Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/13/2003 12:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2003 1:18:36 PM EDT by sgtbob]
http://homepage.mac.com/hollybird/AR15_scoped_page/AR15-SCOPED.jpg

Vintage 1964 SP-1 lower required a stepped front takedown pin to mate to the new upper, and I dropped in an Accuwedge. I chose the DPMS upper to maintain clean lines and eliminate the unnecessary (for me) forward assist, ejection port cover, and brass deflector found on other uppers. Aluminum flutted/floating handguard was drilled & tapped to accept the sling swivel/Harris bipod stud.

20" barrel is an NOS chrome lined military (SACO Defense) 1 in 14" twist; this rare barrel was the point of the project. My gunsmith milled and flemished a military front sight tower to make the custom gas block. I thought the 5.5" flash hider gave it an "FAL" look.

The ArmaLite mount works excellent with the IOR M2 scope. I bought the NATO reticle and I'm very happy with it. I was worried about the width of the integral rings on the mount, but the actual width is 3/4", far less than on the internet image everyone uses (inlcluding ArmaLite).

I shot it wearing clear shooting glasses with the rubber eyepiece removed. Off the bench it gave me no problems, but a few rounds from offhand did touch the glasses - so be careful without that rubber (sounds like sex-ed).

My initial testing with 55 grain South African ammo yielded no malfunctions. Accuracy was tested at 50 yards, indoors from a so-so bench - off the bipod and shouldered. Once zeroed, my best group of 3 rounds all touched. We'll see how it does at longer ranges - I can't wait!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:25:55 PM EDT
Nice looking rifle; very clean and un-cluttered.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:14:40 PM EDT
Excellent example of "K.I.S.S." Nice!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:20:34 PM EDT
Very nice rifle! Looks real sleek. Nice choice in the upper.
Top Top