Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 6:39:25 PM EDT
I have to face it----there's no way I can justify $300+ for a red dot sight. Still, I would like to get an all around decent and affordable ($50 or so rigth now) for a red dot sight to get accustommed to the concept and use it on my 10/22 and 9mm handgun and maybe, just maybe, use it when to guys get together for that evil, para-militia game known as paintball.

So, where I'm going is here: if the Aimpoint and Trijicon units are 90-100% of what one could need, where would BSA's 42mm red dot fall on the percentage scale?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:58:03 PM EDT
For most range shooters... 70%, for an operator, 25% - better than nothing. However, as the vast majority of us are range commandoes it will do just fine until you can save up for a used Aimpoint Comp M or ML... about $150-$200.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:48:46 PM EDT
I hear Tasco ProPoint is pretty good, tough and reliable.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:48:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HiramRanger: For most range shooters... 70%, ....
View Quote
OK, that's the detail I left out (but perhaps everyone figured out): I'm just an average civilian looking to hone my shooting skills; I'm not an operator whose safety could be at risk if the unit fails. I'm just looking to get a reference point as to the quality and operation of the different systems. Thanks for the responses so far. Anyone else care to throw out a number for reference sake.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:56:33 AM EDT
I am in the same boat as you...I want a reddot sight on my AR attached to the carry handle. I too am very curious about the BSA sights. I want to put some flip up lens caps on it and have a good CQB set up on the cheap side...So basically are they any good? Tasco ProPoint what are they running price wise? Thanks for your help...
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:29:33 PM EDT
15%? Beats an AK iron sight, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:22:48 AM EDT
I don't know if I'd use any of these for paintball as the ball can damage the optic. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:44:18 AM EDT
I like good optics, and have been stung by inexpensive optic (Tasco PDP5) failure just once and learned my lesson. Might I suggest you learn to use the iron sights more effectively if a good optic (any type) is out of financial reach. I dont know what the present sights are like on your paintball gun, but they may be upgradeable to a good adjustable peep sight. A good receiver sight (peep sight) is not flashy but makes a god hunting sight for offhand use in most cases.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:07:02 AM EDT
I know a few people who've used BSA dots on handguns. Most failed withing the first 50 rounds. :(
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:11:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/14/2003 11:15:52 AM EDT by Green0]
BSA is about rock bottom as far as quality is concerned esspecially with red dots. Try a JP Enterprise J-point (10%brighter dot than Optima) or even the cheaper a Used Tasco Optima 2000. These sights are pretty nice and under $200 I can say this (you will be better off with the aimpoint or iron sights than a BSA) what is wrong with iron sights?? I know they aren't perfect but outside of the premium price "combat" optics you won't find a better replacement For cheap magnified optics I reccomend a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9 or 4power I've used them on a lot of guns and they can't be beat for less than $60-90 and cost about $25-$35. [b]Paintball is totally PC (neon ping guns and polished crome parts- TV slots on Cable, Magazines etc. Try Airsoft if you want an un-PC sport[/b] remember with A NM front and rear sight on an A2 (20in Ar) about a $100 setup a Expert rifleman can put 3 shots in less than 1/2 an inch at 100yds (granted the NM sights don't work well in low light but this is an example of how accurate irons an be. All you get with a dot is slightly faster aquisition over irons The magnified optics give you added precision and better and more positive target ID.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:25:48 AM EDT
Top Top