Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2003 5:23:28 PM EDT
Looking into first spotting scopes, and would rather spend the grand or so on other firearms, the scopes I'm looking at are the Guardforce CT-200(20-60x80mm), or the Winchester20-60x80mm, both come with table tripods, cases, soft and hard, and both are within $25. of each other. Any helwould be appreciated, want to get one this week, thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at Leupold Windriver, it's under $200 and it's bright and clear.  Eye relief is short and doesn't come with tripods, but these tripods that come with cheap scopes are terrible anyway.  If you buy one of the cheap ass scopes you'll just end up tossing it later because it sucks so bad, just ask anyone that wasted his money on cheap optics in an attempt to save it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
A low cost spotting scope might work for pistols, however, trying to see .22 holes in the black at 200 yards (or even 100 yards depending on lighting) gets to be impossible with the budget scopes.

This is an area where best to try before you fly (i.e. some one at the range and look through their's).  Have a couple of nices ones, however, as they are 20+ years old not really of help to you.

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look through some KOWA glass.  I know you have heard it a million times when it comes to optics, but you really do get what you pay for.  Their 60MM models are reasonable.
Mike, NY
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatever you do, stay away from those Winchester spotting scopes. I purchased one ($101) just last weekend on my way to the range. Man, what a POS!! There was a minimal of focus that could be adjusted. Anything past 50-m. was not visible, it was simply too blurry. I took it back immediately afterwards and told the store of what a POS this thing was and got my money back.

The funny thing is that the range I go to has a spotting scope that they let people use. I've seen that particular spotting scope listed at Midway for like $60, and it was head and shoulders above that Winchester. Go figure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:17:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I would have to say save up and get a Kowa,Optics are very clear.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Duffy. I am very happy with my Windriver. Bright, water proof, and at 45x at 200 yards you can see your target clearly. However a cheap tripod is very hard to use at higher mag. I believe you can also buy it as a kit with case and tripod from Natchez Shooters Supplies.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top