.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top